UltraFire RL-2088 / Raptor - enroute - Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tora

Newly Enlightened
I have the UltraFire RL-2088 1300 Lumens 6 Die Osram LED / Raptor - 1 / Spiderfire L2 Cree RED LED Flashlight Torch 6v 6p G2 enroute. :paypal:
I shall be conducting beamshots of them against my present Streamlight Stinger DS LED from close to progressively farther distance to failure. The first 3 flashlights are to replace my Stinger for work. The Stinger is to be my new car utility light. In a couple of weeks they should arrive. There is a park nearby that has very little ambient light and a huge white painted water tower (some 3,000,000 gals), the base of which should provide a perfect reflector of the lights.

I know - what kind of work would need all of these lights?

I am a Correctional Officer 21 yrs. on the job. I have worked all of those at night. I presently work the yard. We have some 800 - 1300 inmates in open bay barracks on a football sized field being the common area - with 9 Officers assigned. The inmates come out at night also for a limited period of time. The yard is actually poorly lit. I shall use the SpiderFire for night checks in the barracks, the Raptor shall be perfect to spotlight individuals from 100 yrds, and the UltraFire is perfect for group lighting and for scooting the inmates back in when we lock down. The later two are also perfect momentary blinders against aggressive individuals.

Up until a few weeks ago I had never realized the lighting options available to me. My options were limited to what the uniform stores offered and I then discovered CandlePower Forums. Your input on the forums proved to me that there is a major difference - I shall give back to the Forum as I have gained a lot from everyone here.lovecpf

This is a shot of the UltraFire RL-2088 from the seller. Distance unknown - but appears to be quite a distance away.

RL-2088-shot-3-1.jpg

Stay tuned - I shall be providing my shots soon. :popcorn:

As I am a flashlight neophyte and I am not particularly scientifically/mechanically adept - any suggestions as how to conduct the beam shots? I shall be using a Pentax Optio 550 5 Megapixal camera with 5x optical zoom.

When I receive all 3 flashlights I shall give close shots of 10 ft or so and moving back by 50 yrds or so at a time until the patterns or no longer discernable. I shall also give the width of the target to give you an idea of beam pattern width. Any input would be appreciated as the results shall be for all of you. :thumbsup:

06/10/09 - Below are my Raptor shots........I never claimed to be a Photography buff! The shot of the .20 of a mile is terrible - I hand held the camera while holding the Raptor also. But it will give you an idea at distant shots. The water tank is 3,000,000 gal - The dia is unknown but the pedestal is approximately 50 ft. in dia. - There was a lot more ambient light than when I had last gone here - they added lighting at the bottom and street lights everywhere. The light was actually brighter in life. I used 5x optical zoom. I had run out of backup room or I would have gone back farther. Sorry for the sorry shot - it was all I could do with my camera and my lack of photo skills. :ironic:

Fullscreencapture617200953137PM.jpg

The Raptor at .10 of a mile / 160 Meters / 174 Yrds. - Est. Dia. of main beam: 15 ft.

IMGP4905.jpg

The Raptor at .15 of a mile / 239 Meters / 262 Yrds. - Est. Dia of main beam: 25 feet - 5x optical zoom

IMGP4909.jpg

Raptor at .20 of a mile / 346 Meters / 378 Yrds. - Est. Dia. of main beam: 35 ft. Had to go with this - started getting light outside on my stabilized shot at .20 mile. - 5x optical zoom

IMGP4904.jpg

Last edited:

Tora

Newly Enlightened
Re: UltraFire RL-2088 / Raptor - enroute

Sorry - moved battery question to battery posts.

Last edited:

mpkav

Newly Enlightened

Thats great Tora, can't wait to see your pics. I'm in the same boat as you. Just now found out the great lighting options that are actually out there!!! I have been a police officer for 8 years and have only really known the mag lights, streamlights, and surefire. So many other lights out there it's amazing!!!!!

Tora

Newly Enlightened

Ah - a fellow Officer. I shall have the pics up as soon as the lights come in. I shall have the brightest lights on the yard! Thanks for the reply.

Tora

Newly Enlightened

Got the Gerber Infinity red LED - I shall not be testing this as this is an ultra dim light. I am sure it will not show up in the pictures.

Gerber-Infinity-Ultra-M-Red-large-2.gif

Design/fit and finish - Excellent

Function - USELESS :mad:

This must be a very old led design. Even the smallest keychain lights have a much greater output than this. It won't even function as a map light well. The beam fades out in total darkness at around 15 ft. It is such a disappointment as the structure is well made.

