Improved head for M@G Rebel 2D

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M@G Rebel 2D is a nice light for around $30. It is machined well, rugged, has decent output (seems to be around 150 lumens) and good runtime (20+ hours on alkalines). It puts out a nice, tight spot but leaves a lot to be desired when set to flood - ugly with many artifacts and not really a whole lot wider than spot.

While working on my other designs, I experimented with a lens on the 2D and it worked well - it will zoom/focus from a wide, smooth flood (about 90 degrees) to a really tight spot (where an image of the LED die is projected). Besides zoom/focus, this head also provide additional advantages:
a. makes the light 1.0in. shorter than stock.
b. head diameter is smaller by 0.40in.
c. has an anti-roll feature.
d can have a flat or crenallated bezel.

Here is a comparison of the stock 2D with new head (which screws on to the body in place of the stock head). Is there a commercial market for it? What do you guys think?

a_63a.jpg

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not have one of the original MagLEDs. There are some minor dimensional differences but I'm sure it can be made to fit (2D or 3D).

ntalbot

Enlightened
I would prefer one for the 2C M@g, but it sounds like a great idea. Might be a pretty cost sensitive product though. What would the ballpark cost be? Would it keep the original driver and LED?

Cheers,
Neil

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
It can be done for a 2C - and it will shorten it by about 1.0in. as well. It uses everything (body, driver, switch, LED) from the stock light - only the head assembly is changed. Simply remove the original head and replace with this:
a_63d.jpg

Estimated price should be in the $40 range with a hard anodized finish.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
This would be a very nice upgrade. If you have one that you have tried, do you have comparative beamshots?

It would likely work with all LED mags if it uses the bezel threads to screw in/out for focus.

Does it use aspherics? A double lens setup?