Husky 4W

racerx2oo3

Newly Enlightened
The Home Depot near me just reduced the price on the Husky 4W from $29, to $19.00. Is this a decent light for the price? I haven't seen any threads where anyone has successfully removed the head, does anyone know if it's possible. I seem to remember seeing some threads suggesting that the emitter is not heatsinked to the flash body.

Sean

Bronco

Enlightened
It sells for $25 at the HDs in my area, and IMHO, is a great deal at that price. I wouldn't rely on it in life and death situations, but I'm fortunate in that I rarely find myself in those circumstances any more. :)

Painful Chafe

Enlightened
It is big and heavy, but for $19 it is a really deal. It is a very decent thrower. Check it out, if you don't like it, bring it back.

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
But keep in mind, they make great gifts for the family!! Snag a few up at a cheaper price, and you've got Christmas and birthdays covered!

I sold mine to my Father in law....who used this cheap piece of junk rayovac that just sucked juice and barely gave out any light. For a non-flashaholic, 150 lumens concentrated in a tight beam is totally awesome to behold. :naughty:

racerx2oo3

Newly Enlightened
So I ended up picking one up. I figure for $19 you really can't go too wrong. I'm planning to use this guy as a beater light for camping etc. It definitely seems to be all throw for the most part, with a noticeable donut out to about 3ft, after than it's not apparent. I'm thinking of playing around with modding the front with either a Fresnel lens, or some diffusion film to see if I can't open up the light a bit and get some usable spill out of this light.

So this thing is definitely ugly as a warthog, but I've got a feeling it's going to grow on me. I may go ahead and spraypaint the black parts flouresent orange because there is something about the angles on this light that make it blend into the background in cluttered areas for me. If I can manage to open up the beam a bit I think I'll like it better than now. I have little use for a light that is all throw.

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
I'm thinking of playing around with modding the front with either a Fresnel lens, or some diffusion film to see if I can't open up the light a bit and get some usable spill out of this light.

WriteRight screen protector for an old PDA was the best thing I could do for this light. It made it into a nice even flood which I liked better.

I'll have to down to Home Depot and see if they are marked down in my neck of the woods..... for $19.00 :hitit:

Bill

Bonky

Banned
yeh they're closing them out for $19 these days.

I had no problem getting the head off. Didn't even know it was glued until I saw a tiny dot of loctite or whatever on it. Didn't do anything to make the head even slightly difficult to unscrew.

Quite honestly, though, the usefulness of the light is limited to circumstances where you need to see ~50-100 yards ahead or so. The hotspot is so tiny and bright that, on the evening walk through the suburbs I took it on last night, it was just too damn bright. The girl I was with constantly complained that it was giving her a headache. So I took the head off and made it into a pure-flood light for the duration of the walk.

Plus it's super heavy. I think it's good to pop in some new Ds and let it sit for those times you're going to need to look waaaaaaay in the distance. I'm trying to think of when that would be.

It's also good if you want to blind someone.

Bonky

Banned
whoops!

So I threw in a couple of NIMH AAs in a AA->C->D adapter, turned the light on to see how long they'd last before I saw a noticeable dip in brightness.

Then I fell asleep, woke up 3 hours later. The light was pretty dim. I quickly yanked the batts out and threw em on a charger. They were under 1.0V O___o

They're now charging, hopefully didn't damage 'em too much.

Thing is, last night the light started flickering after being turned on for about 20 minutes.. thought it was the Eveready D batts losing their power, which they were. But today the light wasn't flickering even with the AAs dropping under 1V!

What's the deal? The flickering was happening last night, if I turned the light off for awhile it would stop, then return.

cujet

Newly Enlightened
Both of mine have failed. One simply quit during use. It got wicked hot and stopped working. The other has some sort of switch issue. It turns on, however I must position the switch just right. If I let the switch go all the way into the detent, it turns off.

They had a lifetime warranty. I like 'em and want 2 more.

Chris

dexter49

Newly Enlightened
Both of mine have failed. One simply quit during use. It got wicked hot and stopped working. The other has some sort of switch issue. It turns on, however I must position the switch just right. If I let the switch go all the way into the detent, it turns off.

Chris

I will be curious to see how the "lifetime warranty" is honored, since the lights seem to be getting discontinued from the stores. Please post your results.

HitecDrftr

Newly Enlightened

Chris

I still have the packaging from my Husky 4W. It says 3 year warranty. Still, you should be within that time frame.

-Hitec-

Bonky

Banned
And if they haven't sold out of them completely you could just buy a couple new ones, swap the old bad ones into the new packaging and return 'em. Same thing really.

s.c.

Newly Enlightened
I still have the packaging from my Husky 4W. It says 3 year warranty. Still, you should be within that time frame.

-Hitec-

I rolled up my receipt and warranty and wrapped the batteries to prevent rattle and so I'll never misplace them. Good thing as I had to return one of mine over the weekend. It would dim suddenly even with fresh batteries.

bemeo

Newly Enlightened
does any one know how to take the head of husky 2D 4 watts led flashlight apart ??? does it crew in or glue in . ??? need some help to replace the len cover and the led ( led was dead) thanks:mad::mad::mad: