Flashlight

john10001

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for an led flashlight just for general use but also in emergency situations.

I've taken a look at the Surefire E2DL and I like this a lot and the specs are what I'm looking for in a torch. Unfortunately the price is too high for me.

Can anyone recommend to me any other flashlights similar to the Surefire E2DL but that cost a lot less?

Thanks,
John

AusKipper

Enlightened
Fenix TK10/11/20 .

Of those I would go for the Fenix TK20. (its AA, not CR123 if thats a problem...)

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 for the PD30

Its got what you might need in emergency multiple modes with a low up to a good turbo if needed.

I can't suggest this light enough its great.

easilyled

Flashaholic
Solarforce is a new company from Hong Kong which makes flashlights of very high quality for extremely reasonable prices.

The Solarforce L2 model is equivalent to the Surefire 6P and takes the P60 compatible drop-ins.

You can get a fully assembled Solarforce L2 with Cree-R2 3-stage module 18650 battery and holster from the Solarforce Store for $25=00.

Please note though that this is not hard anodised.

The Solarforce Store are based in Hong Kong and you can google them for a link to their website.

I believe their prices to be the best for these products and their service is very good too.

Last edited:

sappyg

Enlightened
RA EDC-E....... construction is on par with the E2DL and is easily programed. it can take RCR batteries and has a lifetime warranty. not bad.

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
I'd say, go for the Romisen RC-N3 Q5. Everybody should have at least one, even if you don't use it everyday. And the price is reasonable. About $25.

Use the coupon code "cpfuser" for 6% off.

sappyg

Enlightened
Can anyone recommend to me any other flashlights similar to the Surefire E2DL but that cost a lot less?

Thanks,
John

you're gonna get a lot of different recommendations here. what is your budget? battery preference?
general use and emergencies is pretty broad too.

Toaster

Enlightened
Eagletac P100C2 is similarly compact like the E2DL with great output, runtime, and regulation. Imho it's one of the best deals going right now along with it's bigger brother, the T100C2. You can find a review of the light here along with additional info in this thread.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
What kind of light are you looking for?
What batteries?
How much runtime?
What price?
What size?

I'd suggest staying with AAs for emergency lights because AA batteries are readily available. The Romisen RC-N3 2 stage from Shinigbeam might be a good choice. 2 AA, 2 mode, and a forward clickie. Check the coupon in Ryanrpm's post.

The Eagletac P100A2 is a better choice if you are willing to spend more. Similar to the RC-N3, 2 stage, 2 AA, forward clickie, but with better quality and better warrenty.

I'd suggest using lithium batteries if you plan on leaving the light around until it's needed.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would give another vote for the T100C2, or P100C2 if you want a slightly smaller light. Both have fairly throwy beam patterns like the E2DL, as well as 2 modes. The "low" mode is really more of a medium, not a low. The T100C2 can use CR123s or 18650's, while the P100C2 can only fit CR123's or 17670's (since it is not as wide). Both are under 50 dollars, so they are much more reasonably priced than the surefire.

john10001

Newly Enlightened
After reading all the responses and doing a bit more research I believe I will probably end up owning a few flashlights and a few head lights
too.

I do like the Fenix PD30, it seems to be highly recommended and may become my choice for an all rounder CR123A based flashlight but it
doesn't have the strike bezel of the Surefire E2DL unfortunately.

I would also like to have a flashlight that takes AA batteries pref a 2AA flashlight. Apart from TK20 Any other recommendations here?

Like Gunner12 has said, AA batteries are more redily available. I'm not too keen on proprietary batteries or ones that are not widely available. The lithium CR123A and RCR123 type batteries do seem to be more readily available, though they do cost quite a lot and I'm not sure they will remain so widely available in the future as AA batteries? I would use rechargeables though in both cases.

The CR123A lithium batteries can last a long time but are quite expensive. With rechargeables you can use solar to recharge them so if you don't have power for any length of time you're still good to go especially if you have AA rechargeables.

The 18650 battery, I think this pretty much comes under the proprietary or unique type of battery that I try and avoid. After having a bad
experience with Sony MiniDisc and their unique gumstick batteries that are hard to source and very expensive to replace I think i'd like to pass on this type.

So far the only flashlights I own are a mini maglite non-led that works off 1 AAA, a bulky wind up led torch, a cheap led head light.

1) I am now leaning towards the PD30 as a multi purpose flashlight seems to have all the bells and whistles. I don't think its as rugged and
tactical looking as the Surefire E2DL though and doesn't have the strike bezel.

2) Need to find a good 2AA led flashlight I'd prefer multi modes but ideally I'd like to have a low power mode with just 5 lumens that gives
you upto 100 hours of runtime, then a regular mode maybe 100 lumens for perhaps 10 hours runtime.

3) Any recommendations for a tactical multi mode led flashlight with strike bezel like the E2DL or TA30 that runs on 2AA or 2 RCR123A's?

4) Any recommendations for a decent led headlight with multimodes?

My budget is around £50 ($80 US Dollars) max for flashlight.

I believe the Fenix TA30 looks more like the style of the Surefire E2DL that I drool over. It looks rugged, tactical, military, strike bezel, heavy duty style but one of the reviews I read wasn't too complimentary saying that it has the dark rings and wasn't designed so well.

If anyone can tell me anything else that looks similar to Surefire's E2DL in design with the strike bezel that doesn't cost as much I'd appreciate it.

BTW, my interest in flashlights has been reignited by a recent power cut that we had, and also after reading the story of Esteban Morales and
what life has been like for him in Argentina after that countries economic collapse. You can read his story here: http://www.silverbearcafe.com/private/10.08/tshtf1.html

Cheers for all the advice so far.

John

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
My advice is to buy what you want the first time. It might be more expensive. You might have to wait on the purchase to afford it. But trust me, don't compromise based on cost. It took me a long time to realize that the 3 or 4 cheaper lights I bought trying to find the 'cheap alternative' cost me way more than buying what I wanted the first time.

DM51

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, john10001.

A more specific thread title would probably help people to give you better advice.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
2) Need to find a good 2AA led flashlight I'd prefer multi modes but ideally I'd like to have a low power mode with just 5 lumens that gives
you upto 100 hours of runtime, then a regular mode maybe 100 lumens for perhaps 10 hours runtime.

3) Any recommendations for a tactical multi mode led flashlight with strike bezel like the E2DL or TA30 that runs on 2AA or 2 RCR123A's?
John;

Everything that you are looking for can be found. You have just given a perfect description of the:

Nitecore Defender Infinity

The only difference being that it's a 1AA light rather than 2AA, so you won't get your 10-hour runtime at 100 lumens (mind you, that's never going to happen even with 2xCR123s).

[Mods - hope it's OK to post the link: if not, please remove]

vali

Enlightened
Long runtime, 2xAA, reliable, etc, etc Fenix LD20

I think is not possible to get 100 lumen for 10 hours with only 2xAA right now.

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 18650 battery, I think this pretty much comes under the proprietary or unique type of battery that I try and avoid. After having a bad
experience with Sony MiniDisc and their unique gumstick batteries that are hard to source and very expensive to replace I think i'd like to pass on this type.
18650s aren't proprietary at all -- they're the cell used in practically all Li-ion laptop batteries. Individually protected cells are a bit of a specialty item (laptop packs use unprotected cells with a single protection circuit for the whole pack; protected cells are pretty much only for flashlights), but they're still available from quite a few sources, and if anything supply is increasing. Additionally, some 18650 lights, including the Solarforce L2, can also run on 2 CR123 or even RCR123 cells, so you're not even locked into 18650s should they become hard to obtain.

They offer the best energy/size ratio of any commonly available battery, and offer the simplicity and safety of single-cell with more power and energy than 2-cell 123 (Li-ion or primary) setups. The technical advantages are both a good reason (IMHO) to invest in 18650 cells, chargers, and lights, in spite of whatever slight risk they may become unavailable, and also the reason they won't become unavailable -- they're just too good to disappear from the market.

There are only 3 downsides to 18650s, IMO:
  • No directly-compatible primaries for emergency use.
  • Establishes minimum light size -- arguably a little big for headlamps and some people's notion of EDCable lights.
  • Unfortunately, many 1x18650/2xCR123 lights under-perform on 18650 due to cheap drivers and high-Vf emitters. 18650-only lights and some combo lights are unaffected.
Considering that AA primaries (alkaline, but better Lithium) are available and mostly compatible, and that AA is plenty small for headlamps and such, I'd tend to recommend 18650 and AA as the most practical battery sizes, and CR123 (except possibly as a primary option for 18650 lights) as the one to avoid.

1) I am now leaning towards the PD30 as a multi purpose flashlight seems to have all the bells and whistles. I don't think its as rugged and
tactical looking as the Surefire E2DL though and doesn't have the strike bezel.
If you like the PD30, you might also consider the 4sevens Quark 123², also runs on 2xCR123 (primary or li-ion), has a wider selection of modes, and basically similar UI. Substantial mechanical improvements, IMO (clip, knurling, etc.). The Quarks are new, and the first batch just shipped out today, so there should be some reviews online in a few days.

Important detail: Quarks are rated by actual light output out the front (OTF) of the flashlight, but Fenixes are rated by light output from the LED, only about 70% of which makes it OTF. So while the Quark 123²'s high is rated 190lm, this should actually be slightly brighter than the PD30's rated 220lm. Again, look for head-to-head beamshots in a few days; I'm sure some review will pair these obvious competitors.

Not possible, really. AAs get 2Ah * 1.2V = 2.4Wh, 2 AA is 5Wh, getting 1000 lumen hours would require 200 lm/W. The best you'll get from 2AA is around 3 hours at 100lm.

I'm not sure what to make of your "I'd prefer ... ideally I'd like ..." construction; if you're thinking more modes is better, as long as 2 of them are at those levels, the LD20 or Quark AA² are obvious picks; the LD20 has 71h @ 9lm (about 6lm OTF), 5h @ 94lm (~67lm OTF), and 2h @ 180lm (~130lm OTF) , and the Quark has 5 days (120 h) @ 3.5lm, 5h @ 70lm, and 1.3h @ 170lm. If you meant that you'd prefer only those two modes, with a good UI for switching between them, the L2T and the tactical version of the Quark AA² (due out in a couple weeks, IIRC) would make sense. The L2T is fixed at 32h@16lm (~11lm OTF)/2.4h@152lm (~110lm), but the tactical Quarks can be programmed to any two of the 7 modes, so you could go with either 70lm or 170lm high, and either tighten for high or loosen for high -- much more versatile, and maybe hits your low target closer...