Met one of Mag Instruments' Sales Managers Today

kavvika

Enlightened
I work at Lowe's, and noticed one customer had in his wallet a business card with a Maglite embossed on it when he went to pay. I asked him if he worked for Maglite, which he did. When I began asking about the new LED C-cell lights, he realized I was no regular unenlightened cashier. He told me all about the new 7-mode C LED's, when they would be released, and about their new "Mag Beam Alignment System", where, from my understanding, the user can slide the head to center and focus the LED. We didn't talk for more than two minutes, so he didn't have the chance to fully explain the system before the next customer came to the register. He mentioned as he was leaving about a new Mag-Charger, based on the technology from the 7-mode C-cell light (focusing, heatsink, and driver is my guess) and them handed me his business card. Turns out he is Sales Manager of National Accounts, based in Hayward, Wisconsin. Wonder what he was going all the way over in the suburbs of Chicago? He then surprised me a few minutes later when he returned with a brochure for the new multi-mode AA, new D cell, and forthcoming ML100 (7-mode C-cell) lights. The ML100 will come in 2C and 3C configurations and in 5 colors: black, red, silver, blue, grey (pewter?). They look completely redesigned, as opposed to the D-cell LED's which use the incandescent body and head. I was trying to remember everything he told me, but am fairly confident Maglite is planning for a September release of the ML100 series of lights. Any interest in a scan of the brochure?

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is cool when somethig like that happens. I would like to see what the new C lights look like. Go ahead and post a scan.

GPB

Enlightened
YES !!! It would be great if you could scan the brochure.....I've been dying to see some info on the new Mags. I even emailed Mag to ask why there hasn't been any kind of promotion and was told that they are still gearing up their production and don't want demand to get ahead of supply. Once production gives the green light to marketing, we should be hearing more about them.

kavvika

Enlightened
56k/Small monitor warning!

This is the cover and one of the inside pages, which I found the most interesting. I'll have the rest up when my dad is done using the scanner.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, I love when stuff like this happens. That's a damn nice find, and good for you on capitalizing on your chance to chat!

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well they don't seem like too much of a departure from traditional maglite design, but they are slightly different. I'm not really sure if I like the longer head; it makes the light seem sort of unnatural.

kavvika

Enlightened
Now that you mention it, I think your right. At first I was thinking the head was narrower which would've meant a new bezel. However, the tailcap is definately redesigned, most likely to get rid of the spare bulb compartment.

Wish I asked him if he has heard of or is a member of CPF, but I let him do the talking as I was more interested in the new products.

I still can't figure out exactly what the new beam alignment system is and how it works. The way he described it, it appeared to be different the traditional way of focusing. But maybe this is what they're calling the new focusing system that replaces their incandescent and first-generation LED quick focus system that used a cam.

Edit: After a third look, I really do believe the head is narrower than before, not lengthened.

Last edited:

sims2k

Enlightened
Nice catch Kavvika...btw...since you have his business card...does he have an email address where you can ask him more questions about upcoming maglites ?

kavvika

Enlightened
The brochure shows both sizes. The packaged one is the 3C model, the angled 2C has "2C model shown" written under the body.

His business card does have an e-mail address and I'll most likely send him one tomorrow. I'm not sure if I should be posting it online, as I don't know how much information it is ethical to share, but does anyone have any questions I should make sure to ask him?

Last edited:

USM0083

Enlightened
The brochure shows both sizes. The packaged one is the 3C model, the angled 2C has "2C mode shown" witten under the body.

His business card does have an e-mail address and I'll most likely send him one tomorrow. I'm not sure if I should be posting it online, as I don't know how much information it is ethical to share, but does anyone have any questions I should make sure to ask him?

Personally, I would refrain from posting his email address.

ANDREAS FERRARI

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really do believe the head is narrower than before, not lengthened.

This new 2C is 5mm longer than an original 2C-I'm guessing the head is deeper for better throw.On the package there is a spot that says 'distance' but yards are TBA.

does anyone have any questions I should make sure to ask him?

Ask which LED is going to be used!

Personally, I would refrain from posting his email address.

For-the-love-of-God don't post that poor man's email address.:poke:

Nice find kavvika-CPF has spies everywhere.:twothumbs

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd ask him if they have noticed that a lot of the multi-mode gizmo light trend has died amoung the early adopters, and if they have considered one with less modes, or an interface that removes them from the main selection sequence.

A lot of people that buy MAG want a simple dependable flashlight, this multi-mode mania seems a little misplaced, at least in it's current design as on the multimode AA, and the looks of it this one as well.

Latest posts