KD Super Output SSC P7 LED Driver Board

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can't.

You can only driver one P7

Simply not true.

You can drive at least 2 in series using it. Maybe 3. BUT the input voltage should be 3 x Vf of LED + another 2 volt or so.

I have used them a few times driving a 2.8 amp load at a combined Vf of +/- 7.4v. I used 8 NiCds or 3 Li Ions.

mash.m

Enlightened
you can use this driver to drive 3 in series, but you have to change one condensator. i make a picture that will show this part.
the driver have to cooled with a heatsink to prevent from damage. i use this driver with four 14500 without any problem. this setup drive one mce. two dies in serie and two in row = 1400mA per die. dawm bright ;)

markus

Changchung

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, thanks, what if I use this technique???

Take it from here

3xP7DriverSetupb.jpg

Changchung

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, can you show me the pic? I am making the mod right now... :grin2:

you can use this driver to drive 3 in series, but you have to change one condensator. i make a picture that will show this part.
the driver have to cooled with a heatsink to prevent from damage. i use this driver with four 14500 without any problem. this setup drive one mce. two dies in serie and two in row = 1400mA per die. dawm bright ;)

markus

Al Combs

Enlightened
Unfortunately that won't work. The reason the AMC7135 works is because it's a linear regulator. So basically current in equals current out. The extra power in voltage is dissipated as heat. Take a look at the blue columns in this post about the AMC7135. The two LED's that are unregulated will have the same current as the regulator's input, not its output.

The KD Super Output regulator is a switching regulator. It cuts off the flow of power when current reaches a certain level. The higher the voltage, the less current it will use. That's why it doesn't work well. The two unregulated LED's will be under-driven with a switching regulator. The more unused voltage at hand, the dimmer the two unregulated LED's will be. If mash.m knows of some modification to allow three in series, try that instead. Meanwhile here is a good thread about Kai's Super P7 regulator. It's possible the efficiency goes up if you have more than one LED. I have read they get quite warm using more than 9 volts.

StefanFS did an excellent triple P7 mod using a homemade sandwiched AMC7135 regulator. It is multi level and has a ton of pictures.
Ok, thanks, what if I use this technique???

Take it from here

rufusbduck

Newly Enlightened

markus
Did you ever post this picture and is there a link? I would like to drive 4 xpg 2s2p 1400 mA per die @ 7 V with a 9.6 V battery pack. I have a good method for heatsinking and a few of these to play with.
Thanks

imonlylumen

Newly Enlightened
:confused:ok kinda a noob at all this.... im doing a 3d mag mod with this driver im going to run it on 3 26650 4ah cells w/ a single mc-e k bin . im a machinist and have made a heatsink that is like the one britelum sells

1# how and where does the heat sink go?
what produces the heat the mosfet?

2# and can i connect the mce in parallel

3# if i did a DD setup would it work with 3 li ion cells
what are the pros and cons
lovecpf

rufusbduck

Newly Enlightened
:confused:ok kinda a noob at all this.... im doing a 3d mag mod with this driver im going to run it on 3 26650 4ah cells w/ a single mc-e k bin . im a machinist and have made a heatsink that is like the one britelum sells

1# how and where does the heat sink go?
what produces the heat the mosfet?

2# and can i connect the mce in parallel

3# if i did a DD setup would it work with 3 li ion cells
what are the pros and cons
lovecpf
If possible, you should heatsink both sides of this board with a minimum of distance to the sink. If you desolder the center contact and replace it withe a wire you can then have all the wires on one side if necessary
You should connect the mce in parallel to use this driver and use 2 li ions in series.
If you dd you should use a serial wired mce and 3 li ions in series would be okay( 4 x 3.6 = 14.4v, 3 x 4.2 = 12.6v) so it would be slightly underdriven. You can visit the cree website and checkout the mce data sheet for a graph that correlates forward voltage vs current and also current vs output
Serial wired leds are better suited to high output as they are less susceptible to thermal runaway since all the dies see the same current. 2s2p is also popular for this reason. Parallel dies should not be driven hard since the die with the lowest forward voltage will see the most current... will heat more... will lower voltage more... will see MORE current... thermal runaway... first one die goes out then anotherandanotherandanotherandnomorelight. I have parallel wired separate xre's at 900 mA that are still fine after a year but the mce's at 700 mA per die don't seem to last long at all.
At this point I think it's a better bet to get a triple or quad xpg on a 20mm or 35mm star from cutterelectronics in Australia. Lots of different optics available, much more robust than mce and more output from 2 xpg than one mce.