1-light stage manager gift dilemma

Saaby

Flashaholic
I've done plenty of stage work and I would recommend a Luxon Light over an E2. Heck, I'd even recommend a Arc AAA over the E2. In my experience stage work is 99% up close (as far as light is concerned) If she's been getting along with the minimag, a LS light will be a big improvement.

I've never "been" or "done" stage manager stuff though, in fact I'm usually not even backstage, so you might wait for more opinions before making the final decision.

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been a stage manager many times. Sabby is right, most of the work is up close and needs to be bright enough to read scripts, but dim enough to not interfere with the stage show. But it helps to be able to see the catwalk, or a flying grid/truss system from the ground. Also to be able to get some ones attention from across the stage/backstage area.

How about get an E2e or a G2 and the Opalec new beam LED replacement for her mini mag. This way she can have both an up close reading light (Opalec) and a search the catwalk from the stage light (E2e/G2). She'll probably use the Opalec the most and keep it on her, then she can keep the E2e/G2 in her bag when she needs more light. This will also give her a choice to see what kind of light she would utilize the most.

Best yet, if time allows the Surefire A2 would be the ideal solution. 3 LED's and an E2 type lamp, switchable between the two and regulated to get the most out of the batteries. Unfortunately it's not scheduled to arrive for a few months.

mahoney

Enlightened
For backstage work during a show, LS or E2 type lights are likely to be too bright. When there's a problem though, you sometimes need all the light you can get. I agree that the A2 sounds like it would be perfect, especially if you give her any color she wants for the LEDs. Most theaters use blue light backstage, but some use red, some use very dim white... If you can't wait for the A2, I would suggest a pair of ARC AAAs, one in white and one in turquoise (or blue if you can find it). Or a turquoise ARC and an Opalec module for the Mini-Mag. Or if you have deep pockets, the ARC AAA and an ARC LS, then she can retire the Mini-Mag.
Another option for the small light would be an Infinity, they are easily available in red, blue, etc., and are bright enough for script reading, note taking, and seeing where your feet are backstage. They are even better if you abrade the top of the LED with some ScotchBrite and get rid of the "bullseye" rings in the beam. In fact we have a little "fleet" of them that we use as loaners for our backstage crews.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
I also have heard that blue lights are used backstage. Blue is less likely to be seen out front I guess.

Saaby

Flashaholic
What can I say? I've just 2 weeks ago graduated from the Jr High stage (
shocked.gif
At least it had a curtain) to the High School stage (
icon14.gif
The only real "professional" stage in the district, complete with flyspace/grid and hydrolic orkestra pit)

How about a Brinkmann Lagend LX and a Arc AAA...and then maybe if you ask real nice somone could make a kydex holster for the combo. Arc for most stuff, reading scripts etc. and then the Brinkmann LX for those times when there's, well, trouble! I don't know how "her" stage is set up but for birthday next year I may have just the thing for her
wink.gif

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats Saaby, moooooovin on up!! How do you keep the orange dust from getting all over the place?
wink.gif

As for lights, the these guys are right, Arc AAA should be a definite part of the gift. That plus an E2 for the:

"set-checking, set-up, tear-down, wire-following, and searching for cases
and finding stuff actors have misplaced in very dark backstages,
and checking of catwalks and looking at show-gear in very high places".
grin.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
Oh yeah, throw in a cheap cheap light she can lend out to those, uhhh, reliable? actors.

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
If your sister is set on only carrying one light, another option may be a SF E1. It's bright enough to be able to see things at a distance, but it's not so bright that it would be overkill at close-up, especially if you threw in a beamshaper for close-up tasks. And at 90 minute battery life, it would be more expensive to run than an Arc AAA, but FAR less expensive than an E2 or Legend LX. IMO, it's a good compromise between an LED light that may not be bright enough all around, and a 2 123 cell light that may be too bright all around.

PJD

...there is nothing in the world more frustrating than a lousy beam...

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
I used to do a lot of tech theatre (notice the artsy spelling). I'd recomend the two light system also. Go with an Arc AAA on a lanyard so it can't be lost. But I wouldn't suggest any 123 flashlight unless she gets paid well or can get the batteries from the company. Most of the time you don't need a bright light as a stage manager (you can always use the follow-spot
smile.gif
). I'd go with the Opalec for general good light.

