Brink Legend / BadBoy / MadMax question

rdf

Newly Enlightened
I really like d2z's BadBoy and MadMax modules. However, in common w/ some cpf-er's comments, I don't care much for the Kroll switch I'm using right now. I think the Brinkmann Legend 2AA looks like a good idea, but I would like to know:

Does using BBoy or MMax in Brink Legend 2AA require any modification, adjustment, etc, either of the sammitches, or of the Legend?

Thx.

Russ

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Russ,
To answer your question, no...no mods necessary to the Brinkmann, it will drop straight in. The Brink is a better flashlight to put the module in than the Mag, it is thicker so will draw the heat away faster and the tailswitch is great! The first light my Badboy took roost was the Minimag with the Kroll switch, it was OK but when I moved it to the Legend it was markedly better. Cools better, love the rubber grips and the locking tailswitch is perfect.
My BB400 Q3L is in shipment so my EDC will be changing pretty soon. It will take up residence in the Brinkmann. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

rdf

Newly Enlightened
Excellent news, BHTx. Thanks for the quick reply.
(Of course, we're both in TX, so we didn't have to get onto the Interstate portion of the internet ..... I'm sure that made it somewhat faster ....) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I guess I will have to try a Brinkman, though I have never had a bit of trouble with my Kroll on mini mag. I am using MM+ so maybe Brinkman will provide a better heat sink. I am currently using kroll on mini mags with MM and MM+, on LSH-P, and on a G2. That has to be some kind of testiment, and never, ever a problem, so i usually just roll my eyes when I hear of these terrible, terrible, difficut, irritating, troublesome, unhappy, etc. problems with Kroll. Or I forgot, I use a Kroll on a Opalic Newbeam also, with no, not ever, ever, problems. Am i repeating myself? I know Iam even irritating myself with this banality. Forgive me. Maybe I should be talking in the CAFE about my unforgiving attiude, about the terrible terrible Kroll switch. I need medication to help me here. Thanks for hearing me out; saves me money not going to a Psychiatrist. Did I misspell that? Bill

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bill,
If a person is going to buy a flashlight to put the MM or BB in, buy a Brinkmann by all means. No need to buy a Kroll and the Brink switch locks and is flat for standing on end. Maybe the BB500 is too much current for the Kroll, maybe it is due to burning up 40+ AA batteries through it. BTW, I have a spare Kroll in case the Brink tailswitch breaks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
BentHeadTX, you are probably right. Roy noted problem with Kroll and output to leds, and he or someone suggested a fix with heaver duty springs, I think. Correct me if I am wrong. I know that there is a lot of current going to led with MM+, and there might be resistance factor involved. I will try the Brinkman, as an alternative. Please forgive my tirade re Kroll, I just get so tired of complaints. Bill

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm starting to sound like a broken record /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif YES, put it in a Brinkman!! They are excellent hosts. The clicky switch on mine has no trouble with my BB500. The same switch on a 3 cell one can carry over an amp when I run my LGI on NiMH.

Superior host all the way around.

There are installation issues that are easier on the brinkman too.

SDryer

Newly Enlightened
On suggestions from members here on the Brinkmann Legend, and being a Newbie, that's what I decided to use. I received my M-MM Plus Q3 this Saturday morning and in about half an hour had the neccessary pieces removed from the Brinkmann and had the conversion finished! WOW, what an incredible light, I've been playing with it the entire weekend. I really like the Brinkmann, especially the rubber gripping surfaces and the clickie switch, I don't feel much heat at all. I purchased a KL1 head for my SF E2E Friday night and was impressed till I got the MM installed into the Brinkman. For only 10.00 more for the Brinkman and the M-MM Plus Q3 as opposed to the KL1 head,(50.00), I feel like it's a steal. Everyone that has tried them both so far as liked the Brinkmann conversion better. Just seems like everything was made for the "Brinky"
Regards SonnyD

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
OK, I will do it. What stores carry Brinkman? Have not seem them at Walmart. Ace does not carry them. Sears? Target does not carry them, nor Kmart. Bill

dw_1984

Newly Enlightened
Actually I'm also wondering where to find Brinkmann products in Canada. Haven't seen them advertised anywhere. It was suggested that House of Knives carried them but I haven't had the chance to look and they're quite pricey (MiniMag w/ pouch for $30CDN or roughly $22USD).

Any local choices (in Toronto) or must I resort to shipping?

Thanks,
Daniel

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you already have a minimag, then you can "have the option" of putting it into the minimag. But if you don't have the light, or want a more stable host, the Brinkmann's the best. It won't suffer from the flickering problem of a mag if you host it with a kroll. Nor would it suffer from the head turning wear-tear of the minimag. And the LOTC of the Brinkmann's another added bonus. Plus, the Brinkmann is a little beefier for better heat dissipation.

If you've got an REI store near you, you can grab one... You can also order from REI's site, or directly from Brinkmann... On some occasions, Walmart has 'em...

Bill, the Santa Rosa REI should stock the Brinkmanns...

freewheelin'

Enlightened
Yeah, where do you find 'em? I'm planning on doing a half dozen and have new Mag AA's for the droppins. BUT I got a MM500 in a Brinkman in a trade and love it. I'll order 6 Krolls if I have to but would rather get Brinkmans.
BTW any one need some MiniMags? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Here's the url to the Brinkmann web site. I've had good service from them. Shipping is free in the lower 48 states.

SDryer

Newly Enlightened
I was having the same problem Wal Mart was the only place that had them, but they only carried the LX. Much to my surprize when I finally let my "Fingers do the walking" and picked up the Yellow pages, I found that I had a Brinkmann headquarters only about 5 miles away, so I went there and picked it up direct, 12.00 with tax.
Regards SonnyD

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haaah, My wall-wart does not have the LX and legend.
Btw, try K-Mart or target. They might carry brinkmann line-up

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Thanks, Falcon. I will try REI. I just remembered Marin Outdoors in Santa Rosa, will try there too. I going down to Santa Rosa tomorrow on errands. Bill

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bullz, be warned though. I think REI has a more steep price. But if you got no other place to go, then you got no other choice but REI.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sacramento's REI had them for $9.95 each... Should be the same for other REIs as well...

Beats the heck out of ordering from Brinkmann's site...