Zebralight H60 vs. H60W

BirdofPrey

Enlightened
I've been talking to a dealer about getting a Zebralight to hike with. He said that the cool tint version he can get now and the warm tint version won't be available for a couple more weeks.

Now, I'll be using this for two things. One, reading at night useing the ultra low so as to not bother my lady.

The other use will be at night, hiking on high beam.

Will the cool tint be that much of a hinderance over the warm beam when hiking?

Just trying to figure out whether to go ahead and order.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you've lived this long without it, you can wait a few more weeks!
With the availability of neutral emitters, I wouldn't even consider anything else. I was fortunate enough to get a H30 with Q3 5A by request well before Zebralight had enough emitters to use them for a production run, and love it.
Knew about the AA model with a Q3 5A, but didn't know a H60w was coming. That's something I was hoping to see, and will strongly consider buying at some point-just not sure I actually need more than the H30.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wait for the warm. Its great for reading and general camp chores.

I don't really think the Zebralights alone cut if for trial hiking no matter how bright. Although that might depend on your terrain. In heavy east coast tree cover if you increase the brightness it just lights up the stuff close to you, which you could already see, even brighter and can make it harder to see further away instead of easier.

For hiking trails you will want to add something with more throw. For trail hiking my favorite setup is a H50 on Med or low to light up the ground at my feet and low hanging eye-poker branches, combined with a handheld to reach down the path.

photonhoer

Newly Enlightened
For hiking trails you will want to add something with more throw. ... a H50 ...combined with a handheld to reach down the path.

Yep!! No single light can do everything. One just should NOT expect one light to do it all.

John

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Myself, I've opted for the painstaking wait for the H60w. I intend it as an outdoors light so for me the W is well worth it.

AvPD

Enlightened
I ordered a warm because browns and greens are no good on the WC tint (not sure how much warmer WD is). Was considering the in-stock H501w because it wrings a lot of lumens and runtime from a NiMH AA but for outdoor use there is no substitute for a (near) fully driven LED. I'm a bit concerned about the efficiency of the circuit but without trying to calculate it it seems acceptable.