Does your collection grow continuously?

Centropolis

Enlightened
After more than 12 months in the hobby, I find that I am starting to refine my collection rather just just keep growing it. What I have been doing in recent weeks is selling my current lights for newer different lights instead of just getting more and more.

Sometimes I find certain lights I don't use at all, so I sell them to make room for something that I think I would use more often.

Or are you the type that keeps buying more and more?

I am wondering what type of buying pattern are you guys at right now?

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
i usually sell ones that don't get used if it's sellable.
basically it doesn't grow and has reached an equilibrium. a light for a task pretty much.

JJay03

Newly Enlightened
I would have even more lights now but my fiance is getting pissed cause im spending several hundred on flashlights. I was just getting started haha.

Centropolis

Enlightened
i usually sell ones that don't get used if it's sellable.
basically it doesn't grow and has reached an equilibrium. a light for a task pretty much.

Yeah I think for me it's reached equilibrium as well. Unless some significant new LED comes out like the next generations of multi-die comes out, I think I will stay put for a few months for now.

I also noticed that my expectations for new lights usually exceeds what I receive in the end. For example, I was expecting a lot from my DBS MC-E in terms of brightness. It's bright but for some reason I was expecting more. Maybe I am have unreasonable expectations?!

Centropolis

Enlightened
I would have even more lights now but my fiance is getting pissed cause im spending several hundred on flashlights. I was just getting started haha.

Well, once you have a small collection, she wouldn't notice the extra one or two per month. :)

I have about 30 flashlights now and my girlfriend has given up keeping track (unofficially).

ruriimasu

Enlightened
same goes for me. i will sell away those of about the same type (eg if i buy a new AA light, i will sell away or give away my old AA light) because to me, buying a new EDC light means i want to EDC it and use it at every opportunity. so the only way to use it frequently is to send the old one away. :D but recently, i been experimenting with non-pocketable lights, this means there is no justification to sell off any lights and my collection is growing :shrug::broke:

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I must have amazingly few lights by Flashaholic standards. Not including plastic cheapies hiding around the house I have less than 10 total counting from key chain lights to big guns to headlights. They'll stay that way because I'm not a collector and flashlight technology changes so quickly, even new one will be obsolete soon.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I buy too many. I play with them all. Eventually I see something I just have to own and I sell the ones that didn't fit just right to help pay for it.

Still I'm averaging a keeper every 2 months. :tinfoil:

greenLED

Flashaholic
After more than 12 months in the hobby, I find that I am starting to refine my collection rather just just keep growing it. What I have been doing in recent weeks is selling my current lights for newer different lights instead of just getting more and more.

Sometimes I find certain lights I don't use at all, so I sell them to make room for something that I think I would use more often.

Or are you the type that keeps buying more and more?

I am wondering what type of buying pattern are you guys at right now?
Initially I bought a bunch. Nowdays I'm down to the ones I really use a lot, and a handful of special ones that I cherish. The rest have mostly been given away.

If I buy something it's because I *really* need it (and don't have another light that would work - which is hard to justify), or something that I've been wanting *really* bad for a long time.

Centropolis

Enlightened
I must have amazingly few lights by Flashaholic standards. Not including plastic cheapies hiding around the house I have less than 10 total counting from key chain lights to big guns to headlights. They'll stay that way because I'm not a collector and flashlight technology changes so quickly, even new one will be obsolete soon.

Well, you don't have to have a lot to be in the hobby. I have 5 headlamps. 3 Tikka Plus, 1 Tikka XP, and one old Princeton Tec (forgot model). Like the Petzls much better.

HKJ

Flashaholic
I do not like selling lights, around here I do not believe that I can get a decent price for them. I.e. I just keeps my lights and once in a while I also buys a new light. :devil:

That means I have a (slowly) growing collection.

gunga

Flashaholic
I go in fits and spurts, buy a bunch to try out, sell a bunch to try to keep the collection under control.

Of course I'll drop one here and there, they become users, not to be sold.

:D

tdurand

Enlightened
My rate of acquisition has definitely slowed but there are still some holes to fill.
I gotta update this thread one of these days.
T

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't bought a light in 2 years now. I don't collect neither. That isn't to say I'm not tempted, for what I actually need, my dim by today's technology still serves me well. At best, 60 and 45 lumens perform well. :)

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't bought a light in 2 years now. I don't collect neither. That isn't to say I'm not tempted, for what I actually need, my dim by today's technology still serves me well. At best, 60 and 45 lumens perform well. :)

How do you live with the everyday temptation?? :eek:

hey.. I hear the new 4sevens quark will be legendary.. hinthint....

kaichu dento

Flashaholic

I think this pretty well describes how I've been. There was a while there where I was jumping on sales threads up to 2 or 3 a day, but lately it's been just slowly finding lights I really want and selling or trading off others that I don't use.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Me too.
My rate of acquisition has definitely slowed

Easy when I'm retired, on a fixed income and food prices are double what they were a couple of years ago.
How do you live with the everyday temptation?? :eek:

I do not have paypal and Canada Post charges a fortune to ship them out. So I am in the same boat.
I have not bought collectors items, so the bulk of my collection is out of date lights that are dim. Not worth selling.
I do not like selling lights, around here I do not believe that I can get a decent price for them. I.e. I just keeps my lights and once in a while I also buys a new light. :devil:

That means I have a (slowly) growing collection.

About the only light I am considering is the EZAA. Jeans pocketable, simple operation, common battery.

CR123_CR123_CR123

Newly Enlightened
Hi:

After intially going nuts with the brights at a rate of 1 or 2 per month, I totally eased up now. What I currently have meets or exceeds my current needs.

Now, I will buy lights that don't overlap with my regularly used line up of a Surefire E2DL, Malkoff MD2 w/M60WF,and Fenix SSLD01.

For the lights I don't use or need, I usually give them to my relatives and buddies. I do make sure the ones I hand off use easy to find batteries like AA or D because the CR123s are kinda pricey at the regular places. lovecpf

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
My hoard keeps on growing, but I've stopped buying 'expensive' ones for now. The last 5 lights I bought were 4 Romisens and an MTE P7 which cost peanuts really. Other than that I've been buying accessories, dropins, rechargables, spare lenses and o-rings etc for the ones I already have.

I've got all my needs more than covered now, and I don't think I'll be spending any real money on a new light 'till there's better, brighter LED's available. That should give me a couple of months. :D

I did just order an Akoray along with some li-ions, but if any of these budget lights don't impress me they make great gifts, so it's never money wasted.