Self-Defense light.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blacksidesniper

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I'm a new member here and wondered what would be a good light for self-defense and every-day carry light. I would like to have a few of these features

A. An LED.

B. A strobe mode. (Or what happens to be the correct term)

C. Less than 5 inches in length

D. Be over 100 lumens output.

E. Have a belt clip. (perferably reversible)

F. Be under $110.00

G. Have a run-time of over 1 hour.

Thanks for you help. :grin2:

xpawel18x

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to CPF. I myself just recently registered here.
I recently bought the SureFire E2DL. It is designed to be a self-defense light. It has the striking bezels and everything. Retail price is $150. It's very bright and I love it. It doesn't have the strobe option though. But you can manually get strobe my continually lightly tapping the tail button.

Other light to look at but I don't own is the Olight M20 Premium.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
First, we need to know what batteries would you like to use: Common cells (like AA batteries), lithium non rechargeable batteries (cr123 cells), or rechargeable lithium ion batteries?
There are many options to choose from, and you definitely do not have to spend anywhere near $110 if you don't want to. There are many good options for less.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

Your best pal here is the SEARCH feature. This subject has been discussed many times.
Here
Here
Here
Here

Generally, the advise is not to depend on lights as a self defense tool.

h2oflyer

Enlightened
IMO the best self defence light is gold colour anodized. You turn it on and toss it at the perp and tell him/her it is 24 k gold and then run like hell.

Walter

Blacksidesniper

Newly Enlightened
Alright, sorry about that then. Let me just clarify that I do have some good self-Defense training and do carry other weapons. I just want a cool flashlight too. :twothumbs

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
A. An LED.

B. A strobe mode. (Or what happens to be the correct term)

C. Less than 5 inches in length

D. Be over 100 lumens output.

E. Have a belt clip. (perferably reversible)

F. Be under $110.00

G. Have a run-time of over 1 hour.

If you're interested in strobe for this use, you probably also want the strobe to be fast enough, and for it to be immediately available (if you have to switch modes to get to it, it won't be so useful).

All of this, of course, begs the question of how you plan to use the light, how well trained you are, and how realistic your intentions are. These are huge questions, because so many people have unrealistic expectations of what such a light can do and how effective it can be, much less the level of training required (depending on what you plan to do with it). This is what takes up much of the space in many similar threads.

Putting all that aside, the answer to your question is: Olight T20 military http://www.batteryjunction.com/military-t20-m.html It basically meets all your specs, and the one I added. It has no strike bezel, and that is good -- strike bezels chew your pockets to pieces while arguably not adding anything of substance to the effectiveness.

Blacksidesniper

Newly Enlightened
I like the Surefire E2D but surefires are out of my price range. If anyone wants to talk pepper spray, I like it. But It's banned in my area.:mecry:

Muskett

Newly Enlightened
As others have said, probably not a great idea to rely of a flashlight for self-defence. Perhaps if you have training to use it like a kubaton or something, but in terms of blinding with the strobe feature, I wouldn't put my life on it...

Blacksidesniper

Newly Enlightened
As others have said, probably not a great idea to rely of a flashlight for self-defence. Perhaps if you have training to use it like a kubaton or something, but in terms of blinding with the strobe feature, I wouldn't put my life on it...

Me either. I accually pack a kubaton. I'm Just looking to upgrade and have another tool. Hey, is Eagletac and Jetbeam a good pick? How much does one of the smaller Jetbeam lights cost?

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are both good brands. The Jetbeam Jet III M has a second programmable mode that can be set to strobe. What light you should get depends on what batteries you want to use. Few lights have good regulation with 18650 rechargeable batteries, so if you want to use those then you should get a light that is well regulated. If you just want to use CR123's, there are a lot of options which should work.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
but in terms of blinding with the strobe feature, I wouldn't put my life on it...

I wouldn't either. But you wouldn't use strobe by pointing it at someone and standing there and hoping they fall down. Strobe, when deployed as a surprise against dark-adjusted eyes, can mask some movements for a split second. In that split second, it seems to work well to step laterally towards (in case you have to go hands-on) or away (in case you need to flee or seek cover) from the bad guy. It's not magic, it doesn't always work, but it can give you a short edge for those who know how to use it. Otherwise, at worst now you have a pocket stick in your hand, which of course is not a magic talisman either.

Blacksidesniper

Newly Enlightened
I think Cr-123A batteries are to my likeing. But If there is someing I should know about batteries please tell me (ie. relieability, runtime,ect.). As for the pocket stick, I don't think that most people realise it's full potential (I don't mean to insult anyone on this forum). As in, for example, A trained person could take someones arm off with it. The demonstraiton done by an instructor is really quite fasinateing.

Blacksidesniper

Newly Enlightened
If you're interested in strobe for this use, you probably also want the strobe to be fast enough, and for it to be immediately available (if you have to switch modes to get to it, it won't be so useful).

All of this, of course, begs the question of how you plan to use the light, how well trained you are, and how realistic your intentions are. These are huge questions, because so many people have unrealistic expectations of what such a light can do and how effective it can be, much less the level of training required (depending on what you plan to do with it). This is what takes up much of the space in many similar threads.

Putting all that aside, the answer to your question is: Olight T20 military http://www.batteryjunction.com/military-t20-m.html It basically meets all your specs, and the one I added. It has no strike bezel, and that is good -- strike bezels chew your pockets to pieces while arguably not adding anything of substance to the effectiveness.

DO you have one? If so how is it.:popcorn:

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
DO you have one? If so how is it.:popcorn:

Sure do. I had nearly exactly the same list as yours (I added "no strike bezels" to the list, I find them ridiculously un-utilitiarian), and the Olight seemed like the best candidate. So far I love it, no problems, very small, very bright, seems well built and well designed.

Blacksidesniper

Newly Enlightened
Sure do. I had nearly exactly the same list as yours (I added "no strike bezels" to the list, I find them ridiculously un-utilitiarian), and the Olight seemed like the best candidate. So far I love it, no problems, very small, very bright, seems well built and well designed.

How long have you had it? Does anyone know how these stack up against the Eagletac T10C2? The T10C2 is near the top of my list right now.

SureAddicted

Enlightened
...what would be a good light for self-defense....

There is no such thing. A flashlight wont stop anyone, it mite buy you a few seconds but then your back to square one. Also, would you know how to use a flashlight (impact weapon) in a defensive situation? I'd consider getting some classes under my belt.
A firearm is useless unless you train with it and know how to use it, same goes with a flashlight. There is no quick fix.

FlashlightsNgear.com

→Formerly d1live←, Flashaholic
I really like the Olight M20 Warrior, removable strike bezel, nice case, battery magazine, tough, bright, under a hundy, weapons mountable, I could go on. Range pictures of my Sig Sauer 556ER and Olight M20 Warrior Premium and Olight pressure switch. BTW The Browning is sweet piece, shoots like a dream, those Springfield XD models have been tempting me for awhile now :)
http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss279/FlashlightsNgear/IMG_2143-1-1.jpg

[over-size image replaced by link - DM51]

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.