New Malkoff Flashlight: MD2 (Part 2)

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
[Continued from Part 1]

Just noticed this on Gene's site as of yesterday - looks like a line of complete Malkoff flashlights is in the works and coming soon!

The first one listed on the site is the Malkoff MD2 with a sweeeeet price of $39. No specs are listed but I have a feeling this is going to be another Malkoff home run.

http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop2/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=21&products_id=55

Go Gene and Cathy!

Looks like one tank of a light - anyone here anything about this? :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Maybe we can beg for a CPF edition... :naughty: :D

EDIT: Per the Malkoff's permission (thank you Gene!), here are the pictures from the website for your viewing pleasure:

MalkoffMD2-1.jpg

MalkoffMD2-2.jpg

MalkoffMD2-3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Willieboy

Newly Enlightened
Re: New Malkoff Flashlight: MD2

I expect to receive my MD2 this week. I'd like to add a lens to protect the insides. Mr. Malkoff suggests adding a one inch lens which in millimeters, is 25.4mm. I can't seem to find one in those dimensions. Any suggestions or sources would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast

Finally! I found my M30W so I could test the MD2 and dual-level switch. I could have tested in with one of my M60s, but I just didn't want to do that because I bought this solely for M30W, at least to start. The two level switch really made me jump on the band wagon.

OK, first M30W didn't fit... But it was only because it was one with the sticker/tape around the rim identifying it as a Malkoff M30W. Looked really nice but the tolerances are tight, the drop-in got stuck a couple of times, so I peel it off and she dropped right in. I immediately secured it with the two level switch retaining ring. Stole a battery from the Jet-III-M while I wait for a new one hot off the charger. Hit the switch slowly tighten the bezel down. Turns on low...

- wow that's LOW, on the M30W I'm not too hesitant to say probably too low. My LD01 on low dwarfs it. I'm guessing 5 lumens, maybe even less.

- The tail switch works perfect, no contact/brightness issues. It does make quite the click, probably the loudest clicky I've ever heard. Oh well just keep screaming 'get down on the ground' and they won't here the click. As I always mention, I like my lights to tail-stand, and that's a no go here, but there are other benefits to this host.

- The tolerances in the machining is impeccable. The level change takes only a slight twist and when on high (tightened), everything is closed up tight. The fatter than normal o-ring, and the large contact surface on the top of the body are very nice and I expect will contribute to a reliable design and torch (ok Flashlight).

- I love the so called 'Camo' Anodizing. I'm sure SwissBianco must have had a hand in it. It's hard to name the color, because it is splash but seems to be made up of a slightly maroon red, green and black on top of a Olive base. Absolutely gorgeous.

- The light with an M30 and 18650 is very well balanced, feels better than the 6P to me.

- I like that there is no lens, I've been running a M60LL (or M60L, can't remember right now), in a G2 that I've pulled the garbage window out of because it was not required, so I'm glad the MD2 is made like this. Maybe Gene could offer a good window for these who might need the extra protection.

- Very impressed with the 2 level switch, but with an M30W, the low is way to low for even simple navigation outdoors in an unlit area, strictly an indoor fully night adapted eyes scenario on low. The dark night just sucks up the lumens and you wonder if you even have it turned on.

That's it for now... I'm going to go play some more.

Overall, Very nice work.

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic

I was under the impression that on low with his new ring you would be getting 20LM or so no matter which of his drop ins you have in it.Was your 18650 fully charged?

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was under the impression that on low with his new ring you would be getting 20LM or so no matter which of his drop ins you have in it.Was your 18650 fully charged?
I can't say it was fully changed, but I know it's pretty good. It's enough to run the M30W on high at full brightness for more than 10mins, so I'm thinking it's pretty good. It's measuring 3.88V right now, so it's not primo. I'm waiting for a new cell to charge.

thermal guy

Flashaholic

I was hoping for a little more then that on low.Let us know how she is when you get a fresh 18650 in there. 3.90 Volts = 55% so it was not dead that's for sure.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast

No way I get anywhere near 20 lumens with the md2 low switch with an m30w and fresh 18650 - mine looks like less than 5 lumens (and NOT surefire lumens)...

EDIT: just checked and the output of my setup above is closer to my fenix e01 than any of my other lights. Its less bright than my are-aaa GS.

I love it.

Last edited:

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was hoping for a little more then that on low.Let us know how she is when you get a fresh 18650 in there. 3.90 Volts = 55% so it was not dead that's for sure.

Just checked it with a fresh cell (4.22V), and it's basically the same, just a little brighter. I could see it outdoors better if I pointed it at the ground right in front of me. My estimate is still around 5 lumens, but that's pretty rough, LD01 on low still dwarfs it, but it's more than a lumen or two. It's essentually an ultra-low, great for indoors at night, or very close range. Not really what I would have chosen, but maybe Gene will offer a couple different levels. It really depends on ones usage senario.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

Guys, the resistor ring is working off the available voltage in the battery(s). Low will always have a higher output with 6+ volts than 3.6+ volts using the ring. You would need a ring setup for the M30 using a different resistor value to get a higher output. Maybe Gene will, at some point, be able to supply different resistor value rings.

