Views on Ultrastinger?

soa

Newly Enlightened
Just seen what looks like a good deal on an Ultrastinger loclaised for the UK. (£105 - about $170) against UK list of £155 ($255). Leaving aside the iniquitous pricing, anyone got views on the US? What SF does it most compare to?
Rechargeable sounds tempting... what about a SF10X?

Size15's

Flashaholic
I got my UltraStinger from Traser UK.
It's too long, with a difficult to find switch and is often defocused. My TigerLight is far superior (I can even carry it in my BlackHawk M6 pouch like I did last night).

Which SureFire does it most compare to? In size and shape to the 12PM with MN60 - In beam throw (when focused) to the 9NT.

The 10X puts out far more light and I find the 10X significantly more useful then the UltraStinger.

Al

soa

Newly Enlightened
OK, Al, what's the best SF rechargeable for the pound?

Size15's

Flashaholic
What are your requirements?

I'm not a huge fan of rechargeables - I don't have the need for them since I'm not a heavy duty user of light.
If I was a Police Officer or security guard I would like to carry the 9AN on duty and the 10X when I was on nights. This would be in addition to an A2 (EDC).

If I was to buy a rechargeable light now based on what I know I would buy a TigerLight 8" (I already have one)

However, based on what I know I wouldn't be buying any flashlights at the moment because I wouldn't want to be caught short when the KL4 comes out.

If I was on nights a lot I would have a KumKang - When I compared it to a few Beast proto-types I was pretty impressed. I'd want something that powerful if I was on nights for my job.

Al

paulr

Flashaholic
You saw that steroid-crazed Magcharger that was on BST last week? It had battle robot Powerstream 1/2 D nicads (capable of putting out something like 90 amps), and a 500+ lumen Welch/Allyn bulb. Typical Mag ringy beam though.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I have new US and I do not like its beam. Not round and full. What I lost, was a Super Stinger with a Ultra head conversion. The head had a fully textured reflector that put out a beautilful beam, large and round. An looking for a used Super Singer. Super Stinger takes same battery pack as US and runs standard bulb for about 1 3/4 hours. With Ultra Conversion unit it get one hour +, at 70,000 cp.

bwcaw

Enlightened
I agree with Al. Get a tigerlight FBOP. It is brighter, and smaller than the Ultrastinger. I compares to the M6 with the low power lamp.

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to dissent here. I love my Ultrastinger, and I have a Tigerlight also. I also love my Tigerlight, but my primary means of carrying around my light is handlefirst down inside my belt at the small of my back with the head sticking out. That's damn uncomfortable with the T-light compared to the slim profile of the US, plus with the US you can shift from a nice tight beam to a wide spread pattern. I've said it before, the US is more of a James Bond, and the T-light (with pepper spray) is more of a Dirty Harry. I prefer having both to either!

Thanks.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sotto-What you said.

At least you know the battery pack on the Streamlight will hold a charge more than 15 minutes.

It also makes a great impact weapon when the SHTF.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
JohnK said:
Sotto-What you said.

At least you know the battery pack on the Streamlight will hold a charge more than 15 minutes.

It also makes a great impact weapon when the SHTF.

[/ QUOTE ]

John,

My FBOP has decent burn time and holds its charge for days.
If your tigerlight is giving you a very short burn or self-discharging very rapidly it is not behaving normally and I think you should notify Tigerlight.

Brightnorm

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brightnorm, you have my apology, I was referring to the problems with SF battery packs, not Tigerlight. In fact, I have heard so much nice about the TL, I am going to purchase one.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
i had an us and didn't see what the big deal was, not impressed one bit.

you would be much better off with a tl for the money, especially since they finally got their lamps straightened out.

a 10X would be nice if you can swing the bling.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well...Depends on what generation Ultra, there's three, so far. I have a very early 1st Gen with the fully textured reflector and internal threads on the haed. I also have a 3rd generation with the partially stipled reflector and new head thread design.

The 1st Gen produces a very nice and even beam, though, doesn't have the throw of the newest one.

Overall, I've been very happy with the performance of my US, and it's been thru hell the last three or years I've had it. It's a good compromise, especially for a duty light, as I have good light output, but without the bulk of my SL-20.

The TL has also seen its fair share of usage, and it also performs great. It does outshine the Ultra on all accounts and has been just as durable, even when I accidently drop-kicked it across the street jumping out of the radio car one night.

I really don't have a preference between the two, but in a more suburban environment, the TL would be more useful due to it's long distance beam.

--dan

Jim Brown

Newly Enlightened
I have an Ultrastinger and love it. Had it for about a year now and it's a stud as far as output is concerned. I know saying this disturbs the people that have made Surefire their religion but the facts are the facts! A great combination of awesome output, decent life on a charge, and the fact that it's rechargeable make it a great combination. Excellent build quality for it's price too. I own three Surefires but that doesn't mean I would toss my US, far from it. When you need to pierce the night with a wicked beam in a very handy form factor it's the right tool.
Jim

hyeTotum

Newly Enlightened
Three Generations? Ugggggghhhh! Got my US right from their get-go so I must be owning a Gen One...

I also carry in the same manner as sotto describes and the US is comfy -- however for the 75,000 CP as advertised, much light is lost on a long throw and when I need distance I revert back to the "old standby" 20X/35 head and just live with the lump in the back.

Gotta check out the newest Gen III. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif