The Quark lights thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://chows.smugmug.com/photos/547655089_ktCPT-O.jpg Here is the link to the advertisement announcing the new Quark lights...you can click on the ad to enlarge it...to read.

They all have square threading...I think thats the best?

I`m pretty excited about the 1 AA light. 90 OTF (out the front) lumens.

Nice sturdy reversible clip.

10 year performance warranty!!!

Let`s try to keep this thread from getting closed down from nonsense ;)

Here is a link to pricing info http://www.4sevens.com/index.php?cPath=297&osCsid=bc618af22d259d4eea13647d9b03f0a2

Last edited:

loanshark

Enlightened
I'm in. This one may prompt me to sell my L1D. I think the square threading may be my favorite detail as well.

skeefu

Newly Enlightened
I would love to purchase a AA Quark from 4 7's but playing devil's advocate, if I may, why not purchase a NDI or a Fenix LD Q5 when the lumens are 120 vs. 90. (Just for the record, I am the owner of BOTH the above mentioned, and then some).:candle:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would love to purchase a AA Quark from 4 7's but playing devil's advocate, if I may, why not purchase a NDI or a Fenix LD Q5 when the lumens are 120 vs. 90. (Just for the record, I am the owner of BOTH the above mentioned, and then some).:candle:

4Seven's lumens are OTF. Hard to tell at the moment since no one has the lights yet to compare with Nitecore or Fenix. But I guess they'll be about the same. If it is the case, then it boils down the kind of UI, features and runtime you prefer. :shrug:

HKJ

Flashaholic
As Zeruel says, but the light output is not the only parameter for a flashlight, there are many other aspect to include when selecting a light and it looks like 7777 has thought about a lot of them. Anyway even if there is a difference between them, it will be very hard to see.

I also have both the NDI and LD10 light, but have already ordered some 7777 lights (I am crazy). :naughty:

sweetlight

Newly Enlightened
I tried to read the link but the print was too small. Does anyone know if they are forward clickies? Also the runtime on a AA?

Toaster

Enlightened

Reasons I can think of:

- Reversible/removable clip
- Sapphire AR coated lens (no more scratched up lens!)
- Square threading (far more resistant to wear and cross-threading)
- Multiple, sensibly spaced light levels without PWM for max efficiency and no visible modulation
- Available neutral tint
- Can run 14500 for increased output without issues (LD10 will overheat and lose low levels, NDI doesn't gain much with 14500)
- XP-E emitter for smooth artifact free beam
- Lots of knurling but no crazy strike bezel to cut through your pockets
- Emitter guaranteed to be centered

And has been stated before. Quark lights are rated OTF lumens while D10 and LD10 are not. So you are falling victim to marketing by directly comparing their lumen ratings.

Last edited:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since it's my custom to :poke: about it... I can't wait for the 18650 version!
:devil: That should give some insanely long runtime. Hope it stays slim for EDC (think Fenix P3D/ PD30 for 18650... the model we've been wanting for 2 years now.)
Looks like 4Sevens may beat them to it and do it better in the process.

Looks good so far. I like the option for tactical/ non-tactical UI. Should be a small batch of neutral tinted lights available iirc so that's also a :thumbsup:. Reversible, remove-able pocket clip is good. Acme threads is great. XP-E emitters seem to be great for flashlights after seeing them do so well in Eagletac lights.

ninjaboigt

Enlightened
This is looking like a very intresting light, i really want the tactical version!

i love the reversable pocket clip ( i love bezel down)
the Clip on the AA version looks like it holds on to your pocket between the smooth part of the flashlight and the clip, but the 123-2 looks like it holds on to the pocket by knurling and the clip...( i think the 123-2 might tare up pockets in the long run...)

Can any body tell me the LED their using? is it better the Q5s? i never played with a R2 before..

edit, oh yea, i really hope they have good white difusers, the way surefire does, or even the fenix style ones, and traffic wands!...

Last edited:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
R2 is exactly the same as a Q5... just a bit more light gets emitted at the same drive current.
The difference in the emitters is the Quarks are using XP-E emitters according to that above linked info. Which is different from an XR-E that many lights have been using for the past two years or so. There's plenty of info around here comparing the XP-E to the XR-E (both from the Cree company) if you want to get detailed. In general though the Xp-E comes in a smaller package and has a smoother beam.

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 123-version is jsut a little bit bigger than the EX10, my current EDC. So it might be my next EDC. Or I just wait for the 18650-version ;). But I definitly have to get one Quark-light and it has to be in warm-white :D.

rayman

ninjaboigt

Enlightened
Thanks Alot Phantom Photon!

the Quick details was just enough information =D
im not too technical...

lol smoother beam, i already thought the Q5 was pretty smooth!

Status
Not open for further replies.