My Jetbeam Raptor has arrived !

TAIGERSX

Newly Enlightened
So I heard people making a big fuss about the raptor, I decided to give it a try.

P1110005.jpg

P1110008.jpg

P1110015.jpg

P1110024.jpg

P1110014.jpg

P1110011.jpg

DBS V3 3SD (WH TINT) VS. RAPTOR (COOL TINT)

Camera: Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8
Iso: 400
Exposure: -1/3
Auto White Balance

Distance to the the corner of the white fence : 241 yards or 723 feet or 220 m

Distance

distance-1.jpg

CONTROL SHOT:

CONTROL.jpg

DBS V3
DBS.jpg

Raptor
A11.jpg

Raptor (zoom in)
A3.jpg

M2XC4 (cool white)
M2X.jpg

Holster for Raptor (modified from Fenix TK10 holster- fits nicely and securely)

1.jpg

2.jpg

Some initial thoughts: I chose the raptor over the M1X because of its small size and visual appeal :D . The fit and finish are perfect except some unnoticable flaws that I can overlook. The light came very well lubed as u can see. The threads are beefy and greasy. The reflector seems to be as deep as my DBS V3 (which I already sold) but the raptor reflector diameter is larger than that of DBS. This light came with smooth reflector and as expected , it has the donut hole. There is one person here complained about the light shut down when he shaked it sideway, I think he has a defective driver as mine does not have that problem. There is definitely no battery rattling watsoever when I used AW 18650. The beam is the most ringy beam I've ever seen but some how I like it. There is no way those rings can affect the light performance outdoor.Flavio at bugoutgearUSA said this light is driven at 1.1a. Is it comparable to DBS V3 in term of spot and spill ? I think I would have to wait until the night falls down here in Virginia.

Some thoughts after playing with it in the dark: to my surprise the raptor is significantly brighter and throws further than DBS V3. Regardless the fact that the beam is ringy it is floodier than the DBS as u can see in the pics. The spill is actually very usable and very comparable to my Fenix PD30 even though not as good as M2XC4. When I took the DBS beamshots, I used freshly charged battery which I measured 4.2 V. When I took the raptor beamshots, I used the same battery that I used for the DBS beamshot, which now has only half the capacity left. But u can see, it still performs better than DBS V3. When I ordered the raptor I felt kinda regretful for not choosing the Jetbeam M1X. But now after playing with it in the dark, the remorse is completely gone and I'm glad that I ordered the raptor.

I would sum up some key points about raptor here: OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE IN TERM OF SPILL AND THROW, AMAZING VISUAL APPEAL AND WONDERFUL FIT AND FINISH.

Last edited:

Cosmo7809

Enlightened
Pictures can be very very deceiving I thought it was huge.

Thats why in hand pictures are always good. Or the object next to something common always helps.

I cant tell you how many times I buy a knife and open the box to find it was bigger or smaller than I thought.

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm glad they fixed the lettering... Early photos I saw "High" was printed "Hig" I assume to match the 3 letters of "Mid" and "Low"

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, is it just me or do the threads look busted? Look at the top one.

Anyway, congrats on your new light.

George

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice pictures!

I like my Raptor too (it's a 'low-power' neutral tint version), but the M2X did distract me for a little while. I never owned a DBS all the pictures I saw may it look like all throw and no spill for anything. I will be interested to hear your comments on how the spill compares (which I find fine for dark trail walking).

I like the light, as I can't do 2x18650 length. The Raptor and my III-Mw have made me rethink getting a Jet-III-ST (I want one again), but I'm so partial to warm tints now, and I don't miss the loss in output.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm glad. I'd hate to rain on anyone's parade but damn, I had to ask. It looked funky.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice beamshots but you might want to check the exposure settings on your camera. It appears that the camera wasn't in manual mode with the exposure settings locked. The sky is noticeably brighter in each successive shot which should not be the case.

But very informative nonetheless.

TAIGERSX

Newly Enlightened
Nice beamshots but you might want to check the exposure settings on your camera. It appears that the camera wasn't in manual mode with the exposure settings locked. The sky is noticeably brighter in each successive shot which should not be the case.

I took the DBS/M2XC4 beamshots and raptor beamshot in 2 different days. This is probably the reason why the sky looks different in each shot. The exposure is the same in each shot -1/3.

Last edited:

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast

According to the EXIF info, they're all taken at 1/1sec f2.8 ISO400.

Patriot

Flashaholic

I also noticed that the composition in the DBS and Raptor photos was different but explained now since they were taken on different days. Interesting thing is that the darker conditions in the DBS photo would have served to favor the DBS and handicap the Raptor. Nevertheless, the Raptor did awesome.

I'm very pleased with mine also. My DBS appears pretty sad in the throw department compared to my Raptor. Now I'd just like to see a comparison with the A10. I'll bet they're close.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
What a beautiful light...and great beamshots. Thanks for posting these. This light looks like a winner to me.