I finally found a GOOD cordless phone!

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many years ago--over a decade ago in fact--I purchased a Sony SPP-AQ25 cordless phone & answering system. This was before the 900 MHz phones, and it has a big long antenna sticking out the top of it. It broadcasts and receives at 44 / 48 MHz and the sound quality is virtually indistinguishable from a corded phone. I'm not exaggerating. And the range is incredible. 100 feet or more, although out that far the sound quality deteriorates. The answer system uses a tape for recording messages but has a digitally recorded greeting. I paid $120 for it back then in 1998 or so. The handset is large and easy to hold, but light, and the buttons are very large and easy to activate. I love it. But the thing is old, and has "been through the wars" as they say. The antenna is held together with kapton tape and electrical shrink wrap tubbing, and the battery cover is, of course, broken, and is also held on by tape. The plastic is yellowing, and for months the tape recorder would keep threatening to quit.

So, for a long time now I have been worrying: what will I do when my Sony SPP-AQ25 dies? What could possibly replace it? I've purchased two or three cordless phones for my parents and in-laws over the last five or so years, and have used various peoples cordless phones at different times, and have never been happy with the phones. They all fell far, far short of my own. They had poor sound quality, poor range, were small and difficult to use, and were just plain cheap. And many of them had awful talk times due to dead or dying battery packs.

Well, a year or so ago, I looked into the issue more thoroughly, hoping to find a replacement before it was needed, and to my relief I discovered the Panasonic DECT 6.0 phones. DECT stands for digital enhanced cordless telecommunications, and works in a frequency range that will not interfere with your wireless router or other wireless devices likely to be found in a home. Like a cell phone, it's a digital spread spectrum setup, as opposed to discrete channels, and thus is a lot more secure than the older cordless phones.

Anyway, at the time I first researched things, I liked the KX-TG8232 best of the Panasonic line, but when I tried out the handsets in person at Target, I wasn't entirely pleased with how they felt, with their ergonomics. I also thought the color LCD of the 8232 was maybe unnecessary. So, I kept on using my decade old Sony, although I kept the 8232 in mind.

Then, a month or so ago the answering machine part of my Sony phone died. The motor (or belt) that drove the tape would no longer actually drive it, and so no message would get recorded. I proceeded directly to Amazon to order the 8232, but found that it was only available via a market place seller. This gave me pause and made me wonder what newer Panasonic model had replaced it, which led me to the KX-TG1032S.

So, hoping for the best, I ordered it.

Well, let me tell you, I am very glad I did! I wrote a review for it on Amazon, but it won't be up for a day or so. However, you can read the features and other reviews there for more info. In short, it's got good ergonomics, is well built, has great range, good sound quality, incredible talk time, an exceptionally good speakerphone built into each handset, and uses two AAA NiMH batteries. You can also intercom between handsets, and up to three handsets can be on the same line at a time, with each other, or with each other and an outside caller. And, each handset has a socket for a headset to plug into.

The sound quality isn't quite as good as my old Sony, which was indistinguishable from corded phones, but it's still very good, and doesn't seem to be bothered by interference and walls and so on.

Perhaps I am just late to the game and most people know about the Panasonic cordless phones, but I'm guessing that maybe a lot of other people wouldn't mind a recommendation for a new, decent, cordless phone. For what it's worth, here it is!

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's the same one I bought after research. It seemed to be the only cordless phone out there that people actually liked.

Put in Eneloops instead of the crappy 550mAh cells they come with.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using for about a year a Panasonic KX-TG7220JT and I am perfectly happy with it. :thumbsup:

I still have in it the 550 mAh NiMH's though. :(

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only use panasonic cordless here. I have three different models(don't remember what they are)but they are flawless in operation.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was going to ask about the intelligence of the charging system, but I see in your Amazon review that it is well designed for NiMH cells.

Thanks for the review, I've been looking for a reason to dump my crappy Uniden phone.

Peter

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I got the 1032S set after searching as well; I dig the "ringtones" that you can set, plus having the speakerphone feature on the handset really simplifies things..

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had similar issues with cordless phones. Crappy audio, not enough volume and no speakerphone. I just could not seem to find a decent one at any price until I tried a Panasonic speakerphone version. But that one has taken a few too many falls from high places and the battery was dying so I was in search for something to replace it. My first experience with a DECT phone was not good - but it was a garage sale system so no big loss. Audio was terrible on the phone but okay for intercom. Then I found a Uniden Dect 6.0 at Big Lots for $25 with answering machine and it's been great in audio quality and everything else - excellent range in heavy forested area is easily 300-400 feet. Later I was looking to buy another there but they were out of the Uniden. They had a 2 phone set GE brand DECT system with answering machine for $25 again! It works just as well as the Uniden but the ergonomics aren't quite as good. At the price point I think it's a steal. Nice intercom too and both the Uniden and GE seem to last an amazingly long time on the little AAA NiMH batteries. I'm sold on DECT technology.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank's for the cordless suggestion. :)

We had a cordless here a few years ago. I couldn't stand it. I missed my rich, pure, buttery, analog corded sound. Bought a wired wall unit, and haven't looked back since. But if this phone is the best compromise, that is good to know.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
We had a cordless here a few years ago. I couldn't stand it. I missed my rich, pure, buttery, analog corded sound.

