Shiningbeam's 3-mode circuitboard for P7...anybody users?

powerup93

Newly Enlightened
I wanted to know if I could use Shiningbeam's 3-mode board for P7/MCE sku#1217 in a 3D mag utilizing 3 NIMH D cell's.

The board looks like its uses a bunch of amc7135's and in my understanding those chips like a Vin that is a bit over the Vout to STAY IN REGULATION. My question is if I use 3 NIMH D-cell LSD which equals ~3.6v nom and can drop even lower after powering on for several hours....will the board not regulate the output after dropped below the emitters voltage?

I have a DX C**** bin that is premounted on an alum. star. I don't know if it is a high or low volt bin either.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ideally you should use an I forward voltage bin P7. The Vf range is 3.25V to 3.50V. Good D cell NiMHs probably can hold 1.25V each (3.75V total) at 3A draw. Vbatt > Vf + AMC7135 drop (=0.12V) for the board to run in regulation. For the the upper limit for the P7 Vf of 3.5V, Vbatt > ~3.6V. Should be easily achievable using 3xD NiMH for most of its run time. For lower Vf, with the AMC7135 Vdd pin fed through a diode, Vf also has to be greater than 2.7V (Vdd min for an AMC7135) + diode drop (=0.6V), or Vf > 3.3V to stay in regulation. If you remove the diodes, then Vf > 2.7V. But you'll benefit from this condition only if you have a low Vf P7, which is possible. If you have a J Vf bin P7, that is probably not so good for using an AMC7135 based driver.

Last edited:

dirtech

Enlightened
I'm interested in using this driver with a 2S2P MCE off of 2 18650's maybe using the method that puts two of the dies in series in front of the driver and two after the driver. Would this work? From here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/201392.

I want to use one of Nailbender's warm tinted MCE's, which I have no idea the Vf.

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting, I have one of Nailbender's warm mc-e's in a p60 drop-in powered by the Shiningbeam 3mode 2500ma board (from the mg pli IIRC). It's a great board, very dependable / reliable.

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened
I'm interested in using this driver with a 2S2P MCE off of 2 18650's maybe using the method that puts two of the dies in series in front of the driver and two after the driver. Would this work? From here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/201392.

I want to use one of Nailbender's warm tinted MCE's, which I have no idea the Vf.

I could be missing something, but I don't think that would work very well. The current on high is 2.8A, this is so that a 4P MCE would have 700mA through each die. Your setup would appear to be giving each die 1.4A... That could get ugly pretty quickly! You might be able to do a 2 MCE setup though, one 4P MCE before the driver and one 4P MCE after the driver... could work, but not sure.

dirtech

Enlightened
Ya, your right. I noticed the flaw in my thinking, and I need 1.4amp driver for the setup I'm thinking about. I already made an order at KD for the 7135 drivers.

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened
Ya, your right. I noticed the flaw in my thinking, and I need 1.4amp driver for the setup I'm thinking about. I already made an order at KD for the 7135 drivers.

Yeah, with a 1.4A 7135 driver that could make a pretty good and very cost effective setup. Are you looking for a multi-mode driver or just single mode? I can't see any reason for that not working... its neat to see out-of-the-box thinking like this wiring configuration!

Edit: Would the driver have to be an inline type? If it was like the shiningbeam driver, then I'm not sure how it would work. Or maybe it is just too late to think straight...

Last edited: