Maglite Luxeon/Rebel Runtime Graphs?

Sam44

Newly Enlightened
Are there any runtime graphs available comparing the older Maglite Luxeons with the newer Rebels. I'm interested in both the 2D and 3D models. Maybe throw in a Malkoff just for comparison. I've been looking for a while but either I'm looking in the wrong place or they're just not being run like they were in the "old days".

Thanks

GPB

Enlightened
I was able to run the mini mag for 48 hours on low. It was a little dimmer but still quite useable.

Mags don't get a lot of love around here, but the new Rebel Mags are pretty good. No, they aren't Surefire good or anything like that, but for a $25-30 dollar light from a brick and mortar store with a lifetime guarantee, they are hard to beat. I've got a 2D rebel and a couple of 2 AA rebel mini-mags, and like them all. You can even switch the multi-mode LED in the mini mag with the 2D LED and get a multi mode 2D Mag. You'll give up some brightness but have a light that will run for weeks on low. I have seen some threads around here that indicate there may be a multi-mode C mag coming out in the future.

Bonky

Banned
eh, I don't think the people here DISLIKE mags.. they're just not very impressed by them. Let's face it, there ain't much to talk about vis-a-vis maglites and there hasn't been in 20 years.

They're fine, reliable lights. They haven't changed in nearly a generation. That's their selling point. They're inexpensive, nearly indestructible, and they don't freak non-flashaholics out with weird 21st century stuff.

Like I said, they're the IBM of flashlights. Boring as hell but stable and reliable and predictable.

If I could only have one light for the rest of my life it might very well be a 2D maglite. But since I can own lots of different lights, I don't own a single maglite (anymore).

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Forest for the trees, folks. Mags are nice lights, but they are designed to run on alkaline cells for ordinary uses. They have a place in any true flashaholics collection. And they are great for loaning to others in an emergency for their simplicity, durability and easily replaced batteries.

Bonky

Banned
back on topic.. are mags still having problems with the LEDs heating up so much that their output is greatly reduced after about 10 minutes?

GPB

Enlightened
The new ones seem to handle the heat better, or maybe the newer LED's just produce less heat.... either way they are an improvement over the older models, and with the multi mode option you can run it on low if you don't need all the light.

texaslightguy

Newly Enlightened
Are there any runtime graphs available comparing the older Maglite Luxeons with the newer Rebels. I'm interested in both the 2D and 3D models. Maybe throw in a Malkoff just for comparison. I've been looking for a while but either I'm looking in the wrong place or they're just not being run like they were in the "old days".

Thanks
Hang in there for a little bit.

I was informed yesterday than ANSI has gotten in the game and they are this week finalizing their standards on flashlights. FINALLY!

So now there will be ONE standard to report to that can't be cheated.

I guess people can still lie but if they want to be truthful and reference the ANSI Standards, specs will need to be ANSI Compliant, which will most likely mean 3rd party lab testing etc.

I would assume that will mean both output and expected run times.