I shall be editing the initial post to reflect a replacement purchase:

Spiderfire L2 Cree RED LED Flashlight Torch 6v 6p G2

Last edited:

skids625

Newly Enlightened

Welcome-and so it starts!, i am an rn in a sheriff's dept. jail. I found this site and became addicted, but worst of all have infected many deputies! Its almost painful to be off a few days to come back and see what's been newly purchased,@ work i use either a fenix tk-11-r2 or one of many romisens.

Tora

Newly Enlightened

Ah - I knew there had to be more - We love our flashlights!

Actually - I shall not tell my fellow officers about this site until I get my flashlights in. I want to enjoy at least a month of being the best lights in the house. Then I'll steer them this way. :)

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast

I wonder how's RL-2088 comparing to EZNITE even if the latter is a HID.

Tora

Newly Enlightened

06-09-09 - The Raptor 1 - HAS ARRIVED :huh:

It is beautiful - I am charging the batteries now!!!

I shall get some beam shots of it tonight.

High quality fit and finish.

Feels good in the hand.

BEAUTIFUL.... BEAUTIFUL...BEAUUUTIFUUL!

I can't wait for nightfall - I never thought I could get so excited by a flashlight. I shall report on actual usage later on this night. I have two other lights coming in and I shall then do direct comparison shots - but for tonight, I shall test the Raptor alone for distance shots. :)

icaruz

Newly Enlightened

cant wait for the beamshot / runtime. Still have to choose between RL_2008, Legion II or the new Wolf Eyes.

Tora

Newly Enlightened

:p I got a message from the seller of the UltraFire RL-2088 today - it is on its way today - he was holding the order because I had asked about the holster that comes with it. He was out and he said it would be 2 weeks for a new supply. I told him to send the flashlight now and send the holster when it comes in. It should be here in a week or so.

hazna

Enlightened

You should try using a tripod or a flat steady surface to place your camera on. That should result in less blurry shots.

Tora

Newly Enlightened

I shall buy an inexpensive one (I've spent my allotted uniform allowance for this 6 months on flashlights - the 3 - we get $450.00 every 6 months) tonight for all my other shots. I was too excited last night to wait until today to buy one for the first shots - perhaps I shall retake the Raptor's beam on another object tonight.

Last edited:

Norm

Retired Administrator

You don't always need a tripod, you can sit your camera on a firm surface and use the auto timer.
Norm

Tora

Newly Enlightened

I must walk across a large park (sports park - soccer fields) to take some of these shots and there are no objects out there. I just bought one for $15.00 at Target - 50" high. It should be perfect. Tonight...lights...camera...you know. :)

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast

The ligth looks well made. 2 osram Die lights have been tested by MrGman and neigher hit 700 out the front lumens. I sure hope this Ultrafire can at least get 700~800 out the front lumens:twothumbs

Good find, seems very reasonably priced too.

cuttingedge

Newly Enlightened

I received my UltraFire RL-2088 on 6/8/09 from hkelvisfever's Ebay auction. First of all, the shipping was free and I received it exactly one week after the close of the auction. I felt this was very impressive since it came from Hong Kong. Packaging left a little to be desired but light was in great shape anyway. There was no paper work or instructions. This light is built like a tank. It is really heavy but very compact.
It has a battery carrier for the 3 18650's. The carrier is reasonably well built. Be sure to remember which end goes in first as there are no markings to indicate such.
My initial impression of the light is good. I really haven't had a chance to take it out to a place for unobstructed shots. I did beam it down the hill where I live and compared it to my Fenix TK40. The UF has a very cool tint with almost a purple leaning. Compared to the Tk40 it is much cooler.
The hotspot when shown on the ceiling of my house is even larger than the Tk40. When comparing the beams, the UF has more spill than the TK40 so it does not throw quite as far although it is very impressive. I was hitting a tree which measured 219 yards.When comparing the two at closer distances, the UF seems brighter than the Tk. It really casts a nice bright beam.
I know this is a very basic description but I thought I would get the discussion started. I am anxious for some of the more experienced reviewers to add some beamshots and get their feedback.
Overall I am happy with the light. It is expensive, but not out of line with comparable lights from other manufacturers. :twothumbs

Tora

Newly Enlightened

Great - I am awaiting my UF RL-2088 with great anticipation. I am scouting out some places now for comparison shots with the Streamlight ds led / Raptor / UF RL - 2088 with the Spiderfire L2 Cree RED LED for close up shots. Did yours come in black and with a belt carrier? Thanks for the info.

cuttingedge

Newly Enlightened

Mine came with a clip-on lanyard. Yes it is black as that is all he had at the time. I really don't care about the color. He was also out of the holsters but said he will send in another week or so.
Have to say that Harry has been very responsive to questions and issues.
icon12.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.