Has the Legion II lost it's crown as the worlds brightest?

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
The worlds brightest was not IMO the best choice of words for the L2,so I'll just say here this is just simply putting out more lumen's than the L2 + it's made by a great flashlight builder ARCmania :twothumbs

it puts out a staggering 1350 lumen,not sure if that's OTF but even if you take away 15% it will still come in at 1147 lumen's OTF wow! and yes it's in the multi die league so it can be compared with any multi die lights out there.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well,

Here are MrGmans results without using fans to keep it cool, just real world conditions:whistle::whistle:

NeoFab Legion II_______,__3X_18650____________level 5 turbo,__616.8______3 sec_______,
NeoFab Legion II_______,__3X_18650____________level 5 turbo,__609.3_____30 sec_______,
NeoFab Legion II_______,__3X_18650____________level 5 turbo,__607.5_____60 sec_______,
NeoFab Legion II_______,__3X_18650____________level 5 turbo,__603.7____120 sec_______,
NeoFab Legion II_______,__3X_18650____________level 5 turbo,__600.0____180 sec_______,

And here is a Maglight P7 on direct drive...
Nailbender P7__________,__2D mag, with 3NiMH__3 C Tenergy,____878.5______0 sec_______,
Nailbender P7__________,__2D mag, with 3NiMH__3 C Tenergy,____760.7_____15 sec_______,
Nailbender P7__________,__2D mag, with 3NiMH__3 C Tenergy,____742.1_____30 sec_______,
Nailbender P7__________,__2D mag, with 3NiMH__3 C Tenergy.____732.7_____45 sec_______,
Nailbender P7__________,__2D mag, with 3NiMH__3 C Tenergy,____725.2_____60 sec_______,
Nailbender P7__________,__2D mag, with 3NiMH__3 C Tenergy.____719.6_____75 sec_______,
Nailbender P7__________,__2D mag, with 3NiMH__3 C Tenergy,____714.0_____90 sec_______,
Nailbender P7__________,__2D mag, with 3NiMH__3 C Tenergy,____710.3____105 sec_______,
Nailbender P7__________,__2D mag, with 3NiMH__3 C Tenergy,____704.7____120 sec_______,
Nailbender P7__________,__2D mag, with 3NiMH__3 C Tenergy,____697.2____150 sec_______,
Nailbender P7__________,__2D mag, with 3NiMH__3 C Tenergy,____691.6____180 sec_______,

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/229135 it is the 3rd post in the sticky which has the added high power lights.

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting. I thought Gman tested it to be 742 OTF, but maybe it was someone else. Gman tested the DBS MC-E 2.1A to be 500 OTF lumens I believe. If he tested the Legion II to be 616 OTF lumens that would explain why the one I saw didn't look much brighter than my DBS MC-E 2.4A.

Also if anyone has a Tigerlight have they tried this new MC-E module?

http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.ACCT29212/it.A/id.937/.f?sc=2&category=7

I saw one of these in person, but I believe the one I saw used an optic, and the output was very impressive. I'm not sure if those production versions are running at the same spec as what I saw. :)

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh I thought the L2 was 742 lumen's OTF :thinking:

FYI: This is the very same and identical Leggion II that tested at 742 with cooling fans!!!!

That is what we all though, but WBP measured the lumens with cooling tools. MrGman measured it with no freezer, cooling fans, ect..... Sorry, but as he says truth is truth.

Frankly; for real world use the lumens should be taken with no cooling tools because when I use my lights after dinner for a nice walk with the future Mrs. we never carry a portable freezer or fan..LOL...

lovecpf

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting. I thought Gman tested it to be 742 OTF, but maybe it was someone else. Gman tested the DBS MC-E 2.1A to be 500 OTF lumens I believe. If he tested the Legion II to be 616 OTF lumens that would explain why the one I saw didn't look much brighter than my DBS MC-E 2.4A.
Yes that would explain why I thought it didn't look that much brighter too.

FYI: This is the very same and identical Leggion II that tested at 742 with cooling fans!!!!

That is what we all though, but WBP measured the lumens with cooling tools. MrGman measured it with no freezer, cooling fans, ect..... Sorry, but as he says truth is truth.

Frankly; for real world use the lumens should be taken with no cooling tools because when I use my lights after dinner for a nice walk with the future Mrs. we never carry a portable freezer or fan..LOL...

lovecpf
I agree 100% about using lights without the need for extra cooling,which is how I like to run my lights :D

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
With or without cooling fans, the 3 second mark is no where close to 742 lumens.

MrGman or WBP.....which of your two measurments is more accurate?....mainly referring to the 3 second mark.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
With or without cooling fans, the 3 second mark is no where close to 742 lumens.

MrGman or WBP.....which of your two measurments is more accurate?....mainly referring to the 3 second mark.

MrGman helped WBP calibrate his home sphere...

MrGman mentioned to me that when he puts the light in the freezer for an extended period. The turn on lumens are higher and the drop-in in lumens afterwards is not as severe. They are both accurate and I think the freezer thrick and the cooling fans make that much of a difference. Plus, I think the 742 Leggion numbers were taken in the winter where 50~60 degrees were the conditions prior to the fans.:poke:

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
MrGman helped WBP calibrate his home sphere...

MrGman mentioned to me that when he puts the light in the freezer for an extended period. The turn on lumens are higher and the drop-in in lumens afterwards is not as severe. They are both accurate and I think the freezer thrick and the cooling fans make that much of a difference. Plus, I think the 742 Leggion numbers were taken in the winter where 50~60 degrees were the conditions prior to the fans.:poke:

Seems like they orchestrated the test to achieve max lumens that are likely not to be duplicated in real-world use. And the bummer is that Neo is advertising the Legion II at the 742 lumen value.

Well, I guess the people doing core drillings on Antartica would get the 742 lumens. :oops:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems like they orchestrated the test to achieve max lumens that are likely not to be duplicated in real-world use. And the bummer is that Neo is advertising the Legion II at the 742 lumen value.

Well, I guess the people doing core drillings on Antartica would get the 742 lumens. :oops:
As far as I know, MrGman uses different IS devices: one is the home IS version and the other is the actual IS which stays in the Lab.

The Legion-II was measured (742 lumens) without any cooling devices according to the original Neofab Legion-II thread.

Output hardly drops over time:
Legion2b.run.aw.02mar09.jpg

You might want to hear from the man if you really believe the Legion-II has any issues with heat. https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/224941

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as I know, MrGman uses different IS devices: one is the home IS version and the other is the actual IS which stays in the Lab.

The Legion-II was measured (742 lumens) without any cooling devices according to the original Neofab Legion-II thread.

If you look at MrGmans Lumens sticky on post #1 are his lab readings and post #3 are his home calibrate version. You will see the numbers on several of those are dead on. I can assure you that unfortunatelly all the cooling thricks in the books were used for the 742 leggion lumen readings.:whistle:

MrGman just recently admitted to me this new information while he had borrowed the WBP Leggion II which was the very same one that did the 742 lumens. It didn't look as bright as my P7 Mag and he was explaining other bugs with WBP's sphere that made the lumens higher....He said the his Malkoff Tripple was at 780sih out the front lumens (WBPs'), but in his sphere with no bugs to work out only 680 out the front...

Malkoff Triple Drop_____,__Maglight AR glass,__________________680.4__,___3 sec_______, This very same light did 780sih out the front with WPB's sphere.
Malkoff Triple Drop_____,__Maglight AR glass,__________________611.2__,__30 sec_______,
Malkoff Triple Drop_____,__Maglight AR glass,__________________586.9__,__60 sec_______,
Malkoff Triple Drop_____,__Maglight AR glass,__________________573.8__,__90 sec_______,
Malkoff Triple Drop_____,__Maglight AR glass,__________________562.6__,_120 sec_______,
Malkoff Triple Drop_____,__Maglight AR glass,__________________555.1__,_150 sec_______,
Malkoff Triple Drop_____,__Maglight AR glass,__________________545.8__,_180 sec_______,

Last edited:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Outdoors Fanatic if you're on about WBP'S test it was done with a cooling fan,pc 100 mm one IIRC :thinking:
He used a mere PC cooling fan and the max temperature reached was 84F. Hardly a Cryogenic Machine was needed to cool down such "nuclear heat" from the light. I'd say this is pretty darn impressive. Just look at the runtime graph!

Last edited:

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't want to take this thread off topic, but I believe that using cooling fans (not freezers..) in runtime/output tests is actually to better simulate actual use. In actual use, you are holding the light in your hand, which dissipates heat. Your hand acts as a heat sink, and does not allow the light to over heat.

Have you ever sat a light down and picked it up after a while to find it was blazing hot? Lights generally don't get this hot when holding them due to the reasons I mentioned.

No one wants to hold a light for 2 hours, so runtime tests are generally conducted with a fan on them to simulate holding the light, and thus wicking some of the heat away.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast

Output hardly drops over time:
Legion2b.run.aw.02mar09.jpg

You might want to hear from the man if you really believe the Legion-II has any issues with heat. https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/224941

I too thought the output stayed almost flat, but I beleive in MrGman's readings more because his home sphere is calibrated to the T with his work sphere.

I want to beleive too, but it is what it is.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't want to take this thread off topic, but I believe that using cooling fans (not freezers..) in runtime/output tests is actually to better simulate actual use. In actual use, you are holding the light in your hand, which dissipates heat. Your hand acts as a heat sink, and does not allow the light to over heat.

Have you ever sat a light down and picked it up after a while to find it was blazing hot? Lights generally don't get this hot when holding them due to the reasons I mentioned.

No one wants to hold a light for 2 hours, so runtime tests are generally conducted with a fan on them to simulate holding the light, and thus wicking some of the heat away.

MrGman mentioned when he puts the lights in the Freezer and then performs the test its a whole other animal. Maybe I can PM him to help explain why such a huge difference.

I do agree with the HOLDING part, but I keep my lights on my dresser or shelf before I use them: not in the Freezer. LOL...

Last edited:

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
A he used a mere PC cooling fan and the max temperature reached was 84F. Hardly a Cryogenic Machine was needed to cool down such "nuclear heat" from the light. I'd say this is pretty darn impressive. Just look at the runtime graph!
I've used simple fans to cool hot metal, air is good at disbursing heat even a simple 100mm pc fan :)