Acrylic or Perspex

Sober

Newly Enlightened
Hi There,

I need some help with a red lens filter for a P7 m@g.

I am currently using Acrylic/Perspex that is about 2.5mm thick and its kills the throw on the m@g.

Should I try a thinner lens or is there another way to get around this?

I was thinking of some thin red film that I can stick onto clear glass or something.

Regards :confused:

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im no expert in this field ( or any other ) but surely its more to do with the lack of red a P7 can produce.
Wouldnt you be better off with a red XR-E. Less power and more output post filter.

Sober

Newly Enlightened
Im no expert in this field ( or any other ) but surely its more to do with the lack of red a P7 can produce.
Wouldnt you be better off with a red XR-E. Less power and more output post filter.

I used the same red filter with the original incan setup, the P7 is alot brighter than the incan, I will try these "GEL SHEETS" and see how they perform.

Regards

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used the same red filter with the original incan setup, the P7 is alot brighter than the incan, I will try these "GEL SHEETS" and see how they perform.

Regards

Packhorse is right. Forget what you are trying to do. Leaving only the red from white LEDs is about the worst way to get a red light. Just use a red LED to begin with.

Illum

Flashaholic

LEDs lack Red and Green...while having an abundant blue in the field.
While there will be light coming through the red filter its not very useable:thinking:

the P7 on spot focus might actuallt melt though a dark enough filter paper much like infrared light from incandescent, but in this case absorption of the colored spectrum

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
mind you, there is no colored P7s yet :huh:
Sure there are. All those P7s are green with envy as they look over to their brother MC-Es. Seriously now. Of course there are no colored P7s. That is hardly a constraint here though. Anyone who can solder can swap out that P7 for something else.

The Dane

Enlightened
LEDs lack Red and Green...while having an abundant blue in the field.
While there will be light coming through the red filter its not very useable:thinking:

the P7 on spot focus might actuallt melt though a dark enough filter paper much like infrared light from incandescent, but in this case absorption of the colored spectrum

Ehhh, no!

This types of gel's are made for 1000W PAR 64 spots so a 12W LED is not going to put a dent in that fender.

Sober

Newly Enlightened
Ehhh, no!

This types of gel's are made for 1000W PAR 64 spots so a 12W LED is not going to put a dent in that fender.

Errr,

I was thinking the same thing.

My biggest concern is that this M@g needs to light up and area up to 50 yards, I am still waiting for my "gel sheets" to arrive in the post.

Does anyone have beamshots of these "Luxeon III in red or red/orange" and how do they perform with the M@g MOP reflector?

Regards

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Errr,

I was thinking the same thing.

My biggest concern is that this M@g needs to light up and area up to 50 yards, I am still waiting for my "gel sheets" to arrive in the post.

Does anyone have beamshots of these "Luxeon III in red or red/orange" and how do they perform with the M@g MOP reflector?

Regards

Hi - The light I have is not 50 mm size reflector - more like 25mm. I don't have any beamshots, and I think one of my kids ran off with it. Let me see if I can find it.

50 yds is pretty far for a 200 (rated) lumen setup. As a practical matter, a lot of reflectors / optics only hit 10 - 15 Lux / lumen at 1 yd, a few are at 25. Even 1,000 lux is not that much if you are shining out to 50 yds, especially if it is a critical appliction.

Is this light "for fun" or are you REALLY needing it to hit 50 yds. I am thinking that a single LED (any type) is not going to give you comfort at 50 yds. There are quite a few beamshots posted around with combinations of LEDs, incans, reflectors, etc. What have you found that looks good to you at 50 yds ?

Sober

Newly Enlightened
Well this will be used for hunting at night so I need at least 50 yards :naughty:

I have quite allot of lights that can do 100+ yards both incan and led, just no red ones.... :thinking:

For quite some time I have used a standard 5D M@g or a Lighforce 35w spotlight with red filters and I have come to the conclusion that there must be more efficient filters/red lights/led's available, so I'm going to try this gel sheets that "The Dane" mentioned, but I'm interested in the red luxion III led's, maybe 3 or 4 of them in a M@g 3/4D?

Just wanted to see how bright this 150+ lumen luxion III is and if it would be worth going for a multi emitter setup?
Is it even possible to build a M@g based light that can achieve this goal?

Regards

BillyNoMates

Newly Enlightened
I've just finished a light for my bike which, with a bit more work, could be converted to a headtorch. I've tried this with 5x Red Luxeon Rebels driven at 750mA each. At that drive the lamp should be pumping out ~400lm of pure red. This light puts out a LOT of red light - it will reflect of car tail-reflectors at least 100m away even in a streetlight area. I'll try to get out and take some photos as soon as I can so you can use it as an example.

The Dane

Enlightened
Sensitivity in daylight vs. darkness
Our eyes are most sensitive in daylight to green light around 550nm and slightly less sensitive to yellow light.
They are approximately half as sensitive to orange light and only about a tenth as sensitive to red and violet
light. Therefore, for example, we can see a 100-Watt green light bulb three times farther away than we can a
red or violet bulb of the same power.

http://www.powertechnology.com/PDFs/WP_eyecolorsensitivity.pdf

You need more power, much more power!

http://www.amastro2.org/at/ot/othcs.html

Last edited: