Best light for searching all nite

lumitoid

Newly Enlightened
We had a young girl abducted not far from where I live and it led me to ask this question.
What would be the brightest and best light to use for searching all night.Thanks Trent

Ratso

Enlightened
- If money is a problem, 6v lanterns. At around $5 each they are fairly bright, long throw, cheap, run forever.

- You may also consider the Streamlight Vulcan or LightBox rechargeables, with multiple wattage lamps for brightness or long runtime, in flood and spot modes.

- The UKE SL6 has a great throw and very bright, and runs about 4 hours.

- For close range, Tektite Trek 7 or SL 4AA LED Propolymer, (or just about any multi LED light with at least AA or C batteries) with hundreds of hours of runtime.

I don't recommend a lithium light because of short runtimes and high running cost.

Good luck in your search attempts,
-Ratso

lumitoid

Newly Enlightened
Im thinking of a rechargable that I can keep pluged in when im not useing it.And would run all nite.Is there a light that would give give the light of a quartz spotlight for this amount of time. Say for around a $100.00. Thanks Trent

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tec 40 with 4 NiMH AAs and KPR103 bulb (80 cents at WalMart, "2-K3").

Carry spare NiMHs or alkalines & a couple of spare bulbs, just in case.

Get a rapid charger that allows you to leave them in so they are fresh all the time (Ray-O-Vac 1 hr.).

This is a really economical (and bright!) set up, although, hopefully you wouldn't be out searching all night for lost young girls very often. :-(

lumitoid

Newly Enlightened
I was looking at Brightguys website and found the responder sr2110.Is anyone familiar with this light.It has a 8 hour run time and 150000 lumens.Could someone give me a small review if you have one.Thanks again

rlhess

Enlightened
That's a decision that I struggled with. It depends on how bright and how far you want to illuminate.

The "fireman" liteboxes made by Streamlight, Kohler-BrightStar, and others (as mentioned above) deserve consideration--I've never used one.

My thought was, however, that this is something (God willing) we don't do very often. What is the best way to have long-run time, long shelf life, and not being tied to a charger.

Unless you are in a very very cold area where the SLA cells work much better, I elected to have Alkaline-powered lights for this. I keep at least 3 dozen D cells on hand at any given time.

I selected a Underwater Kinetics D8.

While it doesn't "throw" well, it's a great light (but heavy--but not as heavy as the liteboxes) for walking in the dark because of it's wide coverage.

It has the advantage of two lamps for redundancy and runs (I think) about 6-7 hours (or more) off a set of 8 D cells. It has a 14W lamp.

I also like the Underwater Kinetics SL-6 for the long reach with reasonable run time. That runs of 6 C cells. I also keep at least 48 C cells in stock (and countless AAs).

Alkalines have a 3-5 year shelf life if you buy them fresh.

If I was going out all night, I'd take the D8 and the SL6 and a change of batteries for each probably along with my EDC (see sig). The SL6 and spare batteries would be in my shoulder bag along with my GPS and SF spares carrier.

I haven't thought much about water and clothing changes, but I think when I got to that a small daypack would be a better choice.

Let's hope we don't have to do this.

Cheers,

Richard

tygger

Enlightened
how about a craftsman 4D rubber coated work light? there's a spare bulb above the batteries in the case and a low battery indicator. i attached a petzl tikka to the end of the handle with some electronics ties. its a great all around/any event light. and really bright. or mabye a LightWave 4000 for general purpose flood?
you can leave it on for about 30 days before the batteries finally die.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
UK Light Cannon? Claims runtime of 3-4hrs, and should be pretty bright.

The downside is it is reported to be somewhat fragile.

The McCulloch X990 HID would be great as well but you'll have to switch batteries about every hour. Of course the batteries take about an hour so a third battery would be optimal, but I don't know if batteries are available (bright guy doesn't list them).

The upside is at 3200 lumans the X990 should kick butt for searching.

In both these cases I suspect they will be a bit heavy to lug around after a couple of hours.

The SF 10x might be ok with a three hour runtime with low output lamp, but not bright compared the above lights.

For the cost of the 10x or X990 you could get a couple of Streamlight Ultrastingers with fast chargers which are fairly bright. Have about three and rotate them.

Of course with all the rechargables that assumes you can get back to somewhere where you can charge them (auto probably). If you are half way up a mountain that isn't going to work well.

If it was me, I would consider trying to make a headlamp out of something like the Cateye Statium 3 (21 watt HID) and rig something up to use eight "D" cells instead of the rechargables. I'd say to use the LC guts (10 watts would probably be bright enough and give you more runtime) except for the durability. I suspect the cateye isn't nearly that delicate and it is already packaged into a nice form factor.

[edit]
Here are some HID bike/helmet lights that might be good to build a headlamp:
http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay? storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=11429478&parent_category_rn=4500819
http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeI d=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=14098207&parent_category_rn=0
http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeI d=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47533818&parent_category_rn=0
http://www.webmountainbike.com/catstadlig.html

[edit]
And what about this one (six LS Maglite)?
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=003033

-john

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LC100 is a good choice and can be ordered to run with a rechargeable battery kit. If you choose the rechargeables, you'll still be able to use regular alkalines if need be.

Why the LC100? Well...

- Waterproof
- Uses normal batteries, not costlier(unless bought online) and harder-to-find CR123s
- Lantern or pistol grip. Also possible to rig-mount to almost anything thanks to a built-in slide-rail on the plastic body.
- Long bulb-life
- Excellent blue-white HID light.
- HID is still more energy-efficient than most halogen lights.
- Described as fragile, but not as much as you think it'd be. It's not rifle-recoil proof like a Surefire, but it does take normal bumps well enough.

If you don't like the LC100, I'd say the X990 is just about the best you could get for a reasonable price.

Velcro

Enlightened
Based upon Lumitoid's requirements (bright, loooong runtime, rechargeable, around $100), IMO the only logical choice would be the:

sr2010.jpg

LSI/Koehler-Bright Star NiteTracker SR2010

Runtime is claimed at 8 hours at 150,000 CP, 12 hours at 50,000 CP and 15 hours of emergency flash at 50,000 CP (a search & rescue feature I guess). Also, it's smaller then the LiteBox, has less weight, lasts 4 hours longer at 50,000 CP (factory claimed, of course) and is a bit lower in price.

There is a topic about the LSI SR2000 150,000 CP model here. Same light, different lamp.

Hope this helps.

Greetings,
Velcro

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could you tell me a little more about the requirements for this kind of search?

I'd be tempted to say that for all night, you want a two-light system.

Your main light is a UKE 2L. Pretty bright, runs 3 hours, so you'll take one extra set of batteries with you (2x123A, very lightweight). And for thsoe times you need a spotlight, take the bright light of your choice -- since it will only be used intermittently, if my theory holds, just pick a 1-hour-runtime light that's bright enough. Surefire M4, a big streamlight of some sort, whatever.

Course, if you need spotlight-level brightness all night, my plan doesn't work.

rlhess

Enlightened
Velcro,

I would be hesitent about comparing CP numbers from ads.

For example. Two 1,000,000 CP advertised lights (a Brinkmann and a Vector) measured 65,000 and 100,000 respectively.

----------

I forgot to mention above that I don't like lantern batteries as there are no other uses for them so the original plus the spares go to waste if they're not used in the lights. There are trickle down and first-use uses for D cells.

Cheers,

Richard

Ratso

Enlightened
Let me warn you that Kholer/Brightstar's CP and runtime ratings are EXTREMELY exagerated. I'd much rather stick with a LiteBox or UK D8 on low wattage bulb.

Velcro

Enlightened
Originally posted by rlhess:
Velcro,

I would be hesitent about comparing CP numbers from ads.

For example. Two 1,000,000 CP advertised lights (a Brinkmann and a Vector) measured 65,000 and 100,000 respectively.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I know, that's why I wrote 'claimed'.
smile.gif

Greetings,
Velcro

Velcro

Enlightened
Originally posted by Ratso:
Let me warn you that Kholer/Brightstar's CP and runtime ratings are EXTREMELY exagerated. I'd much rather stick with a LiteBox or UK D8 on low wattage bulb.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You are right about LSI/K-BS's CP rating. Their new NiteTracker lights are a good example of exageration, such as 35,000 CP for their 4AA. Wrote some more about them here.
I do not know about the runtime as I do not own such a light. There are a couple of firefighters and emergency service people on this board, perhaps they can weigh in on this.

Greetings,
Velcro

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for telling me about the LSI light's exagarated run times. Now the UKE lights look even more appealing.

And that optional "lantern" handle looks really nice too!

lumitoid

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all your help.I had my mind set on the LSI sr2010 that velcro suggested. But now im leaning toward one of the UK lights because of the exagerated run time and brightness . I like the two lamps of the D8 but the LC100 might be brightest. Does anyone have both that could share a comparision.Thanks again for everyones help....Trent (Lumitoid)

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any news on the girl that was abducted ?

Sorry to steer the topic away from flashlights, but some things are just more important.

Hope its good news, too many bad things happening in the world at the moment...

lumitoid

Newly Enlightened
No they have not found her yet.It happened about 40 miles from me in Basset VA,You may have heard about it on the national news.The abductors shot both here parents in the head and took her.Reality is hell sometimes.