US proposed knife ban could include any one hand opening knives

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned.

From http://www.kniferights.org/

The U.S. Government is after your Pocket Knives! In a sneak attack, U.S. Customs has proposed revoking earlier rulings that assisted opening knives are not switchblades. The proposal would not only outlaw assisted opening knives, its overly broad new definition of a switchblade would also include all one-handed opening knives and most other pocket knives!

There is currently a very short time period to send snail mail to the Customs (CBP) to comment. Letters must be received by CBP no later than June 21st.

More info and suggestions for letters can be accessed at the kniferights website.

http://www.kniferights.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=76&Itemid=150

Last edited:

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting read, but it seems unlikely this would happen.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well i don't like that, I recently heard that my friends, friend got arrested for having a one handed opening knife on him and it wasn't an auto or assisted it was a axis lock.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry a spydercard in my wallet. That's still legal, right?

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Our new weapon laws in Germany did exactly that. Now any knife that can be opened one-handed is, well, not exactly illegal, but have no right to have it equipped.

So ... don't count on it that it won't happen in your country.

bernie

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
afaik, its illegal to carry any sort of knife in Singapore without a valid reason. And even then. I think its down to individual policemen here to decide.

Crenshaw

AncientSword

Newly Enlightened
The whole world is going crazy. Make it illegal for regular citizens to carry any weapon and only criminals will have them. I get it. Why can't "they"?

If you think this can't happen here, you are sadly mistaken. Speak up for your rights while you still can.

edit. I did write to my worthless reps in washington and the border patrol.... as did my whole family and all my friends.

Last edited:

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
The whole world is going crazy. Make it illegal for regular citizens to carry any weapon and only criminals will have them. I get it. Why can't "they"?

A pocket knife is not a weapon it is a commonly used everyday tool. If you want to keep em legal you should talk about them as tools. Just a suggestion when you write Customs and your representatives.

Illum

Flashaholic

If you think this can't happen here, you are sadly mistaken. Speak up for your rights while you still can.

you should see the news article about an old lady whos house got robbed. She squeezed off a round at him and deterred the burgular and later the man sues the old lady for shooting him and supposedly that case didn't get thrown out but was actually processed :shrug:

Heres my opinion: either ban single hand opener knives, or allow EDC of fix blades...thats an either-or deal.

If theres no knives that can only with a single hand in the market it basically turns buying folders into a moot point. :ohgeez:

Last edited:

n_den

Newly Enlightened
:wtf: great, another stupid ban. f that. i've been carrying knives since i was 10. just read the proposed ban for Hawaii. there's no way i'm gonna stand for this in my home state. thanks for the info!!! n_den

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is seriously messed up! It wasn't long ago that Forbes had a list of the 20 most Important Tools of All Time. Guess what is #1 as the most important tool of all time - YES it is the KNIFE. And these morons are trying to make it essentially illegal for any useable knife to be owned or carried? :banghead: :mad: This has got to be stopped. Do they really think that having a knife that takes two hands to open is going to stop any law abiding :)whistle:) criminals from using it in a bad way? And the criminal criminals from using illegal knives? :shakehead What exactly is it they think they are going to accomplish? :wtf: I suppose more sheeplizing is their goal.

Illum

Flashaholic
its called politics

policy makers hear out the rich critics on top and take their money while promising a change to the advantage of the critics, they do this by scaring the public and toughening up on regulations that have been guaranteed standards since the day the amendments were written... then do completely nothing about it after they recieve their score of the bargain.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
If you read the proposed law it will prohibit the importation of such knives into the US, not their ownership by citizens. Still not a good thing, but not an outright ban as some here seem to think.

gbleeker

Newly Enlightened
If you read the proposed law it will prohibit the importation of such knives into the US, not their ownership by citizens. Still not a good thing, but not an outright ban as some here seem to think.

That is correct but unfortunately as with everything in this country, one law leads to another one. Whatever the nanny state can do to control what its private citizens do to protect themselves is the ultimate goal here.

Preventing any such law by calling etc should be what happens. Conceding small losses is a losing scenario for any knife or gun owner.

gbleeker

Newly Enlightened
A pocket knife is not a weapon it is a commonly used everyday tool. If you want to keep em legal you should talk about them as tools. Just a suggestion when you write Customs and your representatives.

Knives are weapons too. Why water it down? The fact of the matter is they are unconstitutionally taking away the right to own a knife, weapon, tool whatever you want to call it. Don't bother trying to sugar coat it by refusing to call it a weapon.

Knives are a tool. Knives can be a weapon. And you deserve to own one regardless.

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's probably a few other sides to this. I'm not bringing them here, just saying.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ya know, I think they ought to ban sticks as well! Sharpen the point and ya got yerself one deadly weapon there!:shakehead Sarcasm of course...

I own a fairly large custom made knife collection many pieces of which I suspect would be prohibited with this.....Don't think it can't happen. Due to some misplaced thought many years ago automatic knives were pretty much universally banned because of a few sensational movies in the 50s and 60s. I may live a sheltered life in a small community but I sure don't hear of any knife crime breakouts in the news either....I sure as H___ won't ask, "what next"?

Karl

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Knives are weapons too. Why water it down? The fact of the matter is they are unconstitutionally taking away the right to own a knife, weapon, tool whatever you want to call it. Don't bother trying to sugar coat it by refusing to call it a weapon.
This is a correct, and crucial point. Well done, gbleeker.

To only allow yourself to speak within the boundaries set by ban-minded authoritarians is to accept their premises, which will leave you completely defenseless... no matter how much you complain to them about needing your Tailwind assist to open flashlight packages from other CPF'ers. This is an issue of rights, and the continued overstepping of governmental power.