Modern cordless phones have so much bandwidth that the sound quality has to do with the speaker in the phone, not the connection type.

If sound quality is your prime concern, you should look into a VoIP phone service; since these don't rely on telephone wires or hardware at all, the fidelity is beyond what a phone is capable of. You can literally use a studio/recording microphone and your call will sound indistinguishable from an FM radio broadcast..

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
MARNAV1,

The 1032 is about $70, from either Amazon (directly--they are out of stock on them right now) or at Target. However, when I looked, Target only had the 1033, which costs more and has three handsets instead of two. If I had it to do over again I might have gone for that. Not because I actually would use three handsets, but so that I would have a spare handset in reserve for when one of the other two gets damaged, as they inevitably do after enough time. I like this set so much I'm going to order a spare handset (about $37) and just put it away, new in box, for when one of my other two handsets gets damaged. By the time that happens, it's likely that Panasonic won't make this exact model anymore and I'll need to replace the whole system or something. Not what I want to do. I get attached to my technology. Not to the point where I'm afraid to upgrade when the time comes, but definitely to the point where I don't like to upgrade/change unless I have to.

StarHalo,

That's really great to know--about the VoIP sound quality. I had heard people talk negatively about it --stuff about weird pauses and dropouts and odd changes in volume. I like the idea of VoIP, but I would definitely not want to give up sound quality. Nice to know that there's no inherent reason why you would have to.

spock

Enlightened
js, like you, we had an old cordless with the long antenna like a cb radio. think it was made by bearcat. sound was good and range phenomenal. from my upstairs bedroom in spfld,oh to the post office was about 1/4 mile. sound was scratchy, but it would make the connection. still have it in the garage somewhere. we bought the panasonic kx-tg6445t (5 handsets) from costco and they are outstanding. $140 with free s & h. wife wanted handsets all over the house. intercom is nice. only complaint is the base doesn't tell you how many messages you have waiting. in case of an emergency(break in), my wife wanted an illuminated keypad to dial 911 in a dark room. these units seem to work quite well.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just replaced a lightning damaged Vteck system with a Pansonic DECT 6. I forget the model number but it's not as nice a system as the Vtech. I will most likely replace the Pany, maybe even with another Pany.

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
I gave up on regular cordless phones. I got tired of buying new ones every 1.5 years and they kept getting worse just like you're saying, plus I don't get any cellular reception at a couple businesses that I support near my house, so I spent the big $$$ and sprang for the Engenius long-range phone.

It ain't cheap by anyone's definition, but...

900 MHz.

Handles multiple phone lines (there's a single-line version too).

Truly tough, drop-able handsets.

I get about 1/2 mile range out of it with the bigger (included) antenna attached.

Done deal.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
House phone quality crapped out for the same reason hand mixer and window fan quality did. Large swaths of people (particularly people with money) abandoned the technology.

Why buy a quality hand mixer when you can buy a stand mixer? Why buy a quality window fan when you can buy a true air conditioner? Why buy a quality handset system and one $40/mo bill when every member of the house is already paying $60/mo for their own phone. Yea, doesn't make sense to me either, but it happens constantly.

In the case of phones, the only good brand left is Panasonic. The only premium brand left is Siemens, but they don't even bother marketing in the US. Inspired by your review, here is a another on one approach to VoIP:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/233055

Incidentally, Dualit makes an excellent hand mixer, but they are nearly as hard to find as Siemens phones.

Last edited:

da.gee

Enlightened
I wish my Panny would die so I'd have an excuse for a new one (TG5432). It has been solid for many years. Costco has the DECT 6.0 with five handsets and a base for $139.99.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Just wondering, do any of these phones have bass and treble controls? I have hearing issues and seldom find a phone with good quality sound, that you can adjust.

Bill

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
binky,

OMG! That is so cool! Where were you when I needed you? I might have gone for one of those engenious long range phone deals. How much are they, by the way?

ElectronGuru,

So, you think cordless phone quality went down hill because people with money all have cell phones? Not arguing, just trying to make sure I'm understanding you. Sounds plausible.

geepondy,

All the uniden phones I've ever used have sucked big time. My in-laws have a uniden set right now; it may even be a DECT, in fact, but it's awful in so many ways. So, I don't think the issues is 900MHz vs. DECT. I think it's Panny vs. Uni. Although, I have certainly experienced some bad panasonic cordless phones, but they were the cheapest entry level ones--about $35 kind of range. And they weren't really bad, just weren't good.

Bullzeyebill,

I've never run across a cordless phone with bass and treble controls.

coloradogps,

Good to know!