Upgrading LED in McLux at a later date

ExMB

Newly Enlightened
Does anybody have a mounting scheme for the emmiter in a Mclux that will be secure, yet allow the owner to upgrade or change color at a later time?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
If you are willing to trash the current LED, it shouldn't present too much of a problem provided the LED is thermal epoxied in place. You can unsolder the leads and then pop off the old LED. If the LED is potted as Leo has done with the TK's then It isn't a good idea.

- Don

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't touch the TK models even if you could take the emitter out... That's what the DIY parts are for... I'm planning to use some AS adhesive on the DIYs when it arrives...

ExMB

Newly Enlightened
This would be for a DIY. What is AS adhesive? Arctic Silver?
Can it be removed at a later date without causing too much damage, I realize the LED would mostly likely be unsalvageable, but it is the head itself that is irreplaceable.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
ExMB,

Cook the head in an electric oven at 175 F (after unsoldering leads). When you think the head has reached 175, remove it with a leather glove and using a screw driver, apply sideward force to the LED and you should be able to get it to break free.

One caution to those planning to use red or orange LED's or wizard boards; use arctic alumina epoxy and I reccomend a thin coat on the emitter (let it gell) and then an additional coat on the heat sink bulkhead for bonding. The EN is electrically conductive and in the cases mentioned above, the emitter must be isolated from ground. It really sucks when this isolation isn't accomplished!

- Don

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
ExMB, there's Arctic Silver Adhesive and Arctic Alumina epoxy... Don recommends ArcAlumina, and I'm not gonna argue...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Raindrop

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
ExMB said:
Does anybody have a mounting scheme for the emmiter in a Mclux that will be secure, yet allow the owner to upgrade or change color at a later time?

[/ QUOTE ]

As a newbie to the Candle Power Forums the McLux bug bit me pretty hard. I am curious if you are looking to change out the emitter for a different color or you were more interested in changing to a different configuration LED ??? I know that in one of the other McLux threads that the light that Don / McGizmo sent over to Singapore had a high dome in it which sparked a lot of interest. After getting my first McLux today courtesy of McGizmo I can finally say I understand where all the interest in this light came from. I don't want to change a thing in this one, and would think your best route would be to consider buying a McLux head unit from Dat2Zip and experimenting with that one. Then again maybe you have lots of McLuxes and you can justify playing around with them.

Since I don't consider myself a modder, I took the route of buying several in different configurations. I have a couple of heads on the way that I had set up with 500mA boards with select Luxeons so that I could play around with the different lights. I know that a couple of the other dream team skunkworks guys offered to set them up so I change the configuration, but I figured the best bet is just have different lights.

So after all of that, is there something I am missing in your idea of not potting the heads?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
BentBeak /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif,

I use Arctic Silver for bonding the LED's in every case where the slug doesn't need to be isolated. But I switch to the arctic alumina when the electrons aren't supposed to get out.

- Don

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cookie! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif
Maybe that's why on my very first mod, I exploded my LS using Arctic Silver near its 2 contacts...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

ExMB

Newly Enlightened
Sadly, at the moment, I have no Mclux's.
I am getting ready to order a DIY kit, but I can only afford one right now.

I just want to be sure I can put this thing together so that it can be upgraded as LED and contoller tech advances.

After all at nearly $100, I look at the chasis as an investment, not something that will quickly become obsolete because the internals become obsolete.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
ExMB,

If you build it well, the value will be there now and will still be there tomorrow even though better and brighter stuff will be out. If you decide to re power the light, there shouldn't be any problems. Then again, you may not feel like tearing into something you created. You might want to start over from scratch with a new chasis and keep this one as is. You will have many options. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

- Don

ExMB

Newly Enlightened
Only if you guys keep keep up the good work, and keep up the manufacturing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Thanks for putting up with my questions.

Raindrop

Enlightened
ExMB,

I guarantee that you will be happy and I echo your sentiments about the Skunkworks / Dream Team groups efforts. The McLux is in a class all by itself compared to "factory" produced lights. I started out with Dat2Zip mods to Minimags and that led to the McLux. After getting hooked on these things I think one of the considerations you should look at is the ability of the form factor to support a higher wattage LED. Hopefully the Skunkworks guys will find a means of bringing out the Supercharged head for the McLux and that can be the next basis for your modifications. I know that I want one already just from my limited exposure. Good luck, you have picked a great starting point.