surefire fans

iyn

Newly Enlightened
any of you surefire owners tried the P60 Style Cree R2 LED Drop In?
I got one in my G2 surefire. The bezel does not screw in all the way but it works. It looks just as bright as the surefire k5. The k5 has a cleaner beam but it is bigger and cost more than the P60 Style Cree R2 LED Drop In. both are brighter than the sure led drop in. has anyone compared K5 or the P60 Style Cree R2 LED Drop In led upgrades?

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh yes... my most used Surefires have lamp heads/assemblies/bezels by TLS (E-series) and Malkoff M60/M30/P7, Dereelight MC-E, and Solarforce R2 5-mode (6P/3P series). The Solarforce R2 5-mode single voltage 3.7 lamp is a goodie. Of my Surefire lights, these customized Surefires of mine get the most use from me, although I do like my stock E1B and my L1 (powered with an RCR123.) Generally speaking, though, more recently, my Surefire lights take a back seat to lights like LF3XT, D10, K-106, L-mini II, LD01, and Solarforce L2. There are some really great lights out there now by various Chinese manufacturers.

Last edited:

jake25

Enlightened
any of you surefire owners tried the P60 Style Cree R2 LED Drop In?
I got one in my G2 surefire. The bezel does not screw in all the way but it works. It looks just as bright as the surefire k5. The k5 has a cleaner beam but it is bigger and cost more than the P60 Style Cree R2 LED Drop In. both are brighter than the sure led drop in. has anyone compared K5 or the P60 Style Cree R2 LED Drop In led upgrades?
If it has this outer ring that wraps around the dropin, not the one directly connected to the dropin, try taking that off?

Just a suggestion.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
That's one of the many risks you face when you try an aftermarket solution. Welcome to the club.

+1

I hate it when companies advertise "Surefire compatible," and then you find out that it's a line of B.S. :thumbsdow

Oh sure, the drop-in fits inside a C-series SF bezel. But sometimes won't even screw on halfway down the barrel. That's not compatible! Not in my book, and I'd suspect; not in most folks' books.

My handmade Malkoff M60 leaves just a hair's gap between the bezel and barrel of my 6P. Very barely noticeable.

iyn

Newly Enlightened
After reading your posting I opened my g2 flashlight to see if i could slip on an o- ring to cover the gap. I looked at the P60 Style Cree R2 LED Drop In and noticed it has 2 springs, an outer spring and a small one around the battery contact. i removed the outer one and screwed back in and it fits perfectly. Do I need the outer spring? my sure fire led has 2 springs as well?

jake25

Enlightened
After reading your posting I opened my g2 flashlight to see if i could slip on an o- ring to cover the gap. I looked at the P60 Style Cree R2 LED Drop In and noticed it has 2 springs, an outer spring and a small one around the battery contact. i removed the outer one and screwed back in and it fits perfectly. Do I need the outer spring? my sure fire led has 2 springs as well?
The outer spring is just an insurance for contact in case some hosts aren't that great.

Glad you got your problem solved. I think this should be a reminder to try to solve the problem before you bash guys:sssh:

The P60L was designed specifically for your Surefire so it should be fine.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
... I think this should be a reminder to try to solve the problem before you bash guys:sssh:

Sometimes when you remove the outer spring, it still doesn't help. Depends on which aftermarket drop-in you use.

iyn

Newly Enlightened
thanks jake25.
I just got into flashlights. a lot to learn. this forum has been a great help.