Need a cheap single CR123 battery drainer

FlaMtnBkr

Newly Enlightened
I am looking to get a cheap (something from Kaidomain or DX?) light to suck out the last bit of energy from my cr123 primaries.

Does anyone have a suggestion? Would any direct drive light do this? If so, again a recommendation would be great.

I am accumulating a nice little pile of batteries that I would like to run down before recycling. I mainly use my fenix lights on low for most of my needs so a light that is running on depleted batteries and is dim should be fine for most things.

Thanks in advance!!!

Ryan

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
One you can get today at your local Target store (assuming you are in the US) would be the Dorcy Super 1-watt, which is one of the better known "battery vampires" and is CR123A format.
Should be able to get it for less than $20.

Here's a thread with some other options for a battery vampire.

Last edited:

FlaMtnBkr

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the link! I will look into the Dorcy since it can be found locally.

I have used primaries so far because I use maybe 3 a year. I mainly use the light on low and a battery seems to last for a long time. However, I did just order a 14500 light from DX and I threw in a charger and some batteries.

On that note, does anyone know if it is safe to use a 3.7V PRCR123 battery in a fenix P2D?

Thanks!

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

The Fenix P2D does work with a 3.7V RCR123 but it ends up running in direct drive most of the time so the levels are messed up and it is not good for the driver. Not a good idea.

Illum

Flashaholic
One you can get today at your local Target store (assuming you are in the US) would be the Dorcy Super 1-watt, which is one of the better known "battery vampires" and is CR123A format.
Should be able to get it for less than $20.

Here's a thread with some other options for a battery vampire.

+1:D

FlaMtnBkr

Newly Enlightened
Well I went to Target and got the recommended Dorcy light.

It runs the batteries down to about 2.40V before the light stops putting out light. Is this because there is not enough voltage to light up the LED or because the battery can no longer provide any current at this low of a voltage?

The batteries come out of the Fenix and are 'dead' at about 2.88V so it doesn't provide as much run time as I thought it would in the Dorcy.

Just wondering if there is a light out there that could still drain some power out of the CR123 batts or if they are indeed now dead and should be recycled?

That stinks the 3.7V rechargeables are too much for the Fenix because that is what I ordered them for.

Illum

Flashaholic
Whatever would you be smiling about Illum? :D

the Dorcy is exactly what I use to take early morning/late night showers with:)
weak batteries give dim light, normally useless when you're used to regular lights...so I use them in the comforts of my own bathroom. The little light I need is not to trip on the stall on the way out, not bumping my head on the showerhead, and figuring out where I dropped the soap.

I am very nearsighted in day but almost legally blind at night...:D

I have a couple tools I use to drain CR123As, the most cost effective is the dorcy super 1 watt, along with
Fenix P1-CE
Inova T1 2006
Surefire TW4 Lego
LaserGlow Galileo-5 5mw 532nm

FlaMtnBkr

Newly Enlightened
So does anyone have any ideas about the condition of my batteries? Or the ability of the Dorcy to produce light at low voltage?

Thanks!

Illum

Flashaholic
unless you test them using a ZTS or equivalent tester no one can be sure about the conditions of your batteries. Lithium primaries have consistent open circuit voltage as their closed circuit voltage...so using a voltmeter won't give you anything useful.

As far as the dorcy goes, it can drain cells so low that the ZTS won't even click. Usually around there it might do you more harm than good to drain further. I have drained CR123A to nearly 1.5V before...and some may burp before then, and thats not something you'd want floating about in the house:eek: