Can you suggest a BRIGHT LED with a Focusing Beam?

recDNA

Flashaholic
Can U Suggest a BRIGHT LED with a Focusing Beam?

I love the brightness of an LED (greater than 200 lumens) but I miss the focusing function of my Maglite.

If it is rechargeable and can be left on the charger when not in use (without damage due to overcharging) you've found the ideal LED for me!

recDNA

Flashaholic
Re: Can U Suggest a BRIGHT LED w a Focusing Beam?

Come on guys ...help out a newbie!

hivoltage

Enlightened

I think a Jetbeam Raptor does that......I will know soon because I have one in the mail to me!!!!!

recDNA

Flashaholic

I think a Jetbeam Raptor does that......I will know soon because I have one in the mail to me!!!!!

Thanks!

Please let me know how you like it!

recDNA

Flashaholic

The Coast P7 and X7 sound good too.

Any 411 on them

Gary123

Enlightened

There are pros and cons on focusing lights as a jack of all trades is rarely as good as a design specific light.

That said, you might look into the Coast Led Lenser P7. High low, decent flood to pretty a good spot. Too big for a pants pocket, but should fit in a coat pocket OK. Fat handle due to 4 x AAA sitting side by side.

A little clunky but kind of a cool light. A little bit on the fat side.

recDNA

Flashaholic

There are pros and cons on focusing lights as a jack of all trades is rarely as good as a design specific light.

That said, you might look into the Coast Led Lenser P7. High low, decent flood to pretty a good spot. Too big for a pants pocket, but should fit in a coat pocket OK. Fat handle due to 4 x AAA sitting side by side.

The X7 sounds REALLY cool. I wonder if anybody here has one. P7 more my price range but I'd really love a light cannon that doesn't set things on fire. Imagine 1000 lumens?

recDNA

Flashaholic

With the extender and the lithium rechargeable battery this sounds great. I can't find the extender anyplace.

Also, this doesn't focus does it?

recDNA

Flashaholic

I just bought a Fenix LD01 to carry around on my keychain. I really don't need to put a medium sized flashlight in my pocket. Usually I just use it
until I put it away.

I do have a nice little Miraclebeam 3 watt LED that is small enough to carry around in my pocket and it's pretty bright for very short $$$. Manufacturer claims over 75 lumens. Only high setting and no focus but cheap and easy.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast

Neither of these have chargers, but the fenix e20 and the mg pli from shiningbeam(currently out of stock but should be back soon) both have focusing beams

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Coast Led Lensers are really great. All can use rechargeables so sort of fit your criteria.

The P5 is 1AA and delightful to use - the focus makes it the hottest spot of all my single AA lights.

The P7 is very powerful and has low and high options - a seriously good thrower, I mean very good - out throws my Fenix TK11 on high ( my previous non modded best thrower ).

The P14 is my next to purchase light even though it is on the large side ( Appx the size of a 2D Maglite ) but I'm very fond of AA powered lights and this one has had some good reviews here and there.

The P17 is D cell powered and I suppose would be Ideal for keeping in the car - but I have yet to handle one.

Good luck in your search for focus and light.

arcel1t

Newly Enlightened

One of my first real flashlight's where the Led lenser T7 (I think its pretty much the same as P7)

I loved it and was realy impressed until the tail button broke, and I have not been able to find a new one. I doubt it will out throw the TK11 r2 but if you say so I have to compare the two tonight.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
AFIAK none of the suggested lights are above 200 Lumens... I cant think of any that are a legit 200+ with focus optic and recharge cradle.

IMHO your best bet would be to use a 6P/C2 with a malkoff M30 and add a SF flip-diffuser. that will allow you to switch from pure diffused flood to beam... while still remaining in the 200-225L range. You don't get a charge cradle, but 17670 cells can be recharged.

Last edited:

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast

Most models specifically forbid the use of rechargeables.

Cheers Marduke, good point, they do specifically say not to use any, but I have used rechargeables - NiMh and also Hybrids like Hybrio and Eneloop in AA and AAA based Led Lensers for as long as I have had them - I have had many Led lensers of various varieties over the years since they first came out - Currently P7, P5, Hocus Focus and P3. All have had many sets of rechargeables through them for all types of uses short intermittant runtime and long extended burns; night lights for the bathroom, geocaching, long night walks etc. Not just when the batts are fully charged, but also when they are depleted.

