McLux Questions

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am looking at a cutaway illustration of a McLux Head. This illustration Leaves me with some questions. I see where the Emiter goes in. Is this a drop in sandwich? Or dose the board go in where the contact assembly is.

If I understand correctly. The McLux is completly user upgradable in the fact that you can change the Led, board, or sandwich.

It appears that this is a fully modular light, you make it what you want it to be by swapping parts?

Lets see if I understand, If you want it to be a easy to carry belt item, you but in the right modual for your tradeoff in brightness and run time. If you want a blazing monster, you can swap out the The Sandwich for a more intense one and add a 2 or 3 123 body???

I understand heads and such can be changed....was just wondering if the circuit and Led was user changable.

From what I see there are going to be multiple body options for this light.

yclo

Flashaholic*
It's only been 1 hour and 15 minutes....

I'll see what I can do, the McLux does not use a typical sandwich type drop in. The board goes in where the contact assembly is, then wires are fed through holes in the head onto the otherside where the emitter is *stuck* onto the head.

Simply put, there is no easy way of swapping out boards/leds. It is possible but will definitly be harder to to than just changing the head.

Hope that makes sense.

-YC

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
that helps alot....but was wondering, when boards get better and led's improve, sand it be upgraded by the novice

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
The emitter goes in by itself, and sits directly on the bulkhead part of the head. Since this bulkhead is an integral part of the whole head (one machined part), it allows for the best possible heatsinking.
The Badboy or similar circuit board driver goes in the cavity on the other side of the bulkhead, with the connecting wires to the emitter passing through small holes in the bulkead. The contact assembly fits over this cavity, acting like a cover.

To be specific, the Babdoy board used in the McLux is *not* a sandwich configuration - it is just the driver board part. The board which the emitter is mounted on in a sandwich is not there.

In the TK units, the emitter is epoxied and potted in, as is the Badboy - since they were intended as complete, operational 'turnkey' units. It is no doubt possible to remove the emitter and/or driver board, but not easily...

The DIY parts will allow complete customization. It is quite possible to build one using a 5W emitter and a 2 or 3 x 123 body.

Graham