LED Bulb for 3 D Maglite?

recDNA

Flashaholic
I'm a new member so I'm not sure this is the correct thread to post this question. If not, I apologize.

Anyway, I've always loved flashlights but I was amazed to find out so many others do too! I'm also surprised how expensive good LED flashlights are.

I've seen ads for LED's that can be used as replacement bulbs in my 3 D cell Maglite. I'd like the Maglite's ability to focus or widen its beam and I haven't seen that in flashlights designed for LED's.

Is there a good LED bulb that I can use in my Maglite? How many lumens may I expect? Why do so few flashlights designed for LED's use D cells anyway?

Thanks for your patience. I'm new to all this.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I guess I can't just plug in an LED...I need some kind of KIT? Is that right?

paintballdad

Enlightened
Hi there and :welcome:.
It all depends on what your looking for and how much you're willing to spend. LED conversions for the Mag range from $10 1watt LEDS which is roughly the same brightness of a incan Mag to about $120 for a Malkoff P7 drop in which requires a cut down reflector. The Malkoff is really bright at over 700 lumens compared to a stock incan Mag at about 20-30 lumens. I have a Malkoff 2-3 cell Mag drop in and a Terralux TLE-300 conversions and they brought new life to the otherwise dull incan Mag. You can check out this thread for more info.

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=193434

Vinniec5

Enlightened
There's alot of drop-ins avail from the guys here and alot of factory over-the-counter drop-ins avail. I think someone made a thread with a big list of whats avail. I have a load of mags and changed most of them to Terralux leds I'm happy with them. They aren't the brightest compared to the light cannons the guys here have but IMO are very good and plenty bright with good battery savings and most are under $25 bucks online

recDNA

Flashaholic
There's alot of drop-ins avail from the guys here and alot of factory over-the-counter drop-ins avail. I think someone made a thread with a big list of whats avail. I have a load of mags and changed most of them to Terralux leds I'm happy with them. They aren't the brightest compared to the light cannons the guys here have but IMO are very good and plenty bright with good battery savings and most are under $25 bucks online

All you have to do is plug in the led where the bulb used to go? No alterations needed?

BTW, I'd LOVE a light cannon! LOL

recDNA

Flashaholic
Hi there and :welcome:.
It all depends on what your looking for and how much you're willing to spend. LED conversions for the Mag range from $10 1watt LEDS which is roughly the same brightness of a incan Mag to about $120 for a Malkoff P7 drop in which requires a cut down reflector. The Malkoff is really bright at over 700 lumens compared to a stock incan Mag at about 20-30 lumens. I have a Malkoff 2-3 cell Mag drop in and a Terralux TLE-300 conversions and they brought new life to the otherwise dull incan Mag. You can check out this thread for more info.

Thanks! I'm looking for the very brightest bulb that I can plug in without any alterations to the flashlight. I'm all thumbs.

chewy78

Enlightened
I myself have acquired a malkoff 2-3 cell drop in which works nice in my 2d mag with a pair of accupower lsd d-cells.

paintballdad

Enlightened
Not too many choices in a really bright no mod drop in. You can check into the MagLED or Terralux TLE-6EXB for no mods LED conversion. The TLE-6EXB is the brighter of the two with a claimed 140 lumens, but the output quickly drops off as the LED heats up. Both drop ins lack a way to dissipate heat from the LED. Or you can go the Malkoff route and pick up a 2-3 cell drop in and a cut down reflector for an almost no mod conversion. It will run at the max output of 240 lumens for 6 hrs on 3 D cells and dropping off as the batteries get depleted.

DM51

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, recDNA.

I think as you are looking for a LED conversion for your Maglite, the thread will probably do better in the LED Flashlights section. I'll move it there for you.

drillbritz2ov

Newly Enlightened
hello regarding maglite led drop ins one of my fellow cpf'ers mentioned kaidomains $20 drop in as the most bang for the money you lose the focus function as you have to remove the cam off the back reflector but you get a nice white beam at about 200 lumens just ordered one for my 2d maglite its a steal . Cliff

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Too much for me. Most talk about mods.

