FENIX LD10 Alkaline

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone got any runtimes on a FENIX LD10 running on alkalines? I cant seem to find any other than runtimes based on Ni-MH.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Anyone got any runtimes on a FENIX LD10 running on alkalines? I cant seem to find any other than runtimes based on Ni-MH.

There is a reason for that, Alkaline is not really compatible with high current draw, i.e. the runtime might be below 20 minutes, when NiMH can sustain more than an hour at the same level.
Alkaline works best with lights that need more than 10 hours to drain them, i.e. LD10 on low is fine on alkaline, but on high you need NiHM.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a reason for that, Alkaline is not really compatible with high current draw, i.e. the runtime might be below 20 minutes, when NiMH can sustain more than an hour at the same level.
Alkaline works best with lights that need more than 10 hours to drain them, i.e. LD10 on low is fine on alkaline, but on high you need NiHM.

How about lithium AA ?

HKJ

Flashaholic
How about lithium AA ?

They work very well in it, but they usual are a bit pricy. The best batteries for most lights are NiMH with low self discharge (Usual sells as precharged), they can last more than a year without loosing the charge and they can supply enough current for full power.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
They work very well in it, but they usual are a bit pricy. The best batteries for most lights are NiMH with low self discharge (Usual sells as precharged), they can last more than a year without loosing the charge and they can supply enough current for full power.

Yea i have those batteries for my camera however for lights i do not want low or high temperatures making my batteries conk out on me, so usually i only buy CR123 lithium lights, and use Lithium AAA in my tiny backup lights.

Would AA that are the Ni-MH long life ones last well in cold or high temp?

Mikellen

Enlightened
When using Lithium AA batteries in my L2D, I notice the low mode is about equal in output to the medium mode. Is this normal? I'm assuming it's because of the higher voltage of the Lithium cell.

chibato

Newly Enlightened
When using Lithium AA batteries in my L2D, I notice the low mode is about equal in output to the medium mode. Is this normal? I'm assuming it's because of the higher voltage of the Lithium cell.
Yup. As soon as the the voltage drops you will get the low back.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can use alkaline cells with the LD10, just confine yourself to low & medium for sustained usage.
You can use turbo and high, but for only short term usage-say ten minutes on high, five on turbo, at most. Then turn off to let the cell recover.

If you get the LD20 body and you can run low, medium, high on alkalines [sustained], still keep turbo to five minutes.

Mikellen

Enlightened
Quote "When using Lithium AA batteries in my L2D, I notice the low mode is about equal in output to the medium mode. Is this normal? I'm assuming it's because of the higher voltage of the Lithium cell."

Quote "Yup. As soon as the the voltage drops you will get the low back."

(1) So while the voltage is higher on an L91 the L2D low mode is brighter (equal to medium), but is the runtime the same as the typical runtime on the low mode with alkaline or NIMH?

(2) Also how much battery life does a Lithium AA usually have left when the voltage drops enough to restore the low mode?

Thank you.

Last edited: