LED weapolight for a H&K USP .45

Neo9710

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone here used a weapon light with a H&K USP .45? My concern is weight. The gun already has a good weight to it. Its not a work weapon (we have glocks and they wont allow us to put light on them for regular patrol). So, its strickly for the home. I dont think my Olight M20 or my TK11 will fit. (I MIGHT put them on my AR!)

litework

Newly Enlightened
I have the weapon you're describing and can't imagine putting a full sized light on its rail. Why can't you use a weapon light from Streamlight or Surefire? Maybe something that attaches to the magazine baseplate?

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got an Insight M2 UTL on my USP .40, and I like it, but I assume there are newer options with modern LEDs available by now. The M2 UTL is decent though, and since it's older, good deals should be available.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the 918FA on my remington, and can tell you that the SF dedicated forends are indeed light, although solid. They may seem big at first, but you have to keep in mind that you are replacing the weapons fore-end/handgaurd alltogether. Plus, you can rig it up how ya want...6-9 volt/incan/led, etc.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight TLR1 will fit nicely on the Full size rails of the USP.
TLR2 with lazer will work as well.
I'm sure there are other setups that will allow the use of a 3P or similar single cell light with the proper drop-in.
YOu might as well use those huge front rails if you've got them.

Last edited:

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SureFire X series will also fit.

However, which holster are you going to use. The Surefire is too wide and too long to fit in a Serpa holster.

Actually, every light except the Blackhawk light will not fit.

I'm partial to Serpa so I'm just up the creek.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
A tiny company called blade tech can make any kydex holster you want. Lucky me they are only an hour away. For bedside table duty you won't need a holster.

Policetacteam

Enlightened
The H&K USP is a heavy weapon! I would stick with a quality LED like a Surefire X300. The X300 puts out an amazingly awesome amount of light! The .45 has a lot of recoil and will require a sturdy light that is designed to take the abuse and punishment of a big handgun. This light will do the job. In regards to your department not allowing your officers to purchase their own weapon lights for their Glocks is too bad. The weapon mounted light allows the officer to quickly identify threats and is an obvious officer safety issue. It is much safer to positively identify the threat then to be in the dark! Most major departments actually issue weapon mounted lights. Mine does not but we can basically put whatever we want on our Glocks. Good luck with the USP. Go to the NTOA (National Tactical Officers Association)(NTOA.org) for some stats on weapon mounted light, shootings which occur at night, and see if you can't convince the higher ups to change that policy!

Neo9710

Newly Enlightened
I have the weapon you're describing and can't imagine putting a full sized light on its rail. Why can't you use a weapon light from Streamlight or Surefire? Maybe something that attaches to the magazine baseplate?

Yeah Im not going to put a full sized light on my USP. I was already bending towards the x300. The lights I mentioned are the ones I have already - thats all. I just wanted to know how much more cumbersome does it get with putting a light (such as the x300) on. Its a heavy gun - and putting a light on it will make it heavier..

Thanks all! Price shopping begins...

Neo9710

Newly Enlightened
Our department is pretty anal about weaponry. They BARELY ley us put a grip on our weapons. We are only authorized to carry, on or off duty, three models of the glock - 17, 29, and the 26. Thats it. No modifications at all! Except for night sights...

trailblazer

Newly Enlightened
Look at streamlight TLR-3 It's new small and cheap compared to the others mine is being delivered tomorrow. They are around $75 and 90 lumens.

litework

Newly Enlightened
Yeah Im not going to put a full sized light on my USP. I was already bending towards the x300. The lights I mentioned are the ones I have already - thats all. I just wanted to know how much more cumbersome does it get with putting a light (such as the x300) on. Its a heavy gun - and putting a light on it will make it heavier..

Thanks all! Price shopping begins...

The X300 will do well on the USP. The USP is not really a heavy gun. The USP is a full sized .45 that weighs less than Sig's compact 229-which is a very respected carry piece.

PayBack

Enlightened
Has anyone here used a weapon light with a H&K USP .45? My concern is weight. The gun already has a good weight to it. Its not a work weapon (we have glocks and they wont allow us to put light on them for regular patrol). So, its strickly for the home. I dont think my Olight M20 or my TK11 will fit. (I MIGHT put them on my AR!)

I've got an Insight M6 (light and laser) on my USP 45.. weight? lol the difference it makes to a loaded USP 45 isn't even noticeable even with the adaptor which is very light also.

Mines an old incan though... considering upgrading to LED.