Rechargeable options for the new 2009 model Surefire L4?

Howecollc

Enlightened
Does anyone have any experience running two 3.7v RCR123s in the new 2009 model SSC P4 emitter Surefire L4? Or, is anyone using two 3.0v LiFePO4 123s in it? So far, I've not found a post from a single person actually using rechargeables with the new 2009 model L4.

dchao

Enlightened
I am also surprised that no one has tried it.

L4 has a buck type voltage regulator for the output, I don't see why you can't use 2x Li-Ion cells together. The voltage regulator should be able to cope with 8V input instead of 6V from 2 x CR123's.

But it's not recommended to use two RCR123's together in series.

Quoted from BatteryStation.com:
The RCR-123A battery has proven to work best in single cell applications; especially single cell LED flashlights. This battery has a safety circuit which protects it against overloads, short circuits, etc. When used in series, the batteries sometimes will "open" or go to the fault condition as they think there is a problem.

However, you can use the AW's new IMR16340's, as they are much better for multi-cell applications. The body of the IMR16340 is also slimmer than the RCR123, and there is a much better chance that they will fit into the SF body.

Howecollc

Enlightened
I've been running AW RCR123s in my E2DL since X-mas. I'm wondering if the buck regulation circuitry in the new L4 is the same or very similar to that of the E2DL, and as such, would be able to handle the extra voltage of the RCRs as well. I feel certain that, at the very least, the new L4 can handle the slightly extra voltage of LiFePO4s, but was hoping to hear from some people who were actually using them.

Howecollc

Enlightened
There's probably not a single LuxV L4 out there that's not running 17670s, but you're telling me everybody's using primaries in the new model?

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't speak for myself as I don't own one... but I honestly would be using primaries.

Don't ask me why :shrug:

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
:wtf:

Umm... no.

I just use primaries in my SF's.
Unless they are modded for rechargeables, eg bored out, or the battery adapters I have for different lamps with my M6 etc.

What's wrong with sticking to what the warranty says?
Plus I don't have to worry about possible damage using rechargables could do.

What does my financial situation have to do with anything anyway?
I put fuel in my car, so why is it so wrong to buy primaries??

Last edited:

Howecollc

Enlightened
If you told me you drove a diesel VW Rabbit and worked at a Dunkin Donuts, I would question your wasting money on fuel as well.

Last edited:

Howecollc

Enlightened
Just thought I'd update that I've been running my 2009 model L4 on 2 AW 3.7v RCR123s for almost a year now (about 30 hours of use) with no problems. Runtime is 65 minutes at full output until the cells shut down.

Marka683

Newly Enlightened
Just purchased the L4, my primary use will be on until discharge. I want to try the rechargeable 123's. Have you done this with your L4, run it from full charge to discharged without turning it off? Has the two rechargeable 123's damaged the light in any way? Thanks for trying this, the L4 is a great light for my purpose.