Can you pick a bright bulb that requires no mod?
The mods section only starts after "LED mods" which isn't as long as the drop-ins section. The few that do requite any simple modding at all (like trimming the cam for a Malkoff drop-in) are really really simple, and can also be skipped if you buy a precut reflector or a replacement one without a cam.

Here are the drop-ins that work with 3 cells from that thread (and that I'm sure are selling):

• TerraLux TLE-6EXB, 2-3 Cell Maglite.
    • I've heard of may different opinions with this one too, some say dim, some say bright, but my guess is that overall you shouldn't be too disappointed by the drop-in. Heatsinking is also lacking
    • Sellers: Batteryjunction(coupon code "CPF2006" for 5% off)
  • Maglite's own drop-ins, separate 2, 3, and 4 cell versions.
    • Good for something that you can buy at a store, but there are brighter options out there. Output drops once the module heats up to prevent overheating.
    • There might be newer Rebel versions of the drop-in. Should be brighter then the Luxeon III versions. Some of the MagLEDs with the drop-ins installed have them.
    • Look in some local stores, they should have some
    • Seoul Mod.
    • Hurricane mod, coupled with the Seoul mod should give a decent output long running light.
    • Newbie's MagLED review, lots of info.
  • Malkoff devices 2-3D drop-in.
    • Regarded by most as one of the best maglite drop-ins available. Good heatsinking but expensive and hard to get.
    • Great throw.
    • Good runtime.
    • *Maglite must have a "D" infront of serial number.
    • Coupon is "CPF"
  • KD's Cree drop-in.
:welcome:

Grubrunner

Newly Enlightened
I own two 3D, two 2D's and three two C's and they all have the Terralux drop-ins.

Couldn't be happier.

recDNA

Flashaholic
hello regarding maglite led drop ins one of my fellow cpf'ers mentioned kaidomains $20 drop in as the most bang for the money you lose the focus function as you have to remove the cam off the back reflector but you get a nice white beam at about 200 lumens just ordered one for my 2d maglite its a steal . Cliff

The only reason I want to convert my Maglite is to KEEP the focus function.

Still...please let me know how you make out with it.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I myself have acquired a malkoff 2-3 cell drop in which works nice in my 2d mag with a pair of accupower lsd d-cells.

Do you still have the focus function? If so can you explain the steps of the mod. Wiring,soldering, or sanding are beyond my ability and inclination.

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
The focus function doesn't go away with most mods, it just changes from a "fast cam focus" to a slower "threaded" focus.

The problem with the fast cam focus is that it prevents good LED heatsinking. LEDs generate a lot of heat that must be conducted to the outer tube. But the fast focus cam mechanism puts layers of plastic tubes between the bulb area and the outer tube and leaves no good heat path.

LEDs that live in the PR bulb area and leave the fast cam in place are going to be on the lower end of the brightness and efficiency scale. This includes LED replacement bulbs from M@g instruments and others. They work but are on the low end of the performance and efficiency scale.

Going to a brighter more efficient upgrade such as the Malkoff or the KaiDomain kits adds a chunk of aluminum that reaches from the LED out to the body tube and conducts heat efficiently away from the LED. This is not compatible with the cam (occupies the same space), so the cam tube is either cut off the reflector, or a new reflector is used that does not have one. Incidentally, a newer reflector with a surface texture (such as Light Orange Peel) will improve the beam's appearance and even out imperfections, but will reduce hotspot intensity slightly.

When using one of these more efficient heatsinked LEDs the focus is still available, but it takes a few turns of the head to move the reflector on the threads instead of moving in a quarter turn. I find that once focus is optimized it is rarely useful to adjust it, but your mileage may vary.

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you still have the focus function? If so can you explain the steps of the mod. Wiring,soldering, or sanding are beyond my ability and inclination.

Installation instructions for the Malkoff dropins is on his website. I don't recall any sanding. A small screwdriver is required, and a pre-cut reflector is available, otherwise cutting the plastic tube from the reflector is required.

http://www.malkoffdevices.com/