"Stun Potential": Flashlights for Self Defense - Interesting Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimdo

Newly Enlightened
Interesting article, One of the most effective ways at testing it is either , 1. Literally shine the light into a mirror in a dark room at various distances and see the effects on you or 2. have a buddy use it against you in various situations.
I have personally attempted various lights with strobing mechs in the mirror and they are quite effective for the small amount of time that I can keep looking at the beam.

null

Newly Enlightened
Lol, I tried the mirror technique and boy... It worked. I blasted my P7 mag into my face and I was seeing stars for at least 15-20 seconds. (Which should be enough time for one to run away or get some help) :D

Howecollc

Enlightened
So what happens when you flash your light, only to find that a shotgun is already aimed at you?

Last edited:

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
So what happens when you flash your light, only to find that a shotgun is already aimed at you?

Probably the same as if you reach for your gun and a shotgun is already aimed at you. Actually reaching for a gun might be an even worse idea in that situation. Personally I'd offer them my money and my flashlight.

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flashlights for self defense have been discussed a lot but this is the first time I've seen photos that somewhat indicate whether or not a flashlight would be relatively effective to blind an attacker. Interesting article with some nice photos: Stun Potential: Using Your Flashlight for Self Defense?

Very nice photos, indeed.

There have been LOTS of posts about this over the years, but I do think that this is one way to look at the "blinding ability" of the different lights... At the very least, a cool way to compare brightness!

:laughing:

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
People who are not well trained should not react.

I hate when I saw those kind of propaganda of flashlights, folders (pocket knives), etc... They gave the false impression that you, a middle age family guy, is prepared to fight armed bandits just because you have your Surefire or your Spyderco in your pocket...

Here in my country, most of those "reacting heros" is dead. And just because they chose not to give their wallets, but react with his "military" folder.

:shakehead

yalskey

Enlightened
I probably should weight in on this issue, being it's right up my alley and all.

Flashlights, just like any gadget, gizmo, or firearm for self-defense have their pros and their cons. However, it's more about the user of those devices... their understanding, handling, expectations, maturity, and training.

Can a gadget (such as a flashlight in this case) be a helpful tool to mitigate a violent encounter? Yes. Is it more likely that an ill-prepared / ill-equipped / ill-conceived person will wield and put false security in a flashlight (or other device they may carry) in their ability to help them? Absolutely.

Understand what the device can do for you, realistically. Remember that it is just a tool, and you shouldn't over-rely on it, or be over-eager to use it. Be able to go hand-to-hand if need be. But above all that, exercise awareness and avoidance abilities to circumvent trouble if possible.

Also try to understand how employing a device can worsen the situation. It could malfunction, be taken away from you, insight an escalation of violence, draw your attention away from other, more simple and effective methods to escape / survive. There are many other I could list.

If you fully understand the pros and cons. If you have backup training on what to do without the gadget. If you use the device with maturity, and have realistic expectation of what it can and can't do. If you exercise the many other things that make you a tough target, to circumvent / defuse a violent scenario ahead of time... then yes, a flashlight (or anything else) can be a good self-defense tool. Oh yeah, and you need to practice with the device... a lot!

I carry a Dereelight CL1H V4 R2 in my left pocket all the time. I find it to be useful at night to survey my surroundings. I've actually used it to stop some juveniles from approaching me after I told them to stop their advance. It really did stop them in their tracks, but then again, they weren't that committed to doing me harm I suppose. It's just one more layer in my self-defense portfolio. So long as I keep it in that context, it's a benefit to me.

I've actually done a podcast or two on this very subject... although I can't recall the episode numbers off the top of my head.

Anyone interested in this kind of stuff may want to check it out with the link in my sig line.

DM51

Flashaholic
There have been dozens and dozens of threads like this, all saying the same thing, all going over the same tired old ground, again and again.

If you really want to read more, use the CPF search function, type "defense" as the keyword, and specify "Search Titles Only". You'll get >80 threads, with enough to keep you reading for a month, but be warned - they are VERY repetitious. I closed one only yesterday as surplus to requirements. This one is closed too.

Status
Not open for further replies.