Jetbeam        

Thread: Weeeee, got my Olight M30 today

Default Weeeee, got my Olight M30 today

No real pictures yet, so these pictures suck until I find some decent lighting. I'll try posting a comparison between my G2 with Wolf Eyes 170 lumen Cree and my M30, though I will say the G2 is on par with the Medium setting of the M30, but on high it just gets trounced

Default Re: Weeeee, got my Olight M30 today

Congrats!

Its a nice light

Look forward to some shots

^^Click for my beamshots!!^^ My Flashlights

Aww yes I remember earlier this week you was looking for something to upgrade to. I think I remember you being worried about throw.

We suggested the M30 to you so I hope it was the right call. Does it have enough throw for you? What battery set up are you using?
    My flashlight collection HERE

Yeah I did reply to my other thread about batteries but mods deleted all our posts for some reason...

Anyway, I'm using 3 CR123s right now because I have a box of them, and eventually I'll use whatever is best without having to use the extender tube because that makes it a bit too big for my liking.

I love the light, it has plenty of throw for me and it's extremely bright. It looks like those spotlights they put out in front of theatres and stuff, it's pretty insane.

The weather is sucky tonight so I couldn't really get any beam shots, but tomorrow and Sunday are supposed to be great so I'll try then. It's funny, I can charge my solar lights with it

Here's another picture, though there's only so many pictures you can take of a flashlight and everyone knows what this one looks like I'll get some comparison shots next to my G2 once I get my lightbox set up better.

Last edited by berfles; 06-05-2009 at 08:20 PM.

Without the extender tube apparently 2x18500 are best. The 3xCr123 drops out of regulation quickly and drops from then on. I forget if you seen this but half way down this page is a good runtime chart by selfbuilt. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...=231491&page=3

I'm looking forward to getting some 18500's.

I was going to ask you to repost that since it got deleted the first time

Thanks. I also would like to note I don't notice any of the PWM on low or medium settings, maybe it just doesn't bother me.

I have seen four M30's and havn't seen any on any modes. I don't know if its that some people don't see it or some lights don't have it or both.

Could be, who knows. I guess you can see it if you take a video of it though, maybe I'll try that but it doesn't really matter if I can't see it with my eyes.

I also really like the diffuser, that will come in handy when I need to work on my PC or something, my G2 used to blind me because the spot would be right there. The diffuser is great.

All in all I'm thrilled with the light, so thanks to those who recommended it for me. Need to get some 18500 batteries next. They make rechargeable ones right? I'll probably get those and a charger.

Yeh I have used this charger for awhile and it's been good to me. Here is a combo deal.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/wf139-18500-combo.html

I bought the M30 about a week ago and have AW 18500 batteries!! It's a great combo and I'm still on my first charge!!! Love the light.
    You can never have enough light!!!!!
    **Certified Malkoff Junkie**

Here are some shots of the beam on my garage door from about 15 feet away... Is there a "standard" for camera settings? These were shot at 1/25sec at 5.6... Thought I'd do a GIF rather than side by side pictures.

G2 is first, then M30 on high:

M30 on low, medium, and high:

And the G2 on left and M30 on right:

If someone tells me the standard for taking beam pictures I'll try that too. Outdoors is hard because anywhere I shine them I'll draw attention from neighbors.

There really is no standard,this is CPF just shine them on something and we'll like it. I do prefer outdoor shots though especially for a light like the M30.

Unless you worried about scarring the neighbors.

I'll try to get some outdoor ones tomorrow. Maybe I can shine it on my shed or something, it has to be level because my garbage tripod is broken and won't let me angle up or down.

I'll also see if I can find my old Maglite just to laugh at how bad it gets outclassed.

I just got my M30 also.. It's a killer light and for the price, excellent package. Quality on the light is top notch ! I was looking for a SF 6P sized light and the M30 is not much bigger. So I was extremely pleased! When I 1st got it, I wasn't all to impressed playing with it in my house. That changed when I got outside in the dark and blasted a tree about 75 yards away. Ofcourse I had to do the stoopid test and look into the beam... well, you get immediate green spots and the brain takes over and makes you look away. It impossible to look into it, even trying to look into on an angle is tough. I have a couple beamshots... quality isn't that good but I'm still trying to figure out how to get good pictures at night using the light.
    Here is a dark corner in my apartment complex ...

And a tree top...

Great pics guys. I need to get out and get some myself!!!
    You can never have enough light!!!!!
    **Certified Malkoff Junkie**

I'll have my outdoor beamshots up Tuesday night.

Berf, I hope you don't mind me posting in your thread. I was going to make my own and saw yours so I thought I would just add to it..

Nope, not a problem

Ok, here is an outdoor beamshot. First image is control, second is G2, third is M30 on high. I set the exposure based on the G2 so the shutter speed was 0"6 at f/3.5 for both. Sorry about the camera shadow on the right.

Good show berfles with the M30 it looks like the sun comes out.

I like how you can not only see my patio and chairs with the M30, but also the fence which is another 30ft away as well as the property beyond the fence. My G2 now looks dim to me every time I turn it on.

Yep thats I was going to mention that and the corner of your house. I think when trying to describe a M30 that corner of your house and those chairs really show its strengths. Even though the corner is getting hit with spill it looks like a head on shot.

Quote Originally Posted by berfles View Post
    Yeah I did reply to my other thread about batteries but mods deleted all our posts for some reason...

Anyway, I'm using 3 CR123s right now because I have a box of them, and eventually I'll use whatever is best without having to use the extender tube because that makes it a bit too big for my liking.

I love the light, it has plenty of throw for me and it's extremely bright. It looks like those spotlights they put out in front of theatres and stuff, it's pretty insane.

The weather is sucky tonight so I couldn't really get any beam shots, but tomorrow and Sunday are supposed to be great so I'll try then. It's funny, I can charge my solar lights with it

Here's another picture, though there's only so many pictures you can take of a flashlight and everyone knows what this one looks like I'll get some comparison shots next to my G2 once I get my lightbox set up better.

how does the throw compare to a tiablo a9? does it have better throw?

I have been carrying and using my M30. Awesome light! By far the brightest light I have seen. I wish it had more of a spotlight beam but it's so bright it just lights up everything. I thought the idea of the belt clip was neat and I like to carry it on my belt this way but quickly found out the clip they use is useless and bends to easy. My light went crashing to the pavement because of this and it now has a couple gouges that I'm not happy about. Also.. the strobe/ mode selector button does not make contact sometimes and takes excessive pressure to make it function but other than this, it's a fantastic light. I plan to get the 18500's and charger for it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by mcm308 View Post
    I have been carrying and using my M30. Awesome light! By far the brightest light I have seen. I wish it had more of a spotlight beam but it's so bright it just lights up everything. I thought the idea of the belt clip was neat and I like to carry it on my belt this way but quickly found out the clip they use is useless and bends to easy. My light went crashing to the pavement because of this and it now has a couple gouges that I'm not happy about. Also.. the strobe/ mode selector button does not make contact sometimes and takes excessive pressure to make it function but other than this, it's a fantastic light. I plan to get the 18500's and charger for it soon.
    I was having the same exact problem with my M30 and the strobe selector button. Only difference is mine stopped working completely and it was stuck on the low mode. I sent it in for a replacement but I am hoping that this is not an ongoing problem with the light...Other then that, I loved the light.
    My Youtube Channel on EDC Gear and Hiking/Camping related videos...

http://www.youtube.com/beactivelife

Quote Originally Posted by sethistruckin View Post
    I was having the same exact problem with my M30 and the strobe selector button. Only difference is mine stopped working completely and it was stuck on the low mode. I sent it in for a replacement but I am hoping that this is not an ongoing problem with the light...Other then that, I loved the light.
    What did you send in and who are you dealing with to get it fixed ? I should get mine fixed before it's stops working and then I get pissed...lol

Quote Originally Posted by mcm308 View Post
    What did you send in and who are you dealing with to get it fixed ? I should get mine fixed before it's stops working and then I get pissed...lol
    I sent in my Olight M30, the complete unit in its original case back to BatteryJunction. I noticed that it was extremely difficult to access the strobe mode when I first received the light, and also it was both difficult and inconsistent to select the modes from the strobe/side button when the light was on. After 3 or 4 days went by of testing out the light and trying to figure out the switch it just decided to stop working totally. I could not access strobe and I could not change modes, it was stuck on low.

I should be getting the replacement tomorrow or tuesday. I had to pay for shipping to BatteryJunction, but they are covering the shipping back to me. Hope that helps...

Quote Originally Posted by sethistruckin View Post
    I sent in my Olight M30, the complete unit in its original case back to BatteryJunction. I noticed that it was extremely difficult to access the strobe mode when I first received the light, and also it was both difficult and inconsistent to select the modes from the strobe/side button when the light was on. After 3 or 4 days went by of testing out the light and trying to figure out the switch it just decided to stop working totally. I could not access strobe and I could not change modes, it was stuck on low.

I should be getting the replacement tomorrow or tuesday. I had to pay for shipping to BatteryJunction, but they are covering the shipping back to me. Hope that helps...
    Sorry to hear about the problem. Thanks for that info.

Be glad you bought from BattJunction. In addition to one of the best inventories and LED product selections in the world, their customer service is excellent .

Ive been looking at the M30 as my first OLight. Although it means a new (to me) type of cell, 18500, I am excited about having a 700 lumen light on my belt in a tough holster. I have a few 18650s, yet I think I'd prefer the shorter size with the two 18500s.

In the meantime I'll watch for more info regarding that 'bug' in the M30.

Quote Originally Posted by tsask View Post
    Sorry to hear about the problem. Thanks for that info.

Be glad you bought from BattJunction. In addition to one of the best inventories and LED product selections in the world, their customer service is excellent .

Ive been looking at the M30 as my first OLight. Although it means a new (to me) type of cell, 18500, I am excited about having a 700 lumen light on my belt in a tough holster. I have a few 18650s, yet I think I'd prefer the shorter size with the two 18500s.

In the meantime I'll watch for more info regarding that 'bug' in the M30.
    Yes BatteryJunction handled the situation very well. They are sending me out a "tested" unit, so hopefully the problem is not present in the new light.

I have never used the 18500 cell either. I was running the light with just cr123a's. I was under the assumption that I would like the small factor with the 3 cr123a or 2 18500 battery configuration as well. But after holding the light in my hand I think that two 18650's will suit my needs well with the longer runtime.

BTW, this is my first Olight too. I have heard great things about the product, so I will give the second M30 a shot.