Anthem

Newly Enlightened
I'm rationalizing in circles for a birthday present for my sister, If anyone knows anything about theatre as well as lights, you might help to set me straight:

My sisser's a Stage Manager for live theatre and she's been toting around a Minimag for years.

I'm only vaguely aware of what Stage-Managers do, but I assume a certain amout of set-checking, set-up, tear-down, wire-following, and finding stuff actors have misplaced in dark backstages. There's probably some checking of catwalks and show-gear in very high places too.

And there's my problem. For the most part, an LED along the lines of an ArcLS or X5 is probably the answer, but for some stuff, throwing like an E2e is probably best. So I figure the E2e is the safest bet because you can always red-filter it through your thumb at those times when it's too bright, but then I get to thinking battery-life of LED is more appropriate, or that Arc LE's battery versatility makes *it* the best idea. Arg!

I'm now a believer in 2-or-3 light solutions, but what do you get someone who'll only carry one?
confused.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Have you looked at the Surefire 9N. It has a very low output light and a MUCH brighter one right in the same light. Also it is rechargeable, which will cut down on the running cost.

The only draw back is that it is substatially larger than the mini-mag. There are holsters available for them every where making it easier to actually carry.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Newbeam is the perfect back stage light. I carry a P6 and the Newbeam on shows, and during a show I only use the Newbeam.

Anthem

Newly Enlightened
Super! Thanks a lot folks, I guess I'll pick up an LED and a incan and if she doesn't want one of them the worst result is I have a spare e2 or AAA. Worse things have happened
wink.gif

Oh, anyone know a place that has an Arc LS in stock or even a definite delivery date?

Originally posted by Saaby:
Oh yeah, throw in a cheap cheap light she can lend out to those, uhhh, reliable? actors.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Er, didn't I say she already has a Minimag?

Saaby

Flashaholic
"Er, didn't I say she already has a Minimag?"

Have you delt with Actors? Even that is too nice
wink.gif
they're going to whine weather you give them a X10 dominator or a Mag solitare
winkie.jpg
so might as well make it...Eveready 2 piece
grin.gif

Disclaimer: If you're an actor--I'm only joking, if you're not an actor, watch out, actors whine a lot
smile.gif

Siriuslite

Newly Enlightened
You never mentioned how much you wanted to spend on your sister. If cost is a factor, I'm now a huge fan of the PaLight Survival. You mentioned that battery life was important. That's one of the Palights strongest features

Using a common 9v battery (supplied with light)you get:

a 2 year battery life in the "always on" dim mode (bright enough to read by up close)

200 hour battery life in the low beam mode (brighter in this mode than some other single led lights)

40 hour battery life in the high beam mode (super bright with a tight concentrated beam)

You can even put a lanyard on this to hang it from your neck

All this from a light in the $20 range

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
Add another vote for the PalLight. Relatively inexpensive, available with lanyard or belt clip, is pocket sized, is small enough and comfortable enough to hold with the mouth if both hands are busy, "always on" allows it it be set down in the shadows and still be found, and one model claims to have s-e-v-e-n levels of light intensity! Rectangular shape WILL NOT roll away, and rubber case reduces NOISE when (not if) it is dropped. Did I miss anything? Long battery life, available in several colors of case AND beam. (Do I sound like a commercial or what!) Oh yeah... the primary LED advantage that the "bulbs" don't blow out when you least have time to change them.

Brock

Flashaholic
Jumping in late here, but as some of you know I work in a 2000 seat "road house". We do over 300 shows a year. I would say without a doubt the light she will use the most would be a Photon 3 on a neck lanyard. I would be willing to be she already has the lanyard, but I use mine set in the dimmest setting, then I can get the full power by squeezing the front, more then enough light to see by in a dark theatre.

If it is for tech rehearsals then I would recommend a "little light" with a weighted base, actually most SM's have little lights mounted right to the SM calling station, so she might not need one of her own.

Saaby

Flashaholic
"If it is for tech rehearsals then I would recommend a "little light" with a weighted base"

Wait until next year for that one, like I said--I'm working on something.

BTY, they're called Little Lights but if you want to find them you're going to have to seatch for Littlite darn brand names...

Saaby

Flashaholic
Whoops! Cough syrup induced double post, except that I'm not on cough syrup...