Maglite LED Rebel 2D vs. 3D

o0o

Enlightened
I was able to find one of each, but I think I prefer the 3D for the hopefully longer runtime. When set to maximum throw, the beam is good quality (very little of the slop that the incandescent Mags have). However, when set for flood that ugly black hole rears its head just like the incandescent models.

Overall though, I'm very happy ... I never would have touched the Mag LEDs if it were not for these Rebel versions (I bought an older version just for comparsion though).

I also picked up a multi switch 2AA and standard 2AA for comparison.

There is no way that my 2AA LED multi-switch is at 40 lumens on high. It looks more like 20 lumens. The lower output level looks about right (5'ish lumens). For the price though, it appears to be quite useful.

Those of you that picked up both 2D and 3D models, which is your favorite? How flat regulation are you getting, and what does the runtime graphs look like?

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was able to find one of each, but I think I prefer the 3D for the hopefully longer runtime. When set to maximum throw, the beam is good quality (very little of the slop that the incandescent Mags have). However, when set for flood that ugly black hole rears its head just like the incandescent models.

Overall though, I'm very happy ... I never would have touched the Mag LEDs if it were not for these Rebel versions (I bought an older version just for comparsion though).

I also picked up a multi switch 2AA and standard 2AA for comparison.

There is no way that my 2AA LED multi-switch is at 40 lumens on high. It looks more like 20 lumens. The lower output level looks about right (5'ish lumens). For the price though, it appears to be quite useful.

Those of you that picked up both 2D and 3D models, which is your favorite? How flat regulation are you getting, and what does the runtime graphs look like?

Glad you like the 3D Rebel version, I'm sure it's pretty nice.

I highly doubt the 2AA multi mode Rebel is only 20 lumens. The old single mode luxeon 2AA LED was over 30 lumens, and it uses a luxeon emitter.
40 lumens isn't very impressive anymore, so that's prolly why you think it's wicked dim compared to your other lights.

o0o

Enlightened
Glad you like the 3D Rebel version, I'm sure it's pretty nice.

I highly doubt the 2AA multi mode Rebel is only 20 lumens. The old single mode luxeon 2AA LED was over 30 lumens, and it uses a luxeon emitter.
40 lumens isn't very impressive anymore, so that's prolly why you think it's wicked dim compared to your other lights.

That is a good point. Some of my Cree Surefire drop ins are rated at 150 lumens, so I may have forgotten what 40 lumens looks like.

o0o

Enlightened
Has anyone seen a 4D Luxeon Rebel Maglite in local stores?

This may be a handy model for even more runtime.

GPB

Enlightened
If you really want some killer run time, you can take the multi-stage LED out of the mini mag and put it into the 2D mag. You could run the 2D light on low forever, and still have the high when you wanted it.