Weeeee, got my Olight M30 today

berfles

Newly Enlightened
No real pictures yet, so these pictures suck until I find some decent lighting. I'll try posting a comparison between my G2 with Wolf Eyes 170 lumen Cree and my M30, though I will say the G2 is on par with the Medium setting of the M30, but on high it just gets trounced :D

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aww yes I remember earlier this week you was looking for something to upgrade to. I think I remember you being worried about throw.

We suggested the M30 to you so I hope it was the right call. Does it have enough throw for you? What battery set up are you using?

berfles

Newly Enlightened
Yeah I did reply to my other thread about batteries but mods deleted all our posts for some reason...

Anyway, I'm using 3 CR123s right now because I have a box of them, and eventually I'll use whatever is best without having to use the extender tube because that makes it a bit too big for my liking.

I love the light, it has plenty of throw for me and it's extremely bright. It looks like those spotlights they put out in front of theatres and stuff, it's pretty insane.

The weather is sucky tonight so I couldn't really get any beam shots, but tomorrow and Sunday are supposed to be great so I'll try then. It's funny, I can charge my solar lights with it :)

Here's another picture, though there's only so many pictures you can take of a flashlight and everyone knows what this one looks like ;) I'll get some comparison shots next to my G2 once I get my lightbox set up better.

IMG_6948.jpg

Last edited:

berfles

Newly Enlightened
I was going to ask you to repost that since it got deleted the first time :)

Thanks. I also would like to note I don't notice any of the PWM on low or medium settings, maybe it just doesn't bother me.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have seen four M30's and havn't seen any on any modes. I don't know if its that some people don't see it or some lights don't have it or both.

berfles

Newly Enlightened
Could be, who knows. I guess you can see it if you take a video of it though, maybe I'll try that but it doesn't really matter if I can't see it with my eyes.

I also really like the diffuser, that will come in handy when I need to work on my PC or something, my G2 used to blind me because the spot would be right there. The diffuser is great.

All in all I'm thrilled with the light, so thanks to those who recommended it for me. Need to get some 18500 batteries next. They make rechargeable ones right? I'll probably get those and a charger.

mpkav

Newly Enlightened
I bought the M30 about a week ago and have AW 18500 batteries!! It's a great combo and I'm still on my first charge!!! Love the light.

berfles

Newly Enlightened
Here are some shots of the beam on my garage door from about 15 feet away... Is there a "standard" for camera settings? These were shot at 1/25sec at 5.6... Thought I'd do a GIF rather than side by side pictures.

G2 is first, then M30 on high:

g2vxm30.gif

M30 on low, medium, and high:

lomedhi.gif

And the G2 on left and M30 on right:

IMG_7077.jpg

If someone tells me the standard for taking beam pictures I'll try that too. Outdoors is hard because anywhere I shine them I'll draw attention from neighbors.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
There really is no standard,this is CPF just shine them on something and we'll like it. I do prefer outdoor shots though especially for a light like the M30.

Unless you worried about scarring the neighbors.

berfles

Newly Enlightened
I'll try to get some outdoor ones tomorrow. Maybe I can shine it on my shed or something, it has to be level because my garbage tripod is broken and won't let me angle up or down.

I'll also see if I can find my old Maglite just to laugh at how bad it gets outclassed.

mcm308

Enlightened
I just got my M30 also.. It's a killer light and for the price, excellent package. Quality on the light is top notch ! I was looking for a SF 6P sized light and the M30 is not much bigger. So I was extremely pleased! When I 1st got it, I wasn't all to impressed playing with it in my house. That changed when I got outside in the dark and blasted a tree about 75 yards away. Ofcourse I had to do the stoopid test and look into the beam... well, you get immediate green spots and the brain takes over and makes you look away. It impossible to look into it, even trying to look into on an angle is tough. I have a couple beamshots... quality isn't that good but I'm still trying to figure out how to get good pictures at night using the light.
Here is a dark corner in my apartment complex ...
IMG_0985.jpg

And a tree top...
IMG_0986.jpg

mcm308

Enlightened
Berf, I hope you don't mind me posting in your thread. I was going to make my own and saw yours so I thought I would just add to it..

berfles

Newly Enlightened
Ok, here is an outdoor beamshot. First image is control, second is G2, third is M30 on high. I set the exposure based on the G2 so the shutter speed was 0"6 at f/3.5 for both. Sorry about the camera shadow on the right.

outdoor.gif