What can I do with a 2C Maglite?

Deegle

Newly Enlightened
A while ago I modified a 2C Maglite and gave it to my father in law. I set it up to run on 3 CR123 batteries, using a PVC cut to length to keep them in place. I replaced the bulb with a higher power one from RadioShack. It was really bright and he loved it, until it stopped working. It isn't the bulb. I tried that. And no, the batteries aren't dead. I'm wondering if there is an easy LED mod I could do to it to make it brighter, and most importantly, work again. Any ideas?

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
A while ago I modified a 2C Maglite and gave it to my father in law. I set it up to run on 3 CR123 batteries, using a PVC cut to length to keep them in place. I replaced the bulb with a higher power one from RadioShack. It was really bright and he loved it, until it stopped working. It isn't the bulb. I tried that. And no, the batteries aren't dead. I'm wondering if there is an easy LED mod I could do to it to make it brighter, and most importantly, work again. Any ideas?

Get one of these or similar drop in and convert it to 2x18650 rechargeable and see the difference.
You may find many other options for higher price and some of them requires skills.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Assuming your 2C Mag serial number begins with the letter "C", the 2C/3C Malkoff Maglite module is probably your best bet. However, if you mod the 2C Mag yourself, you probably can select a specific driver board for 2C that will deliver more than 600mA to the LED.

Deegle

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys. But these options look expensive. Anything I can do that is cheap? If I have to spend more than $30 on this, I'd rather just buy him a decent 2AA light - maybe the new Quark.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
$30 is a tough price point. A C Mag heat sink is going to cost you roughly $15. A U-bin SSC P4 from DX is $5. DX lists several drivers (presumably boost) for about $5 that run in the roughly 1V-4V range, which covers 2xC alkaline cells. However, I have no experience with these drivers, and cannot vouch for their quality. For about $5, you can also order a pack of 5 glass Mag windows from KD. Sell the other 4 to recover some of your costs. You can use the stock Mag reflector with the SSC P4 and get a nice beam. That saves you $15 that you'd spend buying a KD orange peel Mag reflector. If you already have wire, solder, soldering iron, thermal epoxy, C alkalines, etc, then you can meet your $30 limit.

IMO, the biggest unknown is the driver. If you get a good, cheap one from DX, you are golden. Maybe someone else knows which one to get.

I've used the Badboy Nexgen in my 2C Mag mods, but that boost driver costs $17. But if can relax your price point to about $45, IMO the BBNG1000 driver is an excellent choice.

Last edited:

Al Combs

Enlightened
:welcome:
I don't know about the TLE-300 fitting or not. But as JustinCase mentioned, there is the Malkoff Mag-C drop-ins. The C 4-5-6 I guess would be the brightest @ 1,100 ma to the LED. You would need a pair of Li-Ions for this to work in a 2C Mag. He says the C 2-3 with 3 cells has 1 amp @ the LED. So I guess 3 of these 4/5 Sub C's would work. They would definitely fit in a 2C. 2 full sized C cells would only give 600 ma to the LED. That you probably would notice.

You would also need to cut the cam tube off the back of the stock plastic reflector. Gene does sell precut reflectors if you'd rather not bother with the hacksaw routine.

That seems like a nice combo: 2C-Mag, 2*IMR26500 and a TLE-300. But what's different about a pewter C-Mag that would allow a TLE-300 to fit? Can you describe what about either the head or the drop-in needs to be modified? I do have limited access to a small shop. How difficult is it?

Also I've heard the batteries are slightly too large. They require the body to be bored out or the shrink-wrap replaced with Kapton tape. I have heard the tape method may not be entirely safe. I guess 1 mil is so thin it could easily be damaged inserting it.
If the mag is pewter it'll fit.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys. But these options look expensive. Anything I can do that is cheap? If I have to spend more than $30 on this, I'd rather just buy him a decent 2AA light - maybe the new Quark.

This is another choice if you want to go for less than $30
This is not as bright but within your price limit.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Check this thread (Maglite drop-ins and mods). A drop-in could be a good choice.

First, put back the normal batteries and bulb to make sure the light still works. It could be the switch.

Al Combs

Enlightened
Sorry, I didn't see the price point. The Gunner12 link is the one I would have pointed you to.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the mag is pewter it'll fit.

I have a new C series numbered Pewter 2C Mag and when I removed the stickers it sure fit my IMR C cells.:twothumbs

The trouble I had was getting them out. I had to bang it against my thigh, but they came out. Now, maybe a bit of sand paper on the red protective layer:devil:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
A single AA light would be even easier to carry. Some can take a single 14500 battery, which will give a lot more output (with a shorter runtime). But a good light costs a lot, and cheaper lights are usually, well, cheaper made. There are some decent cheaper 1 AA lights, but they won't be as bright as the 3 AAA one you have. A 2 AA light would be longer, but you'll get more runtime with a narrower body. The Romisen RC-N3 II from Shiningbeam could be a good next light for you. 6% off coupon is "CPFuser"

Also, buying batteries, lights, and so on online is seems to be cheaper for people in the UK then buying from the UK, even after shipping tax sometimes.

I think we should either move this to PM, or start a new thread as to no hijack this thread any longer :)