ITP C9 or E1B?

JTI

Newly Enlightened
I'm trying to decide between the above, and would like some thoughts from those in the know. I like the beam profile and throw of the E1B. 5 lumens is just what I would choose for the low. Build quality and reliability presumably go without saying at that price too.
I'm also drawn to the ITP C9, and am surprised by the relative lack of commentary on this light. I like the beam produced by the mixed reflector, the 6 lumen low and the ability to ramp up and down (assuming it's intuitive and not too fiddly). I like the size - and the 180 lumens on full (I'm guessing the real lumen count is quite a bit less?)
Does anyone have both lights? If so, how does output compare - presumably the C9 is brighter, with more throw? Or does that optic level things out in terms of throw. How fiddly/reliable is the interface on the C9? How cool is the tint (I prefer warmer tints, but pure white is good too). At a third of the price of an E1B, this seems like a great light on paper.
EZAA looks interesting too, considering smaller form factor.

Niconical

Enlightened
The C9 is very bright, and the low can be set significantly lower than the low on the E1B. The ramping to the level you want then locking it is easy. As for throw, the iTP range certainly have it. All in all, they're great lights. In fact, the C7T, that's the AA version of the C9, is one of my few non Surefire users/keepers.

There is however a more important difference you should consider. The E1B has a forward switch. This means you can lightly depress the switch, without actually clicking it, if you want it on just briefly. So, to turn the E1B on for example for 1 second, press slightly for 1 second, release. The C9 is the opposite, you need to fully click it in then release before it comes on. So the 1 second for the C9 would be click on/release, 1 second of light, click off. That might not sound that different, but it's crucial to how you use the light.

I would suggest a compromise. The iTP C10T, which is available as a forward ('tactical') switch. It's not much bigger than the E1B, and you set your own level as with the C9.

Finally, that's assuming you specifically want to go down the CR123A route. If you don't, consider the AA version I mentioned, the C7T. That, plus a good charger and 4-pack of nimh eneloops and you're set. :)

travelinman

Enlightened
I don't have the E1B but I do have the ITP C9 with a C8 and C7 body. That was one of my criteria, flexibility. I now have single RCR123, or single AA, or double AA flashlights with the same head. (you can also get the tactical version head with a forward clicky and no strobe I believe)

The ITP C9 is very EDC, the rounded shape makes it perfect in the pocket. (no snide comments from the peanut gallery please) :devil:

It's very bright, nice intuitive ramping and very low low.

A big plus is that Bryan at Shiningbeam is terrific to deal with. I had some trouble with a battery and thought it was the light. When I emailed Bryan he told me to pop it in the mail and he was sending me a new light immediately (not waiting to get the old one first). Luckily I found out about the battery a few minutes later, before he sent me a new one and so saved him the trouble. That's the kind of customer service I like.

SureAddicted

Enlightened
After some thinking, I would avoid lights that ramp up/down, there's a few good reasons why.
Some lights ramp up/down to quickly, making it very difficult to set the brightness to your desired level.
Once you have set the output, you wont know what the lumen count is, besides high and low. So setting it to the same brightness on different occasions might prove to be a challenge.
The other thing you also wont know is runtime, again besides high and low you wont have a clue on the runtime.
I would personally stick with multi modes if I was going that way.
Go the E1B, you can't go wrong with it.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Direct comparison of the ITP C9 and E1B - inclduing runtimes, beamshots, throw and min/max output numbers - can be found in my 1xCR123A review.

FYI, Olight has just release their "infinitum" series of lights, which are basically the build from older T series lights but with the ITP interface and a forward clicky. I will be posting a review of the whole series shortly.

travelinman

Enlightened
Some lights ramp up/down to quickly said:
Some may, the ITP C9 seems just right. I can stop it wherever I want.

I can't imagine a situation where I would want exactly the same lumen count that I used the last time I looked for a lost component in a dark place? Not saying there's a situation where I would, just that I haven't run across any yet.

I figure with the batteries I am used to using, and the experience I am gaining with the light, I can just about tell whenever I need to stick the cells on the charger.

Again YMMV.:)

JTI

Newly Enlightened
Many thanks for the useful pointers.

I'll take a closer look at the other ITP lights, niconical.

According to your chart, selfbuilt, the E1B significantly out-throws the C9 (and a lot of other much higher output lights). I've never handled a light with optics, so it's hard to imagine the beam. Comparatively, is it simply dimmer but much narrower, thus the big throw? Or does it give the impression of much higher output, with useable spill? Is the hotspot not too concentrated to be useful about the house (on low), compared to the C9? Look forward to your Olight Infinitum review, by the way.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
According to your chart, selfbuilt, the E1B significantly out-throws the C9 (and a lot of other much higher output lights). I've never handled a light with optics, so it's hard to imagine the beam. Comparatively, is it simply dimmer but much narrower, thus the big throw? Or does it give the impression of much higher output, with useable spill? Is the hotspot not too concentrated to be useful about the house (on low), compared to the C9? Look forward to your Olight Infinitum review, by the way.
The C9 has the standard CREE+reflector profile of a distinct hotspot followed by a diffuse spillbeam with a sharp edge. Thanks to collimating optic, the E1B has a further throwing and broader hotspot, with little defined spill to speak of. The E1B is actually a very pleasing beam for when looking into something where you don't want a lot of blow-back from the spillbeam (e.g. looking through a tinted window, through dense foliage, between rocks, etc.). Up close, the E1B still provides some spill - it just doesn't provide as much as reflector light, and doesn't have a distinct edge to end of its spillbeam.

It's hard to explain further - you would need to handle an E1B to gauge it. But note the E1B hotspot is also wider than typical reflector light, with a less sharp boundary edge into the (admittedly limited) spill area.

Also, E1B's are only rated for 60 lumens on max. Mine (and several others reported here) seems to be closer to 120. But there are others who report ones with much lower output (and less throw) than the typical 1xCR123A lights. So I wouldn't pick one up in hopes of getting a good performer with superior throw - I would decide based on the beam profile and use pattern you want.

R@ndom

Enlightened
The itp lights are great! Just add a McGizmo reflector and an ucl lense for better performance. The quality construction is excellent. Also the way you can change the body tubes is awesome.