Just installed a G&P AI Strobe Tailcap..

kurikobun

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone,
I'm new here.

Anyways, I have two Solarforce L2 flashlights (one with Q5 and one with R2 bulb). I installed the G&P tailcap on my Q5, and the brightness of the light significantly became a lot dimmer than when it was used with the stock tailcap. It also flickers slightly and the tailcap emits a strange electronical noise. I'm wondering if this is normal? All of this also applies to the R2 when the tailcap was installed.. only thing better was that the light didn't flicker. My main concern is the reason why it got a lot dimmer. Is it because of poor conductivity and/or usage of materials? Can anyone recommend another affordable strobe tailcap?

Thanks.

EDIT: I forgot to say that the G&P tailcap was kind of a tight fit.. and while installation my o-ring ripped. Does anyone know what size replacement I should get at the hardware store?

Last edited:

kurikobun

Newly Enlightened
I'm running two 3.7v RCR123A batteries.
So I should be using at least three for the tailcap?

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
the strobe feature of that tailcap is not compatible with the driver circuits of some LED modules. You can eventually damage the module or the tailcap by trying to continue to use it. If you don't get full output and you hear electronic humming noise. Don't use it for that LED module. That's just the way it is, you can't fix it.

I have also found that the continuously variable tailcap that modulates power up and down will also not work with some modules and works great with others. The drivers in the LED modules are not compatible with competing drivers in these tailcaps.

I have found that the M60 series Malkoffs work great. That does not include the higher current draw MC-E units which may exceed the working current range of the strobe and continuously variable tailcaps. G

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just wanted to add some info. I was talking to Gene Malkoff yesterday and I asked him what type of drivers he uses in his M60 series lights. They are constant current type, not pulse width modulated. He told me that a long time ago but I forgot. Point is, that the strobe type tailcaps and continuously variable tail caps are compatible with constant current type driver circuits usually found in single mode lights and not with PWM type driver circuits for the reasons I mentioned in previous post. The two driver circuits are competing against each other cycle by cycle and don't work.

So if you must have a strobe tailcap feature of your Lego type light, drop in a Malkoff M60 as it will work reliably. G