Deerlight DBS v3 light last few secs on highest setting?

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
why does my deerlight DBS V3 last only few seconds on highest setting?

I use Ternergy 2600mAH. The battery is fully charged for whole day. I turn on the light and it shuts off after few seconds.

What is wrong ? :thinking:

Is the battery draining too fast? :mecry:

The light is still cool since it lights up only few seconds. I am at lost here.

Should I get an extension tube ?

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
Hmmm.

Upgrading is your only option!

J/K....I'm not sure what is going on with your DBS. Have you tried their customer service yet?

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm.

Upgrading is your only option!

J/K....I'm not sure what is going on with your DBS. Have you tried their customer service yet?

I haven't contact customer service. I wonder if anyone has same problem. I don't know if this is deerlight or battery problem.

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi picard. My first guess would be that the battery is bad, and can't maintain voltage when placed under load. Which pill do you have in your DBS? I'm assuming either a 1S or 3SD, or perhaps a 1SM-2, as those are the only pills that will work with a single 18650. (The new 3SM pills will also, but those just came out, so I'm sure you don't have one of those).

The 1S and 3SD have low voltage protection, and will shut off when the battery's voltage under load reaches 2.7V. Do you happen to have a multimeter? If so, what is the voltage of the battery at the start? Off the charger you should be reading 4.1-4.2 volts. Do you have any other 18650's you can try?

By the way, the 1S and 3SD pills will not work with the extension tube... the voltage will be too high. :poof: :)

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok I confirm with Deerlight website. I have the DBS V2 3SD Q5 SMO pill.

Do I need a new pill to work with my Ternergy 3.7V 18650 battery?

I am really frustrated about my problem. :confused::sigh:

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
I wouldn't think you'd need a new pill.

Does your battery work in any other lights you have? Or do you have another battery to test in the DBS?

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is that a protected battery? Have you fully charged it and taken a voltage reading with a multi-meter? Are you putting the battery in with the + towards the head of the flashlight?

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't think you'd need a new pill.

Does your battery work in any other lights you have? Or do you have another battery to test in the DBS?

I have only 1 LED light that fit 18650 battery. :( I did test CR123A battery with this thing and the light also shut off pretty quick too.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have only 1 LED light that fit 18650 battery. :( I did test CR123A battery with this thing and the light also shut off pretty quick too.

How did you test a CR123A? Did you hook it directly to the pill? Use a spacer in the DBS? A single CR123A probably won't power up a 3SD.

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
How did you test a CR123A? Did you hook it directly to the pill? Use a spacer in the DBS? A single CR123A probably won't power up a 3SD.

I used 2 CR123A without spacers. I have Ternergy CR123A

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well if it's a 3SD you've probably fried the LED...

why do you think the LED is fried ? I can turn on the light at lower settings. If it is fried, the light wouldn't turn on at all.

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast

Do you recommend another pill for me? I look at the Deerlight website and I am still confused. There are several pills for DBS V3. Which pill will work with my 18650 3.7V Ternergy protected cells. :thinking::thinking::thinking:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I used 2 CR123A without spacers. I have Ternergy CR123A
In case you haven't noticed, the site clearly says that the 3SD module is for 2.8-4.2v. In case you don't know the batteries you have are probably 3.6v fully charged. That means you are pushing 7.2v through a drop-in meant for a max of 4.2v. That is a good amount above what it was meant to take.

You could have had a bad 18650, but now you probably have a fried drop-in. I think Dereelight might have had a voltage protection for their drop-in. If they do, you are lucky because you'll still have a module (can't get a replacement drop-in for user error of not reading the specs).

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you put 2xCR123's or 2xR123's in your DBS with a 3SD pill you may well have damaged it.