Mag Instrument invented the multi-level LED flashlight!

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the back of the package of the new multimode Minimags:

"Refining a concept pioneered by Mag Instrument, the second-generation electronics let the user choose the power level."

Amazing! I guess the dozens of multi-level flashlights that came before it, many of them doing it much better than Mag's new model, are merely a delusion.

:ironic:

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
eeeyuck.

pioneer my !!!!

seriously.. the marketing people who write that copy should be fired for not doing their research.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought Al Gore invented the multilevel light?????????:confused::confused::confused:

sabre7

Enlightened
...so where in the quote does Mag claim to have invented the multi-level led flashlight? Or did you post this thread to attract mag bashers?

youreacrab

Enlightened
"Refining a concept pioneered by Mag Instrument, the second-generation electronics let the user choose the power level."

...so where in the quote does Mag claim to have invented the multi-level led flashlight? Or did you post this thread to attract mag bashers?

+1. the power level choice is the "refinement," not the concept pioneered. what is the concept pioneered? i'd say its the maglite, which is a pretty damn good concept.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1. the power level choice is the "refinement," not the concept pioneered. what is the concept pioneered? i'd say its the maglite, which is a pretty damn good concept.
To me, and apparently to several others here, it sounds like they were the pioneers of electronics that let the user choose the power level, with the refinement being "second-generation electronics."

Hey, maybe the first-generation electronics are what was in the original Minimag LED, and Mag pioneered that. Boosting voltage to drive an LED... fancy. :)

How do you think the average flashlight buyer is going to interpret it?

SilentK

Enlightened

i thought thre same thing untill i read closer, it says

:oops:

Bronco

Enlightened
To me, and apparently to several others here, it sounds like they were the pioneers of electronics that let the user choose the power level, with the refinement being "second-generation electronics."

Hey, maybe the first-generation electronics are what was in the original Minimag LED, and Mag pioneered that. Boosting voltage to drive an LED... fancy. :)

How do you think the average flashlight buyer is going to interpret it?

This is of, course, the proper interpretation. To insist otherwise is ridiculous.

But hey, that's what marketing guys do. Yes, they understand that to make such a claim is absurd, just as they understand that informed CPF members make up .000000001% of the flashlight buying market. ;)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
You think the CEO of Maglite will sue everyone for retro-actively stealing his idea? :rolleyes:

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does CPF need another anti-Maglite thread?

It's a meaningless topic that devalues CPF as nothing more than a bunch of brand snobs.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, it's the poor heatsinking of the original Minimag LED that resulted in a multi-level light without even trying :)

This iteration they actually let the user select the level :D

Not bashing, just poking fun as 4 Minimags stare me down :eek:

Lumenz

Enlightened
The quote appears to me to read:

"Refining a concept [adjustable focus) pioneered by Mag Instrument, the second-generation electronics let the user choose the power level (adjustable power)."

I see no problem with this as Mag Instruments is just saying they pioneered the adjustable flashlight and now they are refining that concept.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does CPF need another anti-Maglite thread?

It's a meaningless topic that devalues CPF as nothing more than a bunch of brand snobs.
Hey, I think Mags are great. In fact, I've got a Minimag on my belt right now. It just irked me that they're giving consumers the impression that adjustable-output LED flashlights started with this newest-model Minimag.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Maybe Maglite should be sued by the other companies over this, like they did in the past to anything that looked remotely similar or even used similar batteries to their light.

Bronco

Enlightened
How is calling out a company for making specious advertising claims "bashing" them? People come here to learn about flashlights. They should have access to something approaching the truth, to whatever extent the truth can be divined. There's a 3D Mag bouncing around in the backseat of my truck even as we speak. But I don't see how that bit of trivia has any bearing on the discussion at hand. If Maglite were the only brand on CPF to ever have their feet held to the fire vis-a-vis dubious or misleading marketing claims, then such protestations might carry more weight. This is not the case, however - not by a long shot.