I have never noticed any type of malfunction in any of the Led lensers I own due to using this type of cell. I'm not saying the manufacturers are fibbing about this, why on Earth would they? But if there is a negative side to using these batteries then either I'm missing it, or it is not readily apparent without multimeters and technical savvy. Every Led Lenser I have used in this way still functions well.

They aren't my out and out favourite lights by a long chalk, but they are workmanlike, impressive and reliable.

I don't believe I'm just lucky, although that is almost certainly so, given that I have a great place like CPF to voice my opinions and listen to others - not to mention read about new lights!!

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast

The LensLight Mini is very bright and throws farther than any other single cell light I have. https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/221668

The lensLight Mini is a custom that after playing with it in person this past weekend I desperately want one, but not because it throws. :thumbsdow

IMHO, the LensLight Mini is the perfect EDC light. It is small and can be used for flood light: more importantly it can also be put on zoom for longer range. The craftmenship is 2nd to none.:twothumbs

Having said that it throws just as far and perhaps not as intense as the Zoom DX $13 dollar light. I compared it side by side with the owner and Kramer5150 and the Lenslight was possibly the least throwy light of the bunch listed below:

All this lights below out threw the LensLight!!!
1. A dereelight R2 w/ 22mm DX aspheric
2. A Zoom DX light 18650 = In MrGman's sphere this Light w/ a topped off IMR 18650 made 180 Lumens out the front, but half the lumens when focused.
3. A R2 1D Mag w/ KD aspheric lens= This one did 180 plus out the front, but w/ Aspheric it did 126 out the front...
4. A P4 2D Mag w/AR coated aspheric lens = This one with the aspheric on it did 80ish lumens. Not even 100 Out the front!!!

So, If you use the zoom feature you will loose lumens, but the throw is drastically improved.

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can U Suggest a BRIGHT LED with a Focusing Beam?

I love the brightness of an LED (greater than 200 lumens) but I miss the focusing function of my Maglite.

If it is rechargeable and can be left on the charger when not in use (without damage due to overcharging) you've found the ideal LED for me!

The longest thrower in the world the DEFT.

MrGman said it did 200 out the front Lumens in W.B.P's sphere which is now calibrated, before calibration it was giving more genorous readings.:whistle: This light is on my to purchase Christmas list. Now I have to be a good boy to convince my other half.

recDNA

Flashaholic
The longest thrower in the world the DEFT.

MrGman said it did 200 out the front Lumens in W.B.P's sphere which is now calibrated, before calibration it was giving more genorous readings.:whistle: This light is on my to purchase Christmas list. Now I have to be a good boy to convince my other half.

Where would one purchase a DEFT?

recDNA

Flashaholic

The lensLight Mini is a custom that after playing with it in person this past weekend I desperately want one, but not because it throws. :thumbsdow

IMHO, the LensLight Mini is the perfect EDC light. It is small and can be used for flood light: more importantly it can also be put on zoom for longer range. The craftmenship is 2nd to none.:twothumbs

Having said that it throws just as far and perhaps not as intense as the Zoom DX $13 dollar light. I compared it side by side with the owner and Kramer5150 and the Lenslight was possibly the least throwy light of the bunch listed below:

All this lights below out threw the LensLight!!!
1. A dereelight R2 w/ 22mm DX aspheric
2. A Zoom DX light 18650 = In MrGman's sphere this Light w/ a topped off IMR 18650 made 180 Lumens out the front, but half the lumens when focused.
3. A R2 1D Mag w/ KD aspheric lens= This one did 180 plus out the front, but w/ Aspheric it did 126 out the front...
4. A P4 2D Mag w/AR coated aspheric lens = This one with the aspheric on it did 80ish lumens. Not even 100 Out the front!!!

So, If you use the zoom feature you will loose lumens, but the throw is drastically improved.

I can't find the Zoom DX or the DEFT?

Latest posts