Bill

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast

Now that I've opened and closed this light a number of times, I'm going to say that I don't think I've had another light, of any size, that mates together so easily and so flawlessly. I'd like to know what secret is employed here and why aren't other manufacturers using it. :twothumbs

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast

Guys, the resistor ring is working off the available voltage in the battery(s). Low will always have a higher output with 6+ volts than 3.6+ volts using the ring. You would need a ring setup for the M30 using a different resistor value to get a higher output. Maybe Gene will, at some point, be able to supply different resistor value rings.

Bill

Yes makes sense. I'm sure Gene will offer other resistor values one day.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic

Guys, the resistor ring is working off the available voltage in the battery(s). Low will always have a higher output with 6+ volts than 3.6+ volts using the ring. You would need a ring setup for the M30 using a different resistor value to get a higher output.
There you go. :) Maybe you could solder in your own resistor and get just what you want.

On my M30WF I swear the low seems more like 8 to me. I guess the F is tricking me.
It sure does make a sweet reading light and fridge raider. :twothumbs

I REALLY like the low-low myself.

russtang

Flashlight Enthusiast

Now that I've opened and closed this light a number of times, I'm going to say that I don't think I've had another light, of any size, that mates together so easily and so flawlessly. I'd like to know what secret is employed here and why aren't other manufacturers using it. :twothumbs

My thoughts also. I've been playing around taking pics and stuff with some we just got in and I was definitely pleased at the quality of the machining and parts overall.

Very easy to put together and feels solid.

The 2-level rings are quality made also. They make these lights that much better with two levels.

Gene has done a great job with these and I am looking forward to more new things in the works also.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic

Seems like it'd be cake to add a third level to the ring.

Put in another resistor and a longer pin on unit 2. :shrug:

Sector7

Enlightened

I am getting a low gussestimate of 5 lumens with the M30 and around 15 lumens low with M60LL on the MD-2 2 stage ring with the same AW 18650 battery.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast

Testing: Day 2

OK after using the light a little more, I did notice some play in the threads. Using the light in the overhand grip, it became clear that it was easy to trigger high mode if the head was only loosened a few degs as is required for it to drop out of high and into low. Very slight Lateral pressure or downward force on the bezel will activate high if the bezel is only slightly loosened. Some people will actually like this because the force require is very light. My sample requires a 90deg twist from high to low to ensure that any force applied to the bezel will not activate high. This is reasonable.

I did notice though that maybe the really smooth and trouble free threading of the head and bezel comes at the price of increased lateral movement of the head when the bezel is not tightened down for high. My MD2 has significantly more thread play than my Silver/Satin 6P. I can't say if it has increased with all the twisting since new, but now that I've noticed it, I find it distracting. I'll remember to test it against a new one at some point.

I'm still very impressed with the feel of the light, it's quite smooth yet has grip. I wonder of the other finishes feel different than the camo. If one was to pocket a P6 sized light, this would be one of the best choices. Since most of us have more than 1 light that might be a fair tradeoff for no anti-roll mechanism.

Given the power of the MD drop-ins this is certainly one light you would not want to set bezel down while it is turned on.

I've developed a crack/chip on the very edge of my optic. It has no visual impact on the beam. I'm not sure what caused that, maybe torquing down the retaining ring? Not sure, maybe it was always there and I never noticed it since I was in a big hurry when I found the drop-in to drop it into the light. I don't think torquing was the issue. Today when I checked the retaining ring it was loose. I suspect that means that the friction between the battery tube and the retaining ring was enough to loosen the retaining ring. I'm thinking this could be an on-going issue unless I use loc-tight or something. I could try a conductive greese on the body end. I've tightened the ring again and marked it's location so I can quickly see if it moves again.

Time to go outside again.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic

Testing: Day 2

OK after using the light a little more, I did notice some play in the threads. Using the light in the overhand grip, it became clear that it was easy to trigger high mode if the head was only loosened a few degs as is required for it to drop out of high and into low. Very slight Lateral pressure or downward force on the bezel will activate high if the bezel is only slightly loosened.
Mine is the same. Not noticed it with use but after trying to duplicate your results I can get it to easily. Now my MD2 has a new feature, a HI/LOW manual strobe. :D
If one was to pocket a P6 sized light, this would be one of the best choices. Since most of us have more than 1 light that might be a fair trade off for no anti-roll mechanism.
I agree 100% If you are doing 2 cell pocket carry this is your baby.
I've developed a crack/chip on the very edge of my optic. It has no visual impact on the beam. I'm not sure what caused that, maybe torquing down the retaining ring?
No way, that thick rubber gasket would stop that from happening.
Today when I checked the retaining ring it was loose. I suspect that means that the friction between the battery tube and the retaining ring was enough to loosen the retaining ring.
Happened with mine as well until I got pretty serious about tightening that ring. Not moved since thankfully. Time will tell.

Thanks for your report!

Last edited:

CR123_CR123_CR123

Newly Enlightened
hi:

I just got High/Low Bezel Switch for MD2 and installed it. works fine, i will look for a dark room to test it out. Will be interesting to see what a M60WF looks like on low. :party: