Arrgghhh Dosun R1

1anrm

Enlightened
Hi there,
I just got got a Dosun R1 and I found something 'funky' with it's operation. I've already cleaned the contacts and changed batteries from fresh nimh to new alkalines... but everytime you turn it on it flashes first then goes into the mode it's selected to every single time, does not matter which mode in the selector. So if anyone who has an R1 please let me know if this is normal?
thanks for shining in.

Last edited:

1anrm

Enlightened
ok, I bypassed the switch and it is still the same problem. It is more of a pulse actually than a flicker. Pulses first before turning on every single time. dang :shakehead

Norm

Retired Administrator
My R6 comes on low and then goes to the select mode but it is only just noticeable the low period is extremely brief certainly not annoying.
Norm

swiftwing

Newly Enlightened
I seem to remember reading in reviews that this is normal, will report back again once my R1 arrives from 4sevens. How's the brightness?

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the 'pulsing' is a common problem. My R5 does a similar thing except that if you have it switched to high, it comes on initially on medium then switches to high after 1/2 a second.

What do you think of the output of the R1? The R5 output is extremely dissappointing. It's definately not putting out 120 lumens at the emitter!:sigh:
- Tight focused beam with very little spill - no brighter than my Novatac 120P on my programmed medium setting (I would guess around 50 lumens max) - supposed to be outputting 120 lumens! The R1 is rated at 80 lumens max - does it look like 80 lumens?

Squeeky threads and bezel ring! Big, bulky and an under achiever. My Surefire A2 kills it for output. Don't get me wrong, the styling and the included case and batteries are all great, its' just that the amount of light it produces is very underwhelming. Its no wonder there has been so little CPF traffic discussing these R5/R6 Dosun lights.

Hey Norm, are you happy with the output of your R6?

James...

Last edited:

Norm

Retired Administrator
The R6 isn't the brightest light I have but is bright enough for everyday around home or car use, most non flashaholics would be very pleased with the output, great neutral tint.
It has way too many modes, squeaky threads respond well to a little lube. The optic in the R6 has a nice hot spot that blends nicely into a fairly concentrated spill.
For the clearance price I think I got my moneys worth, if I had paid the original price I wouldn't be quite as happy.

1anrm

Enlightened
My R6 comes on low and then goes to the select mode but it is only just noticeable the low period is extremely brief certainly not annoying.
Norm

If I set the R1 on low then turn it on the pulse is actually brighter than the low. I would have liked it if it would pulse on low first i wouldnt mind that at all.

Last edited:

1anrm

Enlightened
I seem to remember reading in reviews that this is normal, will report back again once my R1 arrives from 4sevens. How's the brightness?

If I place it side by side to a P10a2 on low I can barely tell the difference in output between the two.

I think the 'pulsing' is a common problem. My R5 does a similar thing except that if you have it switched to high, it comes on initially on medium then switches to high after 1/2 a second.

What do you think of the output of the R1? The R5 output is extremely dissappointing. It's definately not putting out 120 lumens at the emitter!:sigh:
- Tight focused beam with very little spill - no brighter than my Novatac 120P on my programmed medium setting (I would guess around 50 lumens max) - supposed to be outputting 120 lumens! The R1 is rated at 80 lumens max - does it look like 80 lumens?

Squeeky threads and bezel ring! Big, bulky and an under achiever. My Surefire A2 kills it for output. Don't get me wrong, the styling and the included case and batteries are all great, its' just that the amount of light it produces is very underwhelming. Its no wonder there has been so little CPF traffic discussing these R5/R6 Dosun lights.

Hey Norm, are you happy with the output of your R6?

James...

The output is closer to 65. The threads cam pretty dry but after lubing it is okay. I primarily bought this since it's different and I have never had anything with a collimator lens + stainless steel bezel + selector ring + beacon + and forward clickie in a 2aa format. If this goes well I'll probably put it in the car as an emergency light. I'll just pretend am double tapping when i turn it in on since that's exactly how it looks like.:shakehead

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

I've bought my Dosun R1 on the same grounds. I've heard negative things about it but at the clearance price it is a winner. Collecting it from the post office monday and I'll post my thoughts then.

Is it just me or do any of you think that the bigger body could be a benefit in some situations? It should improve grip and make it feel nicer in the hand. Useful for a work light.

1anrm

Enlightened
Hi,

I've bought my Dosun R1 on the same grounds. I've heard negative things about it but at the clearance price it is a winner. Collecting it from the post office monday and I'll post my thoughts then.

Is it just me or do any of you think that the bigger body could be a benefit in some situations? It should improve grip and make it feel nicer in the hand. Useful for a work light.

I like the grip in these, yes the bigger diameter barrel makes a better grip compared to my other lights. I think the larger diameter compensates for it's lack of knurling.

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received my R1 yesterday so as promised here are my thoughts on it. I took it out for a night walk. Weather conditions were bad - fairly heavy rain. The route I'd picked started off on normal roads with streetlights but included a fair distance across a large open field, ending on a dark country road completely enclosed by trees above. Output is definately not as high as any recent cree 2xAA lights I've purchased. Despite this throw was pretty good due to the optics - even in the rain :)

The brightness settings could have been improved with better spacing but it's fine once you get used to it. SOS/beacon settings can get in the way if you are adjusting the brightness without being able to see the selection ring - which unfortunately would most likely be the case as a flashlight is generally used in the dark! It's easy to turn it too far one way if you forget the level you are on, but this isn't a huge deal. It's definately not suitable in any kind of tactical situation however.

Presentation was excellent. I do like the zipcase it comes in and it protects the light well. The light weighs more than you'd think by looking at it and feels very solid in the hand. Build quality is good and the mode ring spins freely with just the right amount of force. The larger body size compared to most 2xAA lights was actually welcome as it does improve grip, but could be a problem for EDC.

Overall was it worth it? Definately at the clearance price I paid, but at the original RRP it was too expensive. Shame it's not brighter on max.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Glad your happy with your Dosun Zip, if someone had have offered one to me 2 years ago I would have thought I'd died and gone to heaven, I tossed up about buying the R1 but could only afford to get one model, not disappointed I bought the R6.
I'm just waiting until someone works out how to upgrade the LED.
Norm

1anrm

Enlightened
I received my R1 yesterday so as promised here are my thoughts on it. I took it out for a night walk. Weather conditions were bad - fairly heavy rain. The route I'd picked started off on normal roads with streetlights but included a fair distance across a large open field, ending on a dark country road completely enclosed by trees above. Output is definately not as high as any recent cree 2xAA lights I've purchased. Despite this throw was pretty good due to the optics - even in the rain :)

The brightness settings could have been improved with better spacing but it's fine once you get used to it. SOS/beacon settings can get in the way if you are adjusting the brightness without being able to see the selection ring - which unfortunately would most likely be the case as a flashlight is generally used in the dark! It's easy to turn it too far one way if you forget the level you are on, but this isn't a huge deal. It's definately not suitable in any kind of tactical situation however.

Presentation was excellent. I do like the zipcase it comes in and it protects the light well. The light weighs more than you'd think by looking at it and feels very solid in the hand. Build quality is good and the mode ring spins freely with just the right amount of force. The larger body size compared to most 2xAA lights was actually welcome as it does improve grip, but could be a problem for EDC.

Overall was it worth it? Definately at the clearance price I paid, but at the original RRP it was too expensive. Shame it's not brighter on max.

Zipplet, do you get the brief 'pulse' when you turn on the light? I was also thinking that perhaps this was originally supposed to take CR123 batts then they someone thought use AA since the barrel is much wider and they used some spacers to prevent AA rattle. I don't know hopefully the others who have an R5/6 would check if they also check if their barrel is wider than the batteries.

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

Yes there is a brief pulse when switching on the light. This was mentioned on other reviews so it didn't bite me by surprise, I can live with it. Interesting theory of yours about the battery size but I think they intended AA all along - the extra size makes sense otherwise the head would look oversized compared to the battery tube :)

Norm

Retired Administrator
I don't know hopefully the others who have an R5/6 would check if they also check if their barrel is wider than the batteries.
R6 is wider than CR123 but just not wide enough to take 18XXX batteries.
Norm