Dream Beam

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe I've stumbled across or have been awarded the privilege of owning a true dream beam . The category is pocketable 1W LS lights.

When this light arrived I put a spankin' new, fingerprint and dust free NX05 optic in it.

I want to be careful about the description because I compared it against the beams of lights I own that were built by some of the master builder/modders at CPF and I really like those lights a lot. I don't have any ARC LSxs or any SF Kxs.

I would like to say that comparison references might not include full regard for the specific intent of the comparitors

Late 2002 BadBoy 500 on new alks: I'm nuts about BB500s. Perfectly regulated snow-white light. I know a little about these lights and knowing a little is to know a lot. When the dream beam light is compared against the BB500 the BB500 is outmatched in brightness though its' snow-white color is present. The dream beam is just brighter.

Late 2002 MadMax on new liths: I'm quite nuts about the MM for way too many reasons to resolve here. Brighter than the BB500 in its' first several moments on fresh lithiums and lasting much longer in run time; it is a spectacular light. When the dream beam of the light I've been given the precious opportunity to own is compared against it, again the beam of the dreamy flashlight nudges the MadMax on out of there.

Late 2002 LGI II on new alks: I'll try to be particularly very careful here. When both beams are fired up they both have that full moon color I like. When the dream beam is pushed into the LGI II's beam the responding target becomes brighter. When the LGI II is pushed into the dream beam the LGI II's top 33 % of hotspot clearly invades the dream beam. The LGI II wins in beam intensity and throw. However, the fact that the dream beam's hotspot is at least double the size of the LGI II's hotspot it astounds me. It has such a usable amount of hotspot light it is amazing.

This is one of the reasons it is so fine. The footprint of the hotspot is so large and powerful that its' intensity can be compared to an LGI II. Its' regulation can compared to a BB500. Its' runtime can be compared to a MadMax.

Well, what about the case? The dream beam wins hands down. At just over 100 millimeters tall it is much shorter and more robust than any of the fore mentioned lights. It is brutal in its' statement of presence yet elegant in its' form.

It has two conflicting yet complimentary textures. A beautiful electro-plating in a silvery metal protects the bezel, the motorcycle head, the barrel and the end cap. The clip is highly specialized and unique.

Pocketability? The dream beam wins again. Though it would look good in a shadow box it was born to ride and so it will. At one point I misplaced it then found it in my pocket…where it should be.

Problems? The only problem I had with it is that it came with just one battery.

Availability? Not very available at all but not totaly unobtainable. I think there are plans for do-it-yourselfers to attain one. I got this dream beam via the grace, guidance, sympathy and kindness of one of the CPF graybeards. He was also a member of the team of extraordinary gentlemen that built it.

I hesitated about posting my impressions of a light that would be almost impossible to own, but decided it was so excellent I should go ahead and let everyone know what I thought about it and confirm that flashlights we dream about do exist and they do have dream beams.

hyeTotum

Newly Enlightened
Zounds, Man!!! Now I'm tryin' to wipe the drool outta the keyboard! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

It's just not fair, I tell ya. Ah well, maybe someday -- or maybe next life...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Anyhow, thanks for the nice comparison/review...

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, hyeTotum.

Welcome to CPF in case no one has said so.

Yes, sir. I'm a bit passionate about this light.

Zounds? Is there any better expletive than zounds? I don't know but me thinks it should be re-incorporated into normal conversation.

- Jeff

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
sflate said:
OK, what is the "Dream Beam"? Any pics?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sound a lot like a McDream Beam to me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pictures! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re:dream beam of the McLux

Yes, my BAD. My Apologies.

Most definitely, it is a McLux.

It is a superlative flashlight.

Last night I went to an ATM and the overhead lighting was out. Great. The McLux is very nice to carry.

I have darell to thank for this.

The light included a thank you card from the Skunk Team that was a picture of all of them. It reminded me that this was created by a group of talented guys that came to an agreement that produced this sterling work. Seven guys agreeing on how to build anything is rare indeed.

Thanks Skunks!

Darell

Flashaholic

Shucks. (digs toe in sand).... you're too kind.

Believe me when I say that we didn't agree on everything at every turn. But the light ended up pretty darn close to what we'd envisioned.

I'm glad I twisted your arm into owning one now. ;-)

paulr

Flashaholic

I just got one, with thanks and mega cheers to McGizmo. It has the McFlood reflector. I have several NX05 lights and for this class of light I like the McFlood quite a bit better. I'd say the McFlood makes a dreamier beam than the NX05. But the McLux is still the dream light either way, because whatever your dream beam is, you can configure the light that way. It's the closest thing I've seen to perfection in a flashlight. Anyway, I encourage you to give the McFlood a try if you haven't yet. You might just find yourself addicted.

Pleasant dreams!

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

paulr -

I like both. Yes sir, McFlood is most excellent. Most of my uses are up close work and for that it is the best I've seen. Also, this light was designed to use McFlood so it's not surprising it works so well. I've been changing back and forth between it and the NX05. I find I like McFlood quite a bit for many uses.

It would be nice if a McA2D2 (McGizmo A2 Dreamteam II) came out this year. It reminds me a little of R2D2. I notice they are going to try to get a few more Turn Keys together and they are individually looking at many different configurations. Any productions the Dream Team does will get scarfed up quickly. I'm not going to hold my breath though. This must have been very brain/labor intensive.

Here's a few things I've experienced. As I've mentioned, McLux is very happy to be carried. I wore light brown khakis/white shirt today with McLux on belt. Nobody noticed it. It blended in with the light colored clothes which was a surprise to me.

darell explained the adjustment on the clip and remembering that some Modders use spark plug pliers to hold parts, I used them to adjust the clip. I removed the clip, being very carefull with the soft screws, angled the SPPs so that the opposing touch points were in the valley of the mounting surface then I bent the Ti clip. Took 3 min. and I understand why the screws are soft. I wouldn't want hard screws that could foul up the threads of the stand-up-tailcap.

While I was playing with the reflector and optics I came across this useful thing that I'm sure other members already knew: With the McLux on and in the stand up position drop a spare NX05 face down on the lens of the McLux...instant CandlePowerMode.

paulr

Flashaholic

No I didn't know the trick of dropping a spare NX05 on the lens. I'll give it a try. I do find the McLux lights a small room rather nicely by just standing it on end so the light bounces off the ceiling. It fills the room with a soft, pleasant light that's bright enough for most normal activities not involving close-up vision (e.g. reading or PC board repair).

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

I see what you mean. As designed and as delivered the McLux is a multi-functional great light reaching many zeniths effortlessly w/o tweaking of any kind.

...but do you like it?

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

Great tips guys. I didnt' know about the effect of just dropping the NX05 on the existing light standing on its end. Like paul, I've found that just the reflection off the ceiling lights up the bedroom just enough to get dressed by in the morning, without waking the boss up.

Icebreak, I'd like to hear more about the belt-carry of the McLux. To be honest, those 2-little screws holding that monster clip in has always, in my mind, been the weekest part of the McLux. I'm fearful that too much pulled-force on the clip will pull those screws right out. Should I be concerned?

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

McFlood,
Received my two BB400 Q3L mods today (and the McFlood, mineral glass, Kroll and BB500 board) The Brinkmann holds the NX05 optics (helmet light for long burning times) and the lowly minim*g snagged the other one. Slapped in the McFlood and Kroll and checked out the beam. Pure white Q3 goodness with no hotspot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif Used it tonight to work on a friends van and it was great to see just pure even whiteness. My buddy kept shining his mag in the pureness until I told him to turn the #$@%!! off.
Try out the McFlood and see a smooth even whiteness. The problem is, you will need another McLux so you can carry both! Such is the disease.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

this is nascar -

I'm a tad cocerned with the soft screws also. I yanked the light around quite a bit today. I want to belt carry it for a week or two. When I was re-installing the clip I made sure I carefully tightened one then the other screw alternatingly...you know, like a water pump or head. I suspect they may have some stretchiness to them. I would rather foul them than the tailcap.

I think time will tell...in just a week or two.

- Jeff

BigMac

Enlightened

Where might a flashlight addict such as myself look to find such a wonderfull fullfillment for my cravings for a good light?

lhz

Newly Enlightened

I think the only function the clip on my Mclux will serve is for ornament and anti-roll. Those 2 little screws worry me too. I currently carry my Mclux in my pants pocket, with a SF lanyard securing it to my belt.

Since mine has a HD, it doesn't work well with a McFlood(That's the trade-off for the extra brightness). But all I need to do for a flood light is to remove the NX-05 and I'm in business. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

paulr

Flashaholic

I like the clip mostly because of its looks. It balances out the light really well. Similar clips I've seen on pocket knives generally have had 3 screws in a triangular formation. I just don't see myself actually using the McLux clip that often. I've never especially wanted to use the pocket clip on a flashlight. Better to clip a lanyard to one of the ports in the tail ring.