AW RCR123a edc options??

sj29

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a edc flashlight that supports AW RCR123a.....trying to not use cr123's as much....because of $$ and the environment.....what are your thoughts?? Here are my needs and some of my ideas....

AW RCR123a --http://www.lighthound.com/AW-RCR123a-Protected-750-mAh-Battery_p_114.html --6.99 per batt.

AW's Nano Charger --https://www.eagletac-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=53_57&products_id=210 --8.00

edc - led - AW RCR123 - single cr123 - tail stand - great throw, good spill - small size with clip -$40-$80 - clicky - simple 2 mode - good runtime - used for edc for everyday use (dog walking, household chores, quick lighting needs at night) -
thanks for your help:)

skyva

Newly Enlightened
I use a nightcore ex-10 with a AW rc123 as an edc. It has good throw and spill, and is pretty hardy. It doesn't have a 2 click system for brightness, but has a very effective UI in my opinion. I tend to run the ex-10 either 100% or on lowest low. You can move between these points very easily by clicking and holding (goes from low to 100% instantly) or double cliking (goes from high to lowest low instantly). The lowest low is great for navigating the bedroom when the wife is asleep. I have throwers like a tiablo a9, dbs clone etc. but the ex-10 has the best compromise in my opinion. Saying that, I will carry a thrower and the ex-10 if I am heading to the back paddck and I want to spot foxes at 50m+. If I am spotting a possum in a tree (~5-15m) the ex-10 is great.
It did not have a clip when I bought mine but you may find one now.
The only problem I have is that when the battery runs out when on 100% output, the light just cuts out completely with no warning. Leaving it a couple of minutes and trying again doesn't work, and as the UI is driven electrically, you don't seem to be able to drop to low to get more run time. That could be the AW cell's protective circuit kicking in though.
Overall I carry it everywhere. It is in my suit jacket pocket now.

oldpal

Enlightened
Go for the Nitecore EX10. I use it with AW RCR123s. It needs a little break-in period for the rechargeable batteries, but works great then.

Hugh

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore EX10, Liteflux LF3XT, Dereelight C2H are a few in my EDC line up that use R123's.

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you enjoy saving money, look at the AKOray k109a. I've got a review in my sig. It tailstands, takes CR and RCR, has a clip, looks good and has 3 programmable modes. Mine's been working great as an EDC so far.

scottaw

Enlightened
Try to pick up a Novatac 120P used on the marketplace, i've seen them around $80 recently. Even an "older" design, it still never leaves my pocket, absolutely perfect edc (for me)

And just skip that nano charger and get the WF139 fast charger, the nano takes FOREVER and i was less likely to keep batts charged because of it. I can use the 139 to top off 2 batts in about an hour. The nano took about 8 and i didn't trust it enough to leave it unattended.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking for a edc flashlight that supports AW RCR123a.....trying to not use cr123's as much....because of $$ and the environment.....what are your thoughts?? Here are my needs and some of my ideas....

AW RCR123a --http://www.lighthound.com/AW-RCR123a-Protected-750-mAh-Battery_p_114.html --6.99 per batt.

AW's Nano Charger --https://www.eagletac-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=53_57&products_id=210 --8.00

edc - led - AW RCR123 - single cr123 - tail stand - great throw, good spill - small size with clip -$40-$80 - clicky - simple 2 mode - good runtime - used for edc for everyday use (dog walking, household chores, quick lighting needs at night) -
thanks for your help:)
SureFire E1e with a Lumens Factory HO-E1R + AWRCR123. By far, my favorite EDC.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try to pick up a Novatac 120P used on the marketplace, i've seen them around $80 recently. Even an "older" design, it still never leaves my pocket, absolutely perfect edc (for me)

And just skip that nano charger and get the WF139 fast charger, the nano takes FOREVER and i was less likely to keep batts charged because of it. I can use the 139 to top off 2 batts in about an hour. The nano took about 8 and i didn't trust it enough to leave it unattended.
The WF-139 is very unreliable, it doesn't respect any parameters and limits when recharging Li-ion batteries. You might want to ditch it and get a Pila IBC. The Nano might be slow but it is safer than those Ultrafire pieces of crap.

scottaw

Enlightened
I've considered the Pila, but i don't trust ANY charger unattended, so basically I just use the fastest one and always pull the batteries immediately on green light, no problems yet. (Fire extinguisher close by just incase though)

sj29

Newly Enlightened
still no feedback on the p10c eagletac??.....looks like the throw on this one is great.....but I would like to hear from you guys?? I was considering the ex10 or the lf3xt....but wanted something more simple....2 mode clicky(tactical)....that's where the p10c came into play....

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
still no feedback on the p10c eagletac??.....looks like the throw on this one is great.....but I would like to hear from you guys?? I was considering the ex10 or the lf3xt....but wanted something more simple....2 mode clicky(tactical)....that's where the p10c came into play....
I have the T10C (same engine+LED as P10C) , is it my brightest single CR123 light, I highly recommend it.

iTorch

Newly Enlightened
I will second the Novatac suggestion, you might find a cheaper 85 version and then you can use the easter egg to upgrade it to 120 for free.
I have a 120P version, with a nano charger and have been using the same Awrcr123a for 18 months so far no problems!
That light goes everywhere I go, its perfect!

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
$60 for an LF3XT and you'll have a remarkably versatile general use light with a gorgeous beam. Programmable. Can be as simple or as sophisticated as you want it to be. Built-in, precise cell tester (under load!). Tailstands. Verrrry low minimum (great for night adapted eyes around the house or out). Quick to min (two taps). Quick to max (tap then tap-hold). Ramp to anything in between with just a press-hold. And it will soon have an available two AA body tube for extra versatility. Highly recommended.

If you can go with a 14500 Li-Ion, the AKOray K-106 Q5 is a stellar, programmable, 3-mode light that impresses the heck out of (and most who have gotten one). About $21 incl. shipping. Tailstands. Just a bit longer than an RCR light, but you can run it with 14500 Li-Ion, AA lithium primary, AA NiMH rechargeable, or just a plain old AA alkaline. Awesome light.

I believe the K-109 is the RCR123 version of the K-106.... it would be worth considering for sure!

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/231545

Last edited: