Surefire recommandation

RY3

Enlightened
Hi,

I need some recommandation to choose a Surefire flashlight.

I current have couple of 4 cell Maglite, an Inova X5, an UK 2L and a Streamlight Scorpion. Now I like to get a Surefire (I never seen one in real life).

I was thinking a get a E2e, but after some (lot of) reading in this board as well as in the SF's board, I learn that the E2e is not brighter than the Scorpion. So I throught may be I should get a G2 or 6P with a P61 instead. Wait... I heard the new G2Z is recently released!

My first question is: How much bigger is the G2/6P/G2Z compare to E2e? Are they still "pocketable".

Secondly, consider this SF (as well as other lights) purchase is more of a "toy"
blush.gif
to me and since I already have a Scorpion/X5 etc, which of these SF will give me more "wow" factor
grin.gif
?

Thanks

Ron

Darell

Flashaholic
My vote for best small/toy/wow for the buck is the G2z with a P61 LA. I have a picture around here somewhere comparing the G2 and the E2. Let me see if I can find it before somebody else beats me to it...

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look here for a size comparison picture of surefires with a streamlight scorpion.

Remember, the E2e can use a low output (25 lumen) lamp assembly & run for close to 2.5 hours. It is also smaller than a streamlight scorpion.

Look at the bottom of this page for a picture comparing the inova X5 & E2.

The D2, C2, Z2, G2 & G2Z are all about the same size or a little bigger than the scorpion. The M2's bezel makes it much bigger than the scorpion. The surefires are better built but the scorpion is a great light, I was very impressed with the one I had. All the above surefires can use a P61 and burn brighter than your scorpion. Although the P61 didn't seem much brighter to me, it just seemed like it had a larger hotspot, giving you more light and just a little brighter. But at 20 minutes runtime max this can get expensive.

More Wow facor?
Well if you want a 2 cell flashlight to do that then you want one with a P61 (120 lumen lamp assembly).
I think the G2Z is a good light to get especially for the money. It has many things your scorpion does not: Pyrex lens, Lock out tail cap, combat grip body style, P61 capability. The M2 on the other hand has every feature of the G2Z and adds Type III HA aluminum body, pocket clip, Shock isolated bezel & includes both the P60 & P61.

The C2 HA is basically an M2 without the shock Isolated bezel & P61 LA.

Many of the other 2 cell surefires do not have pyrex lenses or Type III HA finish but use the same P60 & P61 LA's so they will be the same brightness.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Ordering the G2Z and P61 Lamp is one of the best ways of getting into SureFires.

The E2e has the very impressive ability to power the KL1 Luxeon Bezel. I think you should consider the E2e also, perhaps more so.

Al

RY3

Enlightened
Thank you so much for all comments & suggestion.

The A2 looks cool. I wonder if it will have the HOLA option when it release?

Couple more quick question:

1. With P61 on both lights, does G2z produces same brightness as M2?

2. Since E2-GM and E2E-SG (same colour right?) both have the Lexan lens (only E2E-HA has Pyrex window) and a HOLA is unlikely to happen to E2E. Is there any advantage to go with E2E-SG? The reason I ask is I kind of like appearance of E2 better and it is a bit smaller too without the locking end cap.

Thanks

Ron

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. yes
2. GM and SG are not the same color. GM is almost shiny and satin grey is well, um satin.
I would only consider HA finish in an E2 or E2e light because of its nearly bombproof durability for EDC.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I only consider HA a viable flashlight finish for use and carry (Especially for EDC). Anything else is more toy or shelf finish...

There are strong suggestions that the KL1 are a couple of weeks from release.

Al