Lab tests of the Arc-LS output

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last week I commissioned a light lab in Scottsdale to test our lights and several of our competitors. They are testing 18 lights for lumen output and color tempurature using an integrating sphere and a spectrometer.

The lights being tested are:

5 LSH-P
2 LSH-S
2 LSL-P
2 AWS
2 AWP
1 X5T
2 KL1-E1e
1 E1e
1 E2e

Multiples of some of the LED units were tested because LEDs have more variations than incandescent. The more lights we test of a particular model, the better representation we get of average output from unit to unit.

All lights were pulled from stock at random and were not pre-tested for output.

Note: Because of variations among LEDs, these tests should not be understood to be an absolute comparison between models. The purpose of these tests is to provide a "ballpark" comparison between each model.

Furthermore, although these tests are being done by an independant lab, the test units themselves are being provided by a biased party (Arc). Although we did pull them from stock at random, we also limited the size of the test to 18 units (for cost reasons) which will also affect the accuracy of the test.

Competitor lights are trademarked by their respective manufacturers.

Here's some pictures of the test equipment being used:

A large and very expensive intergrating sphere. This is used to provide a high accuracy lumen measurement. It also has a fixture for measuring spectrometry. An integrating sphere is used to measure the total output of a light source because it can capture a representation of all angles of the beam.

lab1.jpg

Inside the sphere. Note the reflective coating and the fixtures for mounting lamps, etc. This coating is a proprietary mix that evenly reflects a wide range of light wavelengths. This sphere (minus the measuring equipment) is over $10k.

lab2.jpg

The measurement equipment. This takes a sample from the sphere and calculates lumen output and color temp (among other things).

lab3.jpg

These tests will take about 1-2 weeks to complete. I will post the results here when they are ready. I imagine the results will be in lab form which I will scan into jpegs.

Peter

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
Re: Lab tests of the Arc-LS output compared to others

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Looking forward to seeing the results!

-Jim

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Re: Lab tests of the Arc-LS output compared to others

Brave soul!!!! I wouldn't have even mentioned this untill AFTER the results came back!

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Lab tests of the Arc-LS output compared to oth

I suspect its not as much bravery as it is confidence. I believe he is like the attorney asking the witness questions. He knows the answers. Otherwise he wouldn't ask in front of the jury.

After I researched the Arc, I bought a couple, but not one KL1, or any other brand of LED (well, except for the A2, but that's primarily a regulated incandescent). IMO SureFire makes the finest incandescents and Arc the finest LEDs.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

eagerly awaiting!!!

ufokillerz

Enlightened

Arc is such a great company, great products and now your putting out the money to give us a more accurate reading of the lights.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

This'll be interesting... Very interesting...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dave Wright

Enlightened

What's AWS & AWP? Otherwise it looks like you're limiting it to 123 powered lights. The Inova is way less powerful. My understanding is that the Surefire lights suffer from output and color variation. It would be interesting to see Wayne's Madmax and Badboy offerings in the mix. I consider them to be standard manufactured lights on account of their availability and super easy installation. Barely more trouble than changing batteries. The standard MM & BB modules have some variation. The 2 Q3s I have, 1 MM and 1 BB, are very consistent and bright. I've wondered how they would stack up against the benchmark Arc LSH-P.

To make matters really fair and comprehensive, it would be good to also do runtime testing and somehow record the temperature at the emitter. Even if the Madmax+ w/ Q3x beats the LSH-P, you might win the day on account of runtime and temperature.

CiTY

Enlightened

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif
look forward to the results.

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast

Go Arc! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

gyverpete

Enlightened

Dave Wright,

The AWS = Standard model ARC AAA with white LED and natural type III anodize.

AWP = Same as above but Premium.

LLLean

Enlightened

I agree with the other poster that this thread shouldn't have been started till the results were available. Anyway, glad that this testing is being done. Thanks, Peter.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not many Competitors in the LS arena. Since the sandwiches are considered to be Mods, then they are out.

Should he compare Mr. Bulk's and Skunk Lights creations??? They aren't really competitors.

In any case, the results will be interesting.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Charles Bradshaw said:
Not many Competitors in the LS arena. Since the sandwiches are considered to be Mods, then they are out.

Should he compare Mr. Bulk's and Skunk Lights creations??? They aren't really competitors.

In any case, the results will be interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure I agree with that assessment. Why is a drop-in LED module considered a MOD in this arena? It's a product which is put together by a company and sold to the public. What's the difference between that and what ARC is doing? I too am interested in the results, however I can already give you a very good guess of the results of the Top-3, however I won't. Hey, maybe we should start a pool.

While I can appreciate why Peter is doing this, I question the funding for this test. At a miminum, I'd expect it to cost several thousand dollars. Several thousand dollars devided by the number of ARC sold, may equal several dollars which could be taken off the price of the product. To my knowledge, the LS series is still shipping in ZipLock bags to keep costs down, but for some marketing reason, ARC finds it necessary to perform tests to unviel what a normal CPF'er would know by reading the reviews and comparisions on this board. Since the only marketing of the product is done here, it doesn't make sense to be to pay to tell us what we already have a pretty good idea about.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast

In my opinion, the Arc puts out more light than the SF KL1. Now, that's a great selling point for Arc. We all kind of know that, but there's a larger public out there who is probably either in the dark or confused about which is brighter.

My assumption is that Peter knows what he's doing and is looking at a longer-term picture than we are. I would guess that the results of these tests will create additional sales for Arc, leading to lower costs per unit, which will enable Arc to keep prices lower than they otherwise would be.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

That's my point. Up to this point in time, WE are the "public". Is there a near-time goal to put the ARC in the Wal-Marts of the world? If not, this independant testing is no comprehensible to me.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast

Are you sure WE are all of the public? Don't you think there are more people than us here at CPF who buy quality flashlights? I have no data on it, but I have to think that good flashlights are bought, at least as gifts, by folks in the upper income brackets. The Arc LS is for the guy who has everything. And it seems especially true when access to all that's available is so free on the web.

As I say, I have no data to support these thoughts, but I bet Peter does. It would be interesting to see how many LSs he sells and what percentage are owned by CPF members. Evidently you believe we buy the majority. That is not my belief. But, I don't think we'll get access to those data. All we have are our guesses and beliefs.

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think Peter may want to expand his market. It would be hard to refer to the CPF in ads on Airplanes and other media. This would give independent validity to a reader in a magazine or other forum not restricted to the Internet. To a lot of people this could be an impulse buy. A few hundred bucks would be nothing to some people wanting to give an obvious quality gift.

It may also be a good tool to help the dealers promote the product and help bring on dealers.

Status
Not open for further replies.