Pros/Cons of rechargeables?

Billmanweh

Newly Enlightened
I'm still somewhat of a flashlight newbie. I have my Surefire Z3 and E2, and then a couple of Maglights.

But I'm thinking of picking up a few new ones now. An ARC AAA for the keychain, and then a few flashlights for the nightstand, car, and kitchen.

I'm debating between more lithium powered lights like my Surefires, or a couple of rechargeables. What are generally considered to be the pros and cons of each?

-Bill

Saaby

Flashaholic
Well lets throw the pros and cons out the window and look at your situations...

Nightstand: Occasional use light correct? I'd say lithium light you can stash and use when your Arc isn't bright enough--you DO have a way to take it off your keys right? Brinkmann LX should be plenty bright and cheap.

Car: Kitchen: I think a rechargable might be good here. In the kitchen for the family general grab light if you will, and in the car always plugged in ready to go at a moments notice.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I have generally stayed away from rechargable stuff except our telephones including my Nokia.

The flashlight I carry all the time (currently Solitaire) has an alkaline in it (lithium might be better but I'm CHEAP!) so that it will light up when I require it to. (Like on my back a couple hundred feet from my truck).

All the dozens of other lights around my house are similarly equipped for similar reasons (although I will never be farther than several steps from another).

I look at chargers and the good batteries every time I'm in the store, but just can't justify the cost (unless the could do the Lithiums the LX eats).

Did I say I'm cheap?

Saaby

Flashaholic
icon13.gif
The flashlight I carry all the time (currently Solitaire)
shocked.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Yeah yeah I know...

But did I say I'm CHEAP!!!!

I have another quirk. Be it knife, light or damn near anything, I would like to touch it, feel it, see it work and then pay CASH for it. Worst case money order.

This is because some months ago I shattered a damn card buying online. Next thing I knew the balance was through the roof. So I guess you can see where I'm coming from?

If I find an ARCaaa here in town, and like it in person, I will then have one in my pocket. I saw an Inova X5 at the gunshow, and didn't much care for the way it looks. Saw no ARCs or anything else usually praised on this board.

The Solitaire is in my pocket at this time for two reasons. I had one before and knew what to expect (and had never even HEARD of ARC or SF), and it is available locally in many different colors (mine is black) for far less than ten bucks.

OH, one more reason. It cannot be destroyed in my pocket or in use. My old one died because it got lost, and when found had a WAY stuck battery.

So pick on me all you'd like for carrying a Solitaire, but you really should walk a mile in my shoes first!

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I stay away from re-chargables when possible. I prefer battery operated lights. I can always get cells when I need them, as opposed to waiting hours and hours for a light to recharge.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I'm afraid I can't help you Bill but I can toss out a question or two that I have about rechargables.I have been considering the SureFire KR2 rechargable conversion kit for my 3P, now a 6P thanks to the A19 adapter. Approximately how many charges can I get out of one B65 battery, and how long will it stay charged when unused? All I see on their site is 40 minute runtime @ 50 lumens.

Thanks,

Jim

rlhess

Enlightened
I have rechargeable power failure lights (tiny NiCd ones) around my house, but all but two of my other lights are alkaline or lithium powered.

SureFire makes a spares carrier (in several flavors depending on your LA) that carries six 123 cells and one spare LA. Great to have around.

Since I live in Earthquake Country and especially since what happened a year ago tomorrow, I keep a LARGE supply of alkalines and lithiums on hand.

I'm tending to have fewer lights with batteries actually IN them--and lights with smaller/cheaper batteries as well. I'm moving from the 2D cell incandescent clunker everywhere to just the power fail lights in a few rooms and then some better lights.

A good all-around light is the Brinkmann LX. I have that and a 4AA double barrel in the kitchen. The other main light stashing points are in my sig.

The rechargeables are the high-power spotlights--one in the home office and one in the car.

Last night as I wandered out of the house to watch the ridgeline glow deep red I grabbed the UKE D8 which was fine, but when the deer were jumping all over the place, the extra reach of the UKE SL6 might have been nice.

Alkalines tend to run longer than rechargeables. Lithiums typically run the same time--but those are design tradeoffs.

Lithiums do better at temperature extremes and maintain a flatter output.

There are few energy sources as reliable, inexpensive, as long lasting, or as full of energy as the D cell. The C cell has about half the capacity.

If I were an LEO who used his flashlight every night, I'd consider a small rechargeable on my belt...especially if I had a limited batter allowance from the department.

Cheers,

Richard

Billmanweh

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the ideas guys...

Rechargeables for the kitchen and maybe the office, where they can just stay plugged in most of the time. Maybe UltraStingers?

Then a couple of inexpensive lithium powered lights for general use, including one to stick in the glovebox. Brinkmann LXs if I can find them. Or Surefire G2s.

And an ARC AAA for the keychain.

I'm also thinking about a really bright lantern type light for the car, one that has an articulating head. Suggestions?

This is getting fun...

grin.gif

rlhess

Enlightened
If I REALLY want to look for something from the car, I have the Vector 137CO a 12V rechargeable spotlight which will run from the car cord or built in battery.

If I want to look less, I have the Brinkmann LX (Crawford Tool has these on mail order).

I have the articulating head 2D Ray-O-Vac Swivel Light, but it's really not that useful. In fact, I may retire these--they just sit there wasting batteries for three years and then I throw out the batteries and replace them. My wife has a 2D Energizer flashlight and an LX in her car...plus she has a minimag with nexstar lamp and an Arc AAA LE as EDC. Yes, I could cycle the D cells through something, but I don't have anything to cycle them through! Everything that uses D cells is emergency use only -- or it's running off AC. I LIKE D cells for emergencies, however, because of their huge run time.

What is more useful is a headlamp and my Aurora just got demoted to that as my reading-in-bed need was not met due to the little flicker. Otherwise, it's a great light for the purpose. The SL Septor is what I'm using now for reading in bed. Either would be useful and it puts light where you're looking...underneath, under the hood, etc.

Cheers,

Richard

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rechargeables; I've been thinking you meant rechargeable batteries...not necessary flashlights with built-in rechargeable batteries.

NiMH Rechargeable batteries:

Cons:
- Initial cost higher + cost of charger
- Higher self-discharge rate (poor shelf life)
- Lower voltage (dimmer in some lights)

Pros:
- Deliver more amps quickly (potentially brighter in the right light)
- AA or AAA size means you can substitute non-rechargeables if you wish
- With right charger, always have FRESH batteries
- Recharge 500-1000 times (hugely less expensive)

For a "steady diet" type flashlight usage (around the home or property where access to a charger is no problem), the NiMH seems to me to be the ideal battery source. Use it for an hour or so...charge it back up - almost no cost for batteries - FRESH the next time you need them.

Charger - get the Ray-O-Vac 1 hr charger. Always can have FRESH batteries in an hour. It will also charge 1,2,3 or 4 at a time (many chargers require sets of two). Plus, these batteries can be used to power a whole variety of other devices with really cheap (and did I mention ALWAYS FRESH) batteries...radios, portable TV, etc.

If you leave your batteries in the charger, it will maintain them at peak power. So... when you need them, they are fully powered up.

Next is the choice of a light...

Tec 40 on NiMH w/KPR103 bulb is really bright.
MiniMag w/Opalec LED gives constant level of brightness from NiMH (or any other AA)

In terms of Pros & Cons...

Emergency light away from home...use lithium (great shelf life, available in AA)
Extended camping/hiking away from power...use alkalines (cheaper than lithium)

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
Add one vote against "rechargeable flashlights". While any light can fail, I have one that I paid WELL OVER $100.00 for, plus accessories. (It runs about five minutes on a charge - despite having replacement batteries from the factory.) Get a "regular" flashlight, and then buy the rechargeable BATTERIES as mentioned by ikendo.

rlhess

Enlightened
Stainless,

I agree with you if your analysis indicates the need for rechargeables, but for many flashlights around MY house, the shelf life is a key feature of alkalines and especially lithiums.

Cheers,

Richard