Looking for Keychain light and more powerful AA/CR123 light

luckylefty01

Newly Enlightened
Hi everybody,

Thus far my flashlight experience has been limited to a Peak Kino Bay and Kilimanjaro 1 LED (the latter of which I recently lost and am looking to replace), but I'm in the mood to expand that a bit.

I'm looking both to replace the lost Kilimanjaro on my keychain and possibly find another brighter light somewhere above the Kino Bay as far as light output goes, and I figured coming to the experts was probably the best way to come away with things I'd like.

I'm not tied to buying more Peak lights, and although happy with the Peaks I've owned in some ways I'd actually like to see what other manufacturers have to offer.

As far as the Keychain light goes, I think I'd like something a couple hairs brighter than the Kilimanjaro, which although great for reading was a little dim for lighting the ground at my feet at night. I did like the fact that it ran on AAAs.

As far as the more powerful light, I'm guessing I'd find either another AA or a CR123 light most appealing (the latter of which I've never owned), but I'm open to anything, really. This would be mostly for walking at night and such when I knew I was going out and wanted to be able to illuminate things at a distance.

I also might be interested in a holster for it that would attach to the strap of my bag (1.5 inches wide).

-LL

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore EZAA. :) for a small light.
fenix LD01 for a smaller one...

either one will keychain.. but the ezaa is 1xAA, wheras the LD01 is 1xAAA

obvious difference is runtime.

for things at a distance.. I suggest you get something bigger.
for a cr123a light.. maybe a solarforce L2m.. that light includes a extension tube to upgrade to 18650 if you ever take the plunge..

solarforce is budget stuff, unless you're in for something more expensive..

Last edited:

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Peak Pacific with a P4 (quite a step up in performance from a 5mm led) is available in any of four power levels and can be had in various battery tube configurations - AAA, 2AAA, AA, and CR2 (the extra tubes in either stainless, brass or HAIII are very inexpensive and add a lot of flexibility to these lights). When walking at night I carry my Pacific AA with a LiIon 14500, which is almost insanely bright and has a great throwing beam with plenty of spill.

LiIon's should only be used - and recharged - after you've studied the cautions these batteries require. CPF is full of great posts on LiIon batteries, and used properly they provide a huge increase in performance in those lights that can handle them. The Pacific will handle the higher voltage and the heat from either 10440's (AAA size) or 14500's (AA size), although I use mine in fairly short bursts for only as long as required. The Peak momentary switch is great for that.

luckylefty01

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, I like the look of those, especially the EZAA.

Is there a guide around as to how bright 15/130 lumens actually is? Can anybody who has both tell me if the low setting is likely to be brighter or dimmer than the Peak Kilimanjaro?

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
For your keychain a Fenix LD01. Its simple to use and has a very bright high 80 lumens and a good low 10 lumens with a general mode 27 lumens that comes on first.

IMHO their is no better keychain light.

For your brighter light needs a Fenix PD30 or PD20(both come with holster) to match the LD01.

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Fenix P1D Cree for your key chain.Very bright and small enough to fit.

luckylefty01

Newly Enlightened
Just to give you guys a bit of closure, I decided to go with the EZ AA (backordered, unfortunately) as I keep my keys hooked to a beltloop, size is only moderately important and this seemed like a good choice, an LD20, so as to keep with the AA theme of my lights, and enable my next purchase, a Maha c-9000 with 12 AA Eneloops.

Hopefully these will keep me busy for a while.

Thanks for all the great suggestions!