Battery for the Fenix L1D?

polkiuj

Enlightened
AA Lithium

14500 Li-ion. Can be used, not recommended. Use common sense while using. Basically, this head uses a boost only driver. It will boost the battery voltage to match the forward voltage of the LED (typically 3.3-3.7V, max of 3.9V). The Li-ion will start at about 4.2V and will sort of direct drive the LED. I would even say overdrive it slightly. It gets very hot very fast, so beware of burning the LED or the driver up.

I would suggest using NiMH as it regulates well with this battery, and save higher output for other lights.

This is what Fenix has to say about it.

Hello

Thank you very much for using Fenix light.

yes, the LD10's head can be used in L1D, L2D, LD20, P2D, PD20's body+tail, so you can buy one of them to increase your light.

Actually, we don't suggest you use 3.6/3.7 v battery in the LD10, though some customers has used, and you can use 1.5v or 3.0v battery in this model, you can buy the brand battery, such as the Sony, Sanyo, and so on.

Any more question, feel free to contact.

Best regards!

Sincerely Joyce
Fenix Service Team

Calina

Enlightened
Thank you for the answer but maybe I should have been more specific.

I'm still puzzled! The CR123 are available in 3.0 and 3.7 volt configuration; why is not possible to get the same in a 14500 battery or other format for that matter?

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Thank you for the answer but maybe I should have been more specific.

I'm still puzzled! The CR123 are available in 3.0 and 3.7 volt configuration; why is not possible to get the same in a 1450 battery or other format for that matter?

There are. Li-Ion is available is most any size you can imagine. If you want a lower voltage rechargable option, LiFePO4's are also available in a variety of sizes.

Most of the 3v cells in any size other than CR123 are designed for low current draw, and are not suitable for high current applications. Cost and interoperability are two more reasons they are not common.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I don't know about 3.0v 14500s but I do know using the head on a P2 body with a primary gets all the brightness ans still quite decent runtime.

I got an L2 body for my second P2D (runs to get the first P2D for a comparison....)

Seems that two fresh NimH will run the head in turbo at the same output level as a 123 primary.

My two heads are slightly different and the first one is just a WEE bit brighter and whiter.

Anyhow as a P2D it takes up very little real estate on my belt and does darn near anything I ever need a light for.

Calina

Enlightened
There are. Li-Ion is available is most any size you can imagine. If you want a lower voltage rechargable option, LiFePO4's are also available in a variety of sizes.

Most of the 3v cells in any size other than CR123 are designed for low current draw, and are not suitable for high current applications. Cost and interoperability are two more reasons they are not common.

I've searched for a 14500 LiFePO4 battery with no luck. Do you have a link?

Last edited: