Fenix Mode Changing Question

duboost

Enlightened
From what i understand, to change between general and turbo modes on the P and L series Fenix lights, you tighten the head for turbo and loosen for general correct?

On both my P3D and PD20 it seems to be very hit or miss with this method working. I turn the light on and tighten the head completely, yet the light stays in general mode. Once in a while it works on one try, other times im turning it back and forth 5+ times to get it into turbo mode. With my tk20 and tk11, switching between modes works flawlessly. Just my two P series lights both seem to be very finicky. Any ideas on the cause for this? They're both running on cr123 primaries if that matters. Thanks for any help

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
possibly debrits on the contacts (outside Ring in head, or body part)?
Try wiping both with a Q-tip

adnj

Enlightened
This is a known issue for Fenix. Use a cleaner like Deoxit for the solder traces on the underside of the head and also clean the bare metal at the top of the battery tube.

Also keep any bare threads clean.

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Make sure the o-ring is lubricated as well, I have found that a dry o-ring will make it difficult to work right. It basically "bounces back" to general mode when tightened with a dry o-ring, but once lubricated, it works just fine. YMMV

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

Can you check the copper trace around the edge of the PCB carefully to see if it has any defects? E.g. deep scratches or discolouration.

duboost

Enlightened
I tried wiping it again and the pd20 is now working like it should. But the P3D is still not working properly though. When i loosen the bezel as little as a quarter turn the light either flickers or shuts off, then goes to the next mode in the general mode when retightening it. But i can't get it into the Turbo/Strobe mode.

Hi,

Can you check the copper trace around the edge of the PCB carefully to see if it has any defects? E.g. deep scratches or discolouration.
On my P3D i do see some discoloration around the very outer edge of the copper. Im guessing this is not good? :(

adnj

Enlightened
Seems like oxidation. And yes, you must keep the o-ring lubed as well.

I have had my P2D since the very first week it was available and it will not behave properly until I clean it.

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the P3D is damaged and you bought it at 4 Sevens, they will either fix it or replace it for free. Doesn't matter how long ago it was bought.