any single AAA lights using P7 or MC-E?

linterno

Enlightened
I guess is does not make sense. I won't last more than 5-10 minutes. additionally, such an small flashlight won't be able to handle the heat generated by the LED, unless you want to under drive it.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although I don't think it is a particularly good idea, there is a cpf member who has done this using an Li-ion aaa. I'll post the tread if I can dig it up. Again I am not endorsing this. In my opinion the risks far outweigh any gains that can be had. The cell may not actually even be providing (and by my experience it likely is not) the intended current. And is also putting the user at risk. Overall I would say that there are very few, likely no advantages to pushing cells beyond their capacity.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/212132
Here's the link, again, as far as I'm concerned this is just to show that it has been done. I, like many others, do not think this is a good idea, and would not recommend that you do this.

Last edited:

Bronco

Enlightened
I'm not saying it hasn't been done, but I think most would agree that the relatively low capacity of a single AAA makes it a fairly poor choice for powering a multi-die emitter. As I understand it, it's a bit like asking are if there are any good, easily concealable pocket derringers chambered in .50 BMG. :)

This isn't to say that there's not someone out there who could do it for you, just that you might want think a bit more about the practicality of such a project.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey...I want to see it done! Say maybe 110 lumen off a regular AAA...and maybe 180 lumen off a LI-ion AAA. :rolleyes:

Actually, I understand it might be tough to do. :sigh:

Marduke

Flashaholic
There is no real point when driven at normal 1xAAA levels. The efficiency boost is extremely negligible. MC-E's are not magicially brighter through some miracle.

GTSECC

Newly Enlightened
There is no real point when driven at normal 1xAAA levels. The efficiency boost is extremely negligible. MC-E's are not magicially brighter through some miracle.

Efficiency is what I was hoping for. I don't have a good feel for the numbers, but I was wondering if you can get 60 lumens for 45 mins with a Q5, then maybe you could get 60 lumens for an hour with a P7 or MCE. I was thinking they would be 30percent more efficient.

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
To reap the advantages from a P7 or MCE you first need a AAA light that could push a R2 LED to at least 240 Lumens, since only then would you have enough power to move on to the next level, and since no such light exist, there is no point for a P7 or MCE AAA light. The most you can pull out of a Li-ion AAA battery is around 2.5 watts running at 2C, though in this case NiCad AAA offer more power at is 3.84 max watts running at 10C.

As I understand it, it's a bit like asking are if there are any good, easily concealable pocket derringers chambered in .50 BMG. :) This isn't to say that there's not someone out there who could do it for you.

OT… but American Derringer sells a .45-70 Gov't pistol, I once did the recoil calculation for this gun and it had more recoil then a 700 Nitro Express Elephant gun, 4-Bore, or any other firearm I could find at 180 foot pounds of recoil:devil::devil::eek::faint:!!! "12 gage shoot gun 12 foot pounds of recoil:ohgeez:"

GTSECC

Newly Enlightened
To reap the advantages from a P7 or MCE you first need a AAA light that could push a R2 LED to at least 240 Lumens, since only then would you have enough power to move on to the next level, and since no such light exist, there is no point for a P7 or MCE AAA light. [/QUOTE]
You mean there is no efficiency benefit under driven?
Let's say we hold light ouput to the same number, say 60 lumens.
Then all the LEDs, R2, MCE, and P7 all run at the same efficiency?

Marduke

Flashaholic
There is a VERY small boost, but at 1xAAA levels it's not worth the extra $30 cost. The droop is not high in that range.

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
Here is an example of one called the Noisy Cricket, with a picture in post 63 and more info in post 66.

I have actually played with this light, and it really is like a miniature mule. If you looking for any kind of a spot in your beam then you need a larger reflector for use with these 4 die emitters. Without effective optics, the P7 has limited use since at the modest drive levels attainable with one AAA battery you can't get high enough lux to allow you to see well very far at all.

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
To reap the advantages from a P7 or MCE you first need a AAA light that could push a R2 LED to at least 240 Lumens, since only then would you have enough power to move on to the next level, and since no such light exist, there is no point for a P7 or MCE AAA light.

You mean there is no efficiency benefit under driven?
Let's say we hold light ouput to the same number, say 60 lumens.
Then all the LEDs, R2, MCE, and P7 all run at the same efficiency?

Well I'm not sure but quad die LEDs use 4 other dies and if these dies "individually" them selves were more efficient then the R2 then they would be the next up LED in efficiency "not the R2" unless you mean by driving the LEDs at a lower power to be more efficient "4 LEDs dividing the current instead of one" the gain would be so insurmountable that things like resistance in the switch or threads will easily show more of an impact.

Last edited:

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
On another note what is the most power we could ever get out of a AAA light:thinking:, say a IMR AAA battery would have a rating of 200mah and if it had a max drain of 10C you could get 7.2 watts out of it, what is that like 350 Lumens:D from a P7? If 14 watts is the full 700 lumens?.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
On another note what is the most power we could ever get out of a AAA light:thinking:, say a IMR AAA battery would have a rating of 200mah and if it had a max drain of 10C you could get 7.2 watts out of it, what is that like 350 Lumens:D from a P7? If 14 watts is the full 700 lumens?.
Actually, by looking at the graphs, there is a chance at 300+ lumen from the LED with the battery freshly charged and just connected to the LED. After that the battery sags a good amount in voltage to below the voltage at 2 amp input. How much I don't know.

Corvette6769

Newly Enlightened
Central Illinois USA, In a van down by the river
Efficiency is what I was hoping for. I don't have a good feel for the numbers, but I was wondering if you can get 60 lumens for 45 mins with a Q5, then maybe you could get 60 lumens for an hour with a P7 or MCE. I was thinking they would be 30percent more efficient.
A more likely candidate for higher output and effecency seems to be the new 345-lumen Cree XLamp XP-G LED (at only 3.5mm x 3.5mm, the smaller XP-G is rated 139 lumens per watt at 350 mA and driven at 1 A, the XP-G produces 345 lumens, which is 37 percent brighter and 53 percent more efficient than the brightest XR-E LED)

GTSECC

Newly Enlightened
A more likely candidate for higher output and effecency seems to be the new 345-lumen Cree XLamp XP-G LED (at only 3.5mm x 3.5mm, the smaller XP-G is rated 139 lumens per watt at 350 mA and driven at 1 A, the XP-G produces 345 lumens, which is 37 percent brighter and 53 percent more efficient than the brightest XR-E LED)
Well dagum!
Hopefully, it won't long till someone here makes one.
Now, let me ask a dumb question:
Can you just directly drive that thing with an AAA battery, or do you need something to change the power/voltage, amperage, etc...?

Marduke

Flashaholic
Nearly ALL lights need something to adjust the voltage/current.

1xAAA can't direct drive anything other than a particularly low voltage red LED.

Illum

Flashaholic

XR-E 1AAA is about the best efficiency you can go...
MCE/P7 is too expensive to be driven at that low of a current